• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Savage F/TR Help

Re: Savage F/TR Help

there is a guy thats here that shoots F class and uses savage exclusively. man i cannot recall his name... but he would know what to tell you. i know EGW - evolution gun works makes a base for that. ferrel does too i believe. bipods, well Harris is the standard or was until atlas came out. but there is a big cost difference, and there are more bipods out there too. you can always upgrade if you feel the need. cheek rest can be a stock pad or a karsten. base you will have to get the one for that action. i believe its bigger around than the model 10 that i have. rings? thats your choice. from $60 to $200. you have to decide. there are guys here with a EGW and burris XTR rings and thats under $100 and they shoot fine with them. a guy just posted a weaver base that was nice. US Optics are nice too. badger, ferrel, there are a bunch

darrel buell. look him up using the users list towards the top. he hasnt been around lately.

I suggest you weigh your rifle and scope, then keep that in mind as you select your accessories. The Sinclair bipod is the way to go in our game (it blows away a Harris - IMHO). If you can't do the 2lb 4oz Sinclair, you may want to check out the 19oz CenterShot carbon fiber bipod, but be prepared to fork over some cash, it costs about 1/2 what your rifle did. Bases & rings can be found about anywhere. I think Ken Farrel makes a base specifically for the LRPV action that looks very nice.

Our next match at Butner is December 4th, if you can make it look up the Club Secretary. He's a Savage shooter, and is one of the leading tr shooters there every match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AquaMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been looking at several bipods but will probably get the Harris. What height Harris bipod should I get?

Thanks </div></div>
Unless your shooting in hilly terrain, the 6-9" will do. I like the 6-9" notched leg, swivel models.

I replaced the Harris bipod on my F/TR with a Sinclair bipod. They are a world apart in function. The Harris tended to hop a little, the Sinclair tracks straight back. I'll always have the Harris for the field.
I'm also very happy with EGW for rings and 20 MOA base. I put on a NF 5.5x20 50mm Mil/Mil/Zstop. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't have gone for more power, oh well.
I struggled with the factory cheek rest 'lump' for a while. It was replaced with a Karsten A model. Much better.

I hope you have as much fun with yours as I do with mine. They are terrific shooters.

B

The Atlas sure looks nice Bill. I have been looking at the GG&G Bipod and wanted to know if anybody has used one. Does there mount fit on the rail of the Savage 12 F/TR rifle? I called GG&G today and they were not sure.The bipod adaptor that came with the rifle is for a Harris bipod. Anyone have the GG&G bipod on a Savage 12 F/TR?