Savage b22 precision(chassis)

Yeah right now it does a good job of cutting half the hollow point off. I'm looking at setting the cnc to machine a new feed ramp. I also took 2 mags apart and reduced the spring tension. Gonna see if they still mark the bullets as bad now.
Interested in seeing the results of the reduced magazine rotating spring tension in relation to bullet scoring as well.

I installed the second tension C-clip and a new extractor from Savage. I had to enlarge the notches on both ends to secure it to the bolt. The extractor seems to have a more acute angle and a sharper tip. I shot a mixed lot of Aguilla, Fiocchi, and CCI for a total of 35 rounds. The Aguila had a few cases that did not clear the mag well, but fully extracted all subsequent cases after shot #4. The remaining firings threw the casing to 1:30 o'clock with authority.

Thanks for the mod suggestion. Now on to more serious shooting for groups...
YMMV, happy shooting

Reactions: mrwug
I like your spreadsheet. I do the same. Do you measure base to ogive for your ammo as well? I'm not suggesting sorting to 0.001" as i dont see that making a difference. More is there a correlation between length and what shoots best?
I dont see a difference at 50 yds but at 200 where I do most testing I seem to have a correlation with length.
Thanks for the liking of the spreadsheet. I do not measure the ogive, mainly because I do not think sorting will allow for this fireman to have it's accuracy increased. From what I shot today and saw, this rifle is having some issues with the ramp. I shot Tenex and it seemed either, I was pulling the trigger inconsistently, aerodynamic jump, the ramp is cutting the wax coating and lead weirdly, and or that the barrel needs to be worn in a little more. This seems extremely interesting still to me. As far as the the length goes, it likes the length of the SK rifle series and Lapua Center X. I am not at my shop right now, I will update this with measurements.

Back to today, I think I have found the limits of this rifle at the .2" range. I think the next option for me is to see if the rifle likes to shoot dirty like my RUGER Mark iii or clean like my HS-Precision.

Yeah right now it does a good job of cutting half the hollow point off. I'm looking at setting the cnc to machine a new feed ramp. I also took 2 mags apart and reduced the spring tension. Gonna see if they still mark the bullets as bad now.
My magazine feeds really nicely since it has been used a bunch. However, I have thought about taking a file to the receiver portion of the ramps. I had some Remington HP that I left at the gun range for free because none of my rifle would feed them. Someone had a fun day with 2000 rounds last fall...

Thanks for the liking of the spreadsheet. I do not measure the ogive, mainly because I do not think sorting will allow for this fireman to have it's accuracy increased. From what I shot today and saw, this rifle is having some issues with the ramp. I shot Tenex and it seemed either, I was pulling the trigger inconsistently, aerodynamic jump, the ramp is cutting the wax coating and lead weirdly, and or that the barrel needs to be worn in a little more. This seems extremely interesting still to me. As far as the the length goes, it likes the length of the SK rifle series and Lapua Center X. I am not at my shop right now, I will update this with measurements.

Back to today, I think I have found the limits of this rifle at the .2" range. I think the next option for me is to see if the rifle likes to shoot dirty like my RUGER Mark iii or clean like my HS-Precision.
I dont see sorting length as a way to increase accuracy. I actually am not sold on sorting for any reason. As you can see consistent measurements had nothing to do with accuracy at distance. This is some data from 211 yds.
Screenshot_20210131-121220_Excel.jpg

