• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Savage 12 LRP magazine feed problem

stradibarrius

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2017
I have a Savage 12 LRP 6.5 CM. When I cycle the bolt about half the time it won't pick up the next cartridge. If I cycle it very slowly it will generally work. I bought a Dark Eagle 10rd. magazine and it does the same thing.
Any thoughts ? The gun is very accurate and comfortable to shoot but this feed issue bugs the shit out of me!

The bottom metal needs inletted into the stock deeper or you need a longer mag catch. When you look through the back of the action with the bolt out the action and the primer pocket should make a figure 8 with the primer pocket being the bottom part of the 8 and the action being the top part. If you are not comfortable messing with this, I would send it back to Savage. I had a good experience with their customer service over a different issue.

I have a 10 rd Dark Eagle and if I force it I can get 9 rds in it but #9 and #8 are hard to feed. the other 7 will feed easily but I have to cycle the bolt slowly or it will miss the cartridge altogether.

I have a 12 LRP in 260 Rem that had issues feeding with the factory mag also. Mine would pick up the round most of the time but the follower wouldn't orient the round correctly to feed into the chamber. So it would nose dive slightly and go right into the front wall of the mag. This pretty much happened from the first time I took it to the range.

Not long after, I picked up CDI Precision bottom metal and a Magpul AI mag and haven't had an issue since.

Reactions: stradibarrius
Maybe it's something simple.

When I've had such problems, it's usually been traced to the magazine follower spring being installed backward front to rear, most likely by myself when removing the (Blind Magazine) action from the stock and reassembling it. I should never have removed the spring from the follower.

Once, the spring was defective, but you couldn't tell just by looking at it.

I also tried stretching it, but that wasn't a reasonable solution.

I haven't yet had such a problem with any of my own Savage D/M's (.223 11VT, 7.62x39 10FCM Scout, .30-'06 Axis II, .308 11VT).

Greg

Last edited: