• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Savage fcp-10 needs a new barrel

ak0prter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2010
TX
Hey guys, I've got a Savage fcp-10 in .308 that is finally wore out. I've been waiting for this day for years. I already reload so ammo isn't an issue. This rifles main purpose will be getting me started in PRS.

1st- Should I go with 6x47 or 6.5CM? I'
Leaning towards 6.5CM since I already have several hundred .308 brass.

2nd- I'd like to get a drop in or close to it as I plan on installing myself. I have access to a machine shop and can muzzle thread myself. But prefer not to do chamber threads. Unless I can get a better barrel at the same price and thread both ends.

Any suggestions? Did I miss a major consideration? Thanks for any help fellas

can’t go wrong with either caliber choices you are considering but I’d probably go with 6.5 creedmoor. As far as barrels there are a lot of options for Savage, I have an x-caliber barrel that’s great and I know criterian barrels have a good reputation.

Reactions: ak0prter
Both are good calibers without a lot of difference ballistically. However, the 6.5 Creedmore will provide more factory choices for ammo that is less expensive. I had the same situation several years ago and I spun on a new Bartlein 26" MTU and put it in a Manners MCS T4. It still shoots like a laser. Haven't shot it past 1400, but its been great to that distance.

My worn out barrel was a .308 that was cut down to 18". So getting to 1k was kinda a pain in the ass if the wind picked up any. I'll be shooting hand loads almost exclusively after its broke in.

I think I'll get the 6.5CM, and mix things up some. I'm trying to get to a mile. The 6.5CM can do that way easier than the .308 from what I can tell. Thanks guys!

This rifle will be more PRS based in design. But I do want to build another that's for extended long range. But haven't picked a caliber yet. 7mm is in the running, but so is .300 norma. Decisions decisions...