Reactions: Echo.shooter
Hi all - I've been watching this thread for a few months now, and just wanted to give some perspective and comments. First, I want to commend the dedication of those who make those 'sheets. Lots of patience there. I've read mixed opinions on "sorting" but since I've only fired a few hundred rounds of 13 brands I don't have a 'solid' opinion myself. And I just have a
B-22 FV, nothing fancy. I saw Mr. Wolf's posts about scratched rounds and just got thru checking my rifle. Sure enuf, there were scratches so I used some 1000g paper to 'break' the edge of the bolt thingy. Just a tiny bit at a time until I can't see the scratch on most rounds, just a few - and looking at some bullets I slugged last Summer, the rifling caused deeper scratches than my bolt. I guess I've 'fixed' that issue - Thanks to the Wolf (man) ;-)
I've been using Boretech C4 for the chamber, w-a nylon brush - one doesn't want to 'wear' the chamber too much, they're not that tight to start with. I found the C4 does better than Hoppes or Outers for the chamber, just soaking for a bit b4 brushing.
As for Hollow points, I've used Fed Black pak 36gHP, CCI-MM 36g HP, and Herter's 36g HP. No probs with any 'hanging' on the ramp, just the Herters is c--- ;-( And I want to warn about a file on that ramp, maybe you could try some really fine paper to 'polish' it? You can't put it back . . . I hurt my Sav-64 doin' that.
I don't shoot over 100 yds (yet), just getting the 100 'comfy'. At 50 yds I get about 3/4" if I'm careful, using CCI-SV, Fed Champion 40g SV (old stock-NOT 'new' HV), SK Std+ or Eley Sport. I've got the trigger adj screw as tight as possible, s/b ca. 2# ? Using a Bushnell Engage Deploy MOA 6-18x50, but I just got a better scope this week. Covenant FFP 6-24x50 MOA. Hope to get out when the current snow storm (02-07-21) blows past. I've got some 'new' rounds to try - AE sub, SK FlatNose and SK Magazine.
Anyway, I just wanted to add to this thread, I've learned so much from others I wanted to contribute a bit.
Ed

My magazine feeds really nicely since it has been used a bunch. However, I have thought about taking a file to the receiver portion of the ramps. I had some Remington HP that I left at the gun range for free because none of my rifle would feed them. Someone had a fun day with 2000 rounds last fall...
I had a box of winchester 333 HP that did a little something like that. Also the tipton snap caps I got won't feed whatsoever.

I'm going to find a way to make this thing super smooth. I just got home from a little indoor 50ft match and I was more than happy with it.

@Fasteddie01 that's a good point about the feed ramps. On the B22 Precision it's a plastic molded piece held on by a bevel c-clip and it's kind of crude. I'm looking at making something entirely new out of aluminum or maybe take that piece and and some bedding compound to it so that I can shape it better.

I might try doing something like that on a mag first. Make one that specifically works with square nose or hollow points.

Hi all - I've been watching this thread for a few months now, and just wanted to give some perspective and comments. First, I want to commend the dedication of those who make those 'sheets. Lots of patience there. I've read mixed opinions on "sorting" but since I've only fired a few hundred rounds of 13 brands I don't have a 'solid' opinion myself. And I just have a
B-22 FV, nothing fancy. I saw Mr. Wolf's posts about scratched rounds and just got thru checking my rifle. Sure enuf, there were scratches so I used some 1000g paper to 'break' the edge of the bolt thingy. Just a tiny bit at a time until I can't see the scratch on most rounds, just a few - and looking at some bullets I slugged last Summer, the rifling caused deeper scratches than my bolt. I guess I've 'fixed' that issue - Thanks to the Wolf (man) ;-)
I've been using Boretech C4 for the chamber, w-a nylon brush - one doesn't want to 'wear' the chamber too much, they're not that tight to start with. I found the C4 does better than Hoppes or Outers for the chamber, just soaking for a bit b4 brushing.
As for Hollow points, I've used Fed Black pak 36gHP, CCI-MM 36g HP, and Herter's 36g HP. No probs with any 'hanging' on the ramp, just the Herters is c--- ;-( And I want to warn about a file on that ramp, maybe you could try some really fine paper to 'polish' it? You can't put it back . . . I hurt my Sav-64 doin' that.
I don't shoot over 100 yds (yet), just getting the 100 'comfy'. At 50 yds I get about 3/4" if I'm careful, using CCI-SV, Fed Champion 40g SV (old stock-NOT 'new' HV), SK Std+ or Eley Sport. I've got the trigger adj screw as tight as possible, s/b ca. 2# ? Using a Bushnell Engage Deploy MOA 6-18x50, but I just got a better scope this week. Covenant FFP 6-24x50 MOA. Hope to get out when the current snow storm (02-07-21) blows past. I've got some 'new' rounds to try - AE sub, SK FlatNose and SK Magazine.
Anyway, I just wanted to add to this thread, I've learned so much from others I wanted to contribute a bit.
Ed
I haven't admittedly spent enough time looking at the specs behind the chambers. The rep who I have been dealing with has shown herself to be extremely lucrative. However, I know it isn't cut to anything special. Which makes me confused when you say " the rifling caused deeper scratches than my bolt." Is the bullets that your using touching the rifling? From what I have read, learned, and watched that is not a good thing due to a plethora of issues. My issue with my rifle making grooves is the bottom 280 degrees to 340 degrees having a burr cutting the lead. When I get to the shop I will pull some measurements for the inside of my chamber.

