• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Same scopes &rifles, but one cant zero at 300

Tomekeuro85

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2007
Chicago Suburbs, IL
My friend and I both have Rem 700's in .223

Both have bushnell elite 4200 6-24 scopes on them.

The only difference is that his is a 700p and mine is a VLS.

Mine is able to zero at 300 and still has plenty of room to go.

His scope maxes out and still is 2 feet low at 300.

Same load for both guns.

The only thing I can think of is that this is being caused because my scope is as close to the barrel as it can be without touching (maybe 1/32" away), and his scope is about 1/2" above the barrel. Might this be the problem? Any other ideas?

Re: Same scopes &rifles, but one cant zero at 300

Two things. Check your scopes and see if you have the same amount of total elevation travel in both. I have the Tactical version which has 44MOA of travel versus the advertised 50. Pretty common with the that model so your scopes may not have the same amount of elevation.

Also, your base can definitety cause the difference. I assume you don't have the same bases and his must be a flat base if he's topping out at 300. Is yours flat or an MOA base?

As long as you have solid mounts preventing the scope from impacting the barrel during recoil it shouldn't be a problem.

We both have flat bases... I'll check the overall travel.

I would understand if mine was ALMOST topping out at 300 but I still have a ways to go. He doesnt even come close to a 300yrd zero.

I'll have to investigate further. The height above the barrel was the only thing I could think of that was causing this.

swap scopes and rings, heck even bases.

the outer dimensions of the receivers arent usually somewhere the manufacturers go to great lengths to hold a tight tolerance. one may have been polished during the finishing process significantly more.

the problems ur having are one of the many reasons most here use 20 moa bases, and scopes w more travel. ez fix is the z ringy thingys w the inserts - ive never used them, but plenty of guys swear by them.