• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Savage Mark II TR Range Trip

PKRobbins

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2010
Southern MO
Picked up a Savage Mark II TR added an EGW 20 MOA rail and Nikon 4-16x40 in a set of millet rings. Here ya go
IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

Shooting Lapua Master L and Wolf Match (I shot some Remmy Target but it was worse than shooting Super-X or CCI mini mag), not for any reason but that is what was available locally. 50 yards light wind from 10 o'clock, prone off of bipod and rear bag.

Lapua
IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg

Wolf
IMG_1639.jpg

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

I could never get comfortable behind the rifle, I need a lower set of rings. If that was fixed I think consistency would improve. Any suggestions on rings? I can get by with something as low as Weaver hinge overs, but I hate the things. I can never get the cross hair plumb.

Re: Savage Mark II TR Range Trip

I threw the Weaver 1" Tactical 4-hole Skeleton Picatinny-Style Rings 'mediums' on mine -- which are actually 'lows' @ .280".
Compare to the height of TPS 'lows' -- .285". I passed on the TPS because if you study the design of the rings there is a weak point where the rail clamp mates with the ring base. For a rimfire rifle its a non-issue, but the Weaver rings were also $40 less...

btw, nice paint job on that stock. Did you get it painted or bought the rifle like that?

Nice looking gun. And good choice with a Savage, they shoot nice for what you pay.

I had a CZ 452 American .22LR that I put in the Boyds Tacticool stock and I could never get comfortable behind it (just like you mentioned); until, I added a Karsten cheek rest. The adjustable cheek rest really helped me get more comfortable behind the gun and it did help my accuracy quite a bit.

For getting your reticle set plumb, the easiest way I've experienced yet (although not perfect) is to use a flat piece of metal as a kind of feeler gauge to match the scope base to the flat under the scope turrets. I'll have to add more later as I have to go for now...

Sweet rifle. Who did the paint?

I also agree with the Karsten cheek rest idea. Your rings are already pretty low, but I don't think that they are the main cause of the scopes height. The EGW 20moa base is also helping to raise the profile of the scope too. To keep the scope where it is, you'll want to add a cheek rest bringing your eye to the scope. Sometimes it's better to elevate your eye to the scope than it is to bring the scope to your eye.

Nice paint job, I like the clean uncluttered look. For rings, I've had success on the TR and BTV rifles with Burris XTR lows and Weaver Tactical lows. So far, no need for a Karsten... ymmv.

BTW, what part of Southern MO? We might be practically neighbors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 725franky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.... I'll have to add more later as I have to go for now... </div></div>

Ok, here is the video that shows the technique I was trying to describe.

If you scroll half way down this page: feeler gauge method you will see the real feeler gauge method.

This is another method that sounds like it would work real well. It'd just be a little bit more time consuming.

Another option for leveling your scope. Take the scope off and put a bubble level on your scope bases (which theoretically <span style="font-style: italic">should</span> be square in relation to the action). Level the rifle and lock it down so it wont move. Hang a plumb-bob (or any convenient piece of twine with a weight) off something in the distance and then mount your scope, ensuring the reticle is parallel to your plumb-bob. Voila...

Great looking gun and good job on the paint! I agree that I'd want the scope a little lower, or you can try the cheekpiece like suggested. Looks like it will be a shooter once you get comfortable with it

I have the cross hairs plumb in this rifle, my complaint is with the old style weaver hinge over rings. You can have everything perfect but when you tighten down the screws it will always twist the scope a bit. I like the fact that they get the scope right down on the barrel and seem very solid once finished just too much hassle to use. I took me 5 attempts on my 25WSSM each time adjusting the cant to my cross hairs before I tightened up.

I did get a lot of good info and some different ideas on leveling the next on though thanks.

I've had the easiest leveling with Weaver Grand Slam steel, and Burris Zee steel rings(not the signature). I prefer the Burris, but they're hard to find.