Update
Well, well, well, guess who is going to call Savage with an issue! Me, the end portion of the bolt (end cap) will for the life of me not stay tight. It is firing and cycling fine, but damn this is annoying. I am not sure if me dry firing 100-200 times a day is the problem or if I am being too rough with the action. However if my bolt comes apart in the middle of a shoot, the Christensen will have a new target... Any one else having this issue?

Update
Well, well, well, guess who is going to call Savage with an issue! Me, the end portion of the bolt (end cap) will for the life of me not stay tight. It is firing and cycling fine, but damn this is annoying. I am not sure if me dry firing 100-200 times a day is the problem or if I am being too rough with the action. However if my bolt comes apart in the middle of a shoot, the Christensen will have a new target... Any one else having this issue?
Between my issues and the ones I've read about here, I'm thinking it might be time to start saving up for another Tikka. :(

Hey Just avg - No, the bullet doesn't 'touch' the rifling b4 firing. I slugged the barrel to find the 'Real' bullet size in lands and grooves. The rifling makes deeper 'scratches' than the bolt makes, so the 'drag marks from the bolt should not effect accuracy. If they were beyond the driving bands, on the rounded face of the bullet they could have an effect.
When fired, the bullet is smushed against the rifling and those scratches are probably pressed into the rifling. JMHO, I think you all are worrying about a non-issue, but I went ahead and 'broke' the sharp edges anyway, using 1000g paper.
As for the bolt not staying tight, If your bolt is the same as the standard B22 I'd look at Jim Baker's Y-tube vid on assembly/dis-a of the B22 bolt. Savage B17 & B22 Bolt Disassembly & Reassembly - YouTube Baker is the 'Owner' of the Savage Shooter dot com website, and a fantastic source of info on Savage guns. Located somewhere in Ohio.
And I agree about the glass. I just bought a Covenant-4 FFP-SF 6-24X50 to replace the Bushnell Engage Deploy MOA SFP-SF 6-18X50. Just a little better, but I wanted more mag and still stay under $500 CDN.

Between my issues and the ones I've read about here, I'm thinking it might be time to start saving up for another Tikka. :(
For me the price was right for the features. Understanding they had to make that price up somewhere and it's in the fit and finish. I don't mind doing a little polishing and fixing the feeding issue if it got me in the game.

To me it looked like a CZ457 or T1X and then a chassis was going to be double what the savage was with the Bergara being even more yet.

I took it out on Saturday to a local indoor match at 50ft and shot real well. Not high grade ammo and not long range, but benched and offhand both and I did better than most and had fun. It feeds round nose federal automatch pretty well with good extraction.

For me the price was right for the features. Understanding they had to make that price up somewhere and it's in the fit and finish. I don't mind doing a little polishing and fixing the feeding issue if it got me in the game.

To me it looked like a CZ457 or T1X and then a chassis was going to be double what the savage was with the Bergara being even more yet.

I took it out on Saturday to a local indoor match at 50ft and shot real well. Not high grade ammo and not long range, but benched and offhand both and I did better than most and had fun. It feeds round nose federal automatch pretty well with good extraction.
Fair enough. While I was willing to undergo some initial teething issues, a gun that doesn't work reliably doesn't hold a lot of value for me, even if it came with a chassis that accounts for 80% of the price paid. I'd probably feel better about the purchase if it wasn't taking so long to get the feeding issue resolved. I bought the thing two months ago and just got a ship notification for repair parts a few minutes ago.

