• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

sako TRG

joycey

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2010
Australia
i am looking into purchasing my first real long range rifle. i am heading towards the sako TRG 42 in 300 win mag. i would have got the 338lap but the south australia police have just decided to stop letting the public purchase them. i dont know a whole lot about long rang shooting, but my local gun shop owner said that the 300win mag is not a very accurate round. is this true?
just wondering if you guys could help me out. cheers

Re: sako TRG

The 300WM is an accurate round.

I bet he said that because it is a belted magnum. I have heard a bunch of people try and say the 300WM is not accurate, when I ask them why they say its not they tell me.... It is a belted magnum... So what if it is or not. It is an awesome round.

If you can't own the 338 I would go with the Winmag. But its all personal prefrence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell your local gun shop owner he is in the wrong business. I'm nobody, but if I couldn't own a 338 Lapua, my rifle would be chambered in 300 Win Mag.</div></div> My thought's exactly Dark Horse

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrewF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just ordered a .260 TRG if that wasn't available I was going .300WM all they way...
Happy shooting with whatever you choose! </div></div>

So TRG22 is available in 260 now??
Where?
TRG rifles are great shooters. And the 300 Win Mag is an accurate round.
Go for it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrewF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just ordered a .260 TRG if that wasn't available I was going .300WM all they way...
Happy shooting with whatever you choose! </div></div>

So TRG22 is available in 260 now??
Where?
TRG rifles are great shooters. And the 300 Win Mag is an accurate round.
Go for it!
</div></div>

euro optics is doing a run of them.

you won't regret the trg 42 they are fine pieces of work and shoot lights out.

i will only be buying factory ammo for the first part. is there any ammo leaps an bounds aboove the rest? or will it just depend on what my gun likes?
also how far out will the 300WM be accurate too? compared to the 308?

Lapua makes a great catridge,

if awailable get some, then you have good cases once you start reloading and you will get a baseline for your rifles capacity,

as always shit in=shit out, good quality ammo for good practice.

How accurate and with what bullet? Disregarding that, the 300 Win mag does at 500 meters what the 308 does at about 300 meters, that sort of sums it up and yet is very loose and slightly missleading.

/Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johndoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">300 win mag in a Trg is a great choice. </div></div>
Your gunshop owner doesn't know what he is talking about.