Even so, it doesn't shoot as well as the Tikka, which cost pretty much the same as my B22 even after buying a DIP Pic rail. In that light, I traded the Tikka's superior accuracy and reliability for a chassis. Maybe I'll feel better about things after I put enough rounds through the Savage to break it in but I'm feeling kinda chapped at the moment.

I feel bad for some of the guys who aren't getting ahold of Savage in a timely manner. I just got off the phone with them after a 45 second wait. They told me to put Loctite on the end cap of the bolt assembly. For background knowledge, I am dry firing this thing for a solid 30 minutes straight daily. I watch YouTube videos and shoot along with them at the targets they show on screen. (since COVID-19 is making ammo up North scarce.) Savage found it odd that it keeps on backing out. We will see if this fixes the issues, otherwise they will be bringing it in to the Savage shop.

I am not sure if this rifles threads for some reason are the wrong class or the die they were using on the lathe was out of spec. None of my other rifles have this issue. I just hope if they do fix this that my rifle doesn't lose its accuracy.

Fair enough. While I was willing to undergo some initial teething issues, a gun that doesn't work reliably doesn't hold a lot of value for me, even if it came with a chassis that accounts for 80% of the price paid. I'd probably feel better about the purchase if it wasn't taking so long to get the feeding issue resolved. I bought the thing two months ago and just got a ship notification for repair parts a few minutes ago.

Even so, it doesn't shoot as well as the Tikka, which cost pretty much the same as my B22 even after buying a DIP Pic rail. In that light, I traded the Tikka's superior accuracy and reliability for a chassis. Maybe I'll feel better about things after I put enough rounds through the Savage to break it in but I'm feeling kinda chapped at the moment.
I like this rifle a lot and other than my one minor issue. I still like if far better than the tikkas that I have seen. In my collection my Rem 513 T Matchmaster is the top dog (until my vudoo arrives) for accuracy and reliability. I will say this savage walks all over the Ruger Precision rimfires that I own in 22lr and 22wmg .

Update*

I put Loctite on the bolt assembly screw. There has not been an issue since, Savage directed me to make this change. I have dry fired this gun 700-1000 times since this issue has happened. I will shoot tomorrow and Monday to see if that has any affect on this.

Reactions: chutinlead

Update: I got my parts yesterday and installed them. I put 60 rounds through it today and had one failure to extract. Might be a dirty chamber. The bigger surprise was ejection. It's kicking the rounds out much farther now, and more diagonally forward.

It's a much different shooting experience now that I'm not digging stuck cartridges out of the chamber. I'm finally able to actually to focus on shooting as opposed to pulling expended ammo out of my gun.

We'll see if I need to add the original extractor spring to get it to 99+%.

Update: I got my parts yesterday and installed them. I put 60 rounds through it today and had one failure to extract. Might be a dirty chamber. The bigger surprise was ejection. It's kicking the rounds out much farther now, and more diagonally forward.

It's a much different shooting experience now that I'm not digging stuck cartridges out of the chamber. I'm finally able to actually to focus on shooting as opposed to pulling expended ammo out of my gun.

We'll see if I need to add the original extractor spring to get it to 99+%.
If the weather cooperates this weekend, I'll test out the newly more reliable Savage B22 Precision. Much to learn about shoulder tension and all but the smooth bolt, top-notch ergos, and the fantastic trigger keeps me coming back to try to get the best out of this rifle.

Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket barrel?
YMMV, happy shooting

If the weather cooperates this weekend, I'll test out the newly more reliable Savage B22 Precision. Much to learn about shoulder tension and all but the smooth bolt, top-notch ergos, and the fantastic trigger keeps me coming back to try to get the best out of this rifle.

Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket barrel?
YMMV, happy shooting
Have a machinist threads you on one?

Range Update 3/13/2021

Installed second spring clip over the top of original, installed new extractor claw. Both sent to me free of charge from Savage. The underside of the bolt smoothed with jewel’s polish + Dremel.

Beautiful day at the range. Shot a new batch of SK Std+ and Eley Practice 100 @ 50 yards.
75F, 83%, 3-7 MPH winds at 1:30.

First up SK Std+ : 6x5 avg = .590” (1.126 MOA) Best = .405”
Feeding was reliable and smooth. Groups could be better.
AE261293-5AA4-4A3F-8A46-2851F6421C64.jpeg

Next up: Eley Precision 100. 50 yard 6x5 avg = .518” (.989 MOA), Best = .349”
New ammo, shot surprisingly well. Group 3 and 6 I had 1st round feeding issue and the bullet nose was slightly deformed. Faster, more forceful push allowed for easier 1st round feeding.
A6ADFA0A-B11A-4445-8E51-CF0BCDBE67EB.jpeg

Lastly, my best group 50 yard groups that was submitted for the 6x5 thread. 6x5 avg = .394” , Best = .245“
B757882A-23D6-4249-BE29-A9B0A997A090.jpeg

This rifle is a shooter, it just took me some time to find the right ammo and configuration combo.
The limbsaver and suppressor seem to help settle the barrel down. Also, it likes to be cleaned every 150-200 rounds to prevent the dreaded 1st round flyer.

More testing at 100 yards in the future and stress testing at NRL22 matches.

YMMV, happy shooting

Reactions: Echo.shooter
Little update,
I haven't shot the rifle in a little while. I have been occupied with two other custom builds and awaiting the Vudoo to come in (May). I shot that B22 today with almost no wind, out to 500 yards. At 400 yards the blazer ammo (saving the good stuff for the Vudoo) actually wasn't horrible. At 500 yards this is where I think the feeding issue comes into play, the way that rifle feeds ammunition into the barrel marks it, a lot!. I think if they redesigned the feed ramp that they would be fine. I left with it zeroed at 225 yards. The target was a railroad tie about 6"x8". I ran out of scope adjustment at 400, and used the reticle for the rest. I left the Armis MFG muzzle break on the rifle for this, I added a 6061 aluminum rail on the bottom for weight and the MDT stock is a little on the thin, light, and less durable side. After tossing this gun in and out of barricades it has taken a beating on the finish. If you want to keep it looking clean, avoid anything that isn't a bench. I will update this when I finish the build, next week I am going to run a PRS event with it.

Turns out, my B22 is quite a bit more picky about ammo than my T1X. Lack of accuracy with Aquila and Tippmann SV ammo was maddening. When I started using CCI SV, that changed completely. Groups have gotten much smaller, making it much more enjoyable and productive (from a training standpoint) to shoot. I now feel like my POI is reasonably indicative of my POA where before I felt like every hit was a crapshoot.

Update
Are you using any kind of snap cap to dry fire? Checked manual - said not to. Tried a snapcap that ruined the extractor, firing pin, and chamber; thankfully repaired in a timely manner by Savage. Would like to improve when not at the range.

Sorry for replying to a couple months old post, but I found this thread when I was having a similar issue with my B22 Precision and hope that the solution I found proves to be helpful.
I also had the issue where the rifle would come close to chopping hollow points in half while feeding. I determined that this might be caused by the feed ramp sitting too low in the mag well. After removing the chassis I found a washer under the bolt that the forward action screw screws into & that the feed ramp attaches to. I filed down this washer in order to reduce its width, and therefore increase how high that the feed ramp sits in the mag well. After this slight modification the action feeds hollow points reliably.

Reactions: Mr. Wolf
The washer that holds the feed ramp/mag catch is only designed to go on one way I found out. If its put on the wrong way, it doesn't hold the feed ramp up tight.
The reduced spring tension did help with with the scoring, but after using the mags awhile, the spring did loosen up a bit. Will probably have to tighten them up a half a turn.

I have shot both the norma tac-22 and federal automatch which good success out to 200yd. Haven't had the chance this summer to get out and push it further. I did switch from a PST 3-15 to the Athlon Helos 4-20 and have really liked it. The parallax goes close enough to shoot indoors at 50ft in the winter and it has a higher end magnification for targets way out there. Paired with a set of Burris Signature rings, I have over 80MOA of elevation available.

Greetings,

I’ve been a long time member and lurker. I don’t post often and most of my posts have been questions related to rifle set up, equipment, or “dibs” on the SH PX. I am an average shooter with experience mostly with AR platforms and handguns but new to the 22 LR Precision world.

My search of the SH, YouTube, and WWW did not show many reviews of the Savage B22 Precision. Below is my 5+ months experience with the rifle. The purpose of the build was to compete in the NRL 22 base category and to have a trainer for my Savage 308 in a MDT LSS XL gen2 chassis. The scope has changed many times but most of the testing was done with the Arken SH4.

I purchased all of the items myself, with zero factory discounts. I have no financial or business disclosures to make with any of the companies.

Set up:
Savage B22 Precision with factory MDT chassis ($599 MSRP)
Arken SH4 4-14x 50 ($399 MSRP)
Vortex 30mm rings, low
EGW 20 MOA base
MDT stock spacer
Harris bipod

Ammo tested:
CCI SV
Federal Gold Medal Match SV
Fiocchi SV
SK Flatnose Match
Aguilla Rifle Match SV
Lapua Biathlon

The B22 Precision Rifle is solidly built with a very comfortable and adjustable stock. The length of pull was a bit short, so I ordered spacers from MDT and the fit now mirrors my center fire rifle. The finish is matte black in what appears to be a nitrided finish that has been durable and pleasing to the eye. One issue with the adjustable plastic knobs for the cheek riser: not much force is need to lock down the riser, if you gorilla it, the knob‘s internal plastic gearing will strip off and expose the brass Allen head that is designed for more permanent cheek height setting. A small dab of Gorilla glue (pun intended) and gentle but firm tightening fixed the issues.

The bolt is smooth and does not bind when pushed forward on a slightly off axis. Bolt closure is tight with zero wiggle after closure. There is no appreciable bolt lift when cycling the action. The 2 position tange mounted safety is easy to operate and ergonomic. IMHO, the bolt is smoother and is easier to cycle faster than the CZ 457 Pro Varmint. The bolt knob is of the “tactical” variety and I think that it is permanently attached to the bolt handle. It is very ergonomic and compliments the lines and purpose of the rifle well. When re-installing the bolt, a marking on the back half of the bolt and the extractor must line up PERFECTLY. It took a few tries to get it right, and it may frustrate some newer shooter, especially young-ones starting out.

The magazines are 10 round rotary type with the release lever incorporated at the front of the magazine body. This makes unloading a breeze, but durability may be a issue after many elastic cycles of the plastic latch and drops onto concrete surfaces. Luckily, the magazines are cheap and abundant and is the same magazine in the Savage A22 and other B22 line.

I think that a 20 - 30 MOA scope base, similar to the one found on the Ruger RPRR, would be very beneficial to the intended customer for this type of rifle, but the EGW 20 MOA scope base was easy to source. True to Savage reputation, the scope base screws were loose when I removed them to install the 20 MOA base. While installing the new base, I noticed that the 2nd screw (screw 1 being the screw closest to the muzzle) was tighter and grittier and was harder to fully seat. It threaded easily for the first 1/2 and was not cross threaded. My guess is that there may be some metal shavings or uneven surfaces at the base of the hole. However, it did not bind or interfere with the bolt action.

Range time:
I fired over 2000 rounds of various ammo. My usual procedure was to run a boresnake through the rifle 2 times between different ammo testing. My apologies in advance for the relatively poor selection of mid to low grade ammo but this is what I could find during the current ammo shortage. I shot 20 rounds to foul the barrel, then 2 groups of 5 at 25 yards, 2 groups of 5 at 50 yards and finally 2 groups of 5 at 100 yards.

Please excuse my average shooting skills. Attached are a few hand picked representative groups. The best ammo in my testing was the CCI SV with 1/4”-3/8” at 25 yards, 1/2”-5/8”at 50 yards, and 1 1/2” -1 3/4”at 100 yards. Rim thickness sorting seemed to help with the CCI by reducing the flyers. When I loaded 3 magazines with different rim thicknesses and the RSO handed me the magazines in random fashion, the best group with the smallest rim thickness measured 0.09” for a 5 shot group at 25 yards.

Shots out to 50 yards were average at best, again CCI SV shooting the best in my limited sample lot. Overall, the group would be ˜3/8”+ 1 flyer that resulted in ”meh” groups of 1/2”- 5/8” at 50 yards.

When stretched to 100 yards, the accuracy just was not there. CCI SV, SK Flatnose Match, and Lapua Biathlon fared best at around 1 1/2” with occasional 2+” groups. I assessed that this would not be competitive in NRL 22 matches, especially if there are bonus stages with extended ranges past 150 yards. I was uncertain if this was the limitations of my skills, ammo, or if there was something else going on.

Searching YouTube, I saw a review by Affordable Optics and Rifle that showed some scoring/scratches on the drive bands of the 22 LR bullet when cycling the bolt from the B22 rotary magazine. Basically, the bottom protrusion of the bolt (6 o clock) that feeds the cartridge into the chamber scores/scratches the ”on deck” cartridge. The first round is not affected but all subsequent ones are deformed. Additionally, the lead and wax scrapings formed a wadded ball that lands at the 6 o clock position of the chamber. When the ball gets large enough and gets pushed into the chamber during bolt cycling, extraction failures occurred.

I called Savage Customer Service and they said that they would take a look. I shipped the rifle back on my own dime and they had it for 3 1/2 months to address the issue. At first, they said that the chamber was too tight, but I informed them that I thought that it was the lead/wax scraping that gummed up the chamber after ˜30 or so rounds. A few weeks later, they said that the magazine seating was out of spec and that they would adjust it. Furthermore, they were replacing the barrel. The barrel replacement took 2.5 months because the barrels are supplied from Canada. When they test fired the rifle, I guess it didn’t meet their precision requirements so when I called them back at the 3 month mark, they informed me that they were shipping out a brand new rifle. Well, the new rifle came and it still produces the same scratches. In the close up photo, the left 5 are cartridges cycled on a CZ 457 Pro Varmint with barely a smudge if you look very closely and the right 5 are the ones cycled on the Savage B22 Precision.

Conclusion:
The Savage B22 Precision is a very ergonomic, smooth running, and fun 22 LR at < 50 yards. If shooting 50 yards and in, it will be a great trainer for kids as it can be easily adjusted for size. Additionally, it is very solid and quiet with almost zero recoil. For longer ranges, further testing is needed with better quality ammo, but I suspect that the significant damage to the driving bands of the 22 LR bullet will have detrimental effects on accuracy and precision as distance increases. In the near future, I will get better ammo, continue testing, and post updates.

Epilogue:
I purchased a CZ 457 Pro Varmint 16.5” end of August 2020. Even though the Boyd’s stock isn’t anything like the MDT chassis that is on my 308, the accuracy of the CZ (as shown in the included 5 shot group proof), fully adjustable trigger, and upgrade pathway for customization were a better fit for my purposes. Plus, the $588 MSRP will give me wiggle room for the Athlon Argos gen2 6-24x 50 when competing in NRL 22 base.

I asked the CFO of the house if I should keep or sell the new in box Savage B22 Precision and she said if I want to use it to teach the kids and if we can go shooting together, we should hold on to it. Yeah, the wife’s a keeper.

YMMV, happy shooting.
Great review 👍🏻

Reactions: Mr. Wolf
Late to the party here but I'll throw in. I picked up a used b22 Precision earlier this year. Despite having "better" .22 rifles, I like this gun allot. the stock fit is right, trigger is nice, weight not overbearing and the bolt is VERY smooth. It shoots moa (with ammo it likes) which is pretty good for a $500 investment IMHO. Mine has no had any of the bullet scoring issues ( running two mags) but did develop an annoying habit of failure to extract shortly after I purchased it. Extraction issues were most notable with CCI Standard which is a shame because it would shoot that brand into tiny groups at 50 yds when i did my part.. Savage was good about sending me a free ejector, extractor and spring even though I purchased the gun used. Swapping out those parts seemed to cure extraction issues with all brands but (occasionally) CCI standard. ( I haven't measured the CCI but am told they often have thicker rims.) Anyway, I've been feeding it Wolf Match target and consider it cured. I keep thinking I should sell it to make room for my growing Bergara and CZ collection but it really is a nice rifle.
20210930_120303.jpg

Reactions: chutinlead