• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

SBR overall length measurement

TNhuntsman

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2019
I'm in the process of doing a form 1 sbr and have a question about determining the overall length. Everything I've read says get an estimate of length from the barrel, receiver and stock.
Well, I plan on stuffing a suppressor inside the handguard, this means that the handguard will be several inches longer than the barrel. When determining OAL would it still be from the end of the barrel with no muzzle device or is it from the end of the handguard?

Well, this is what I found in that .pdf.
"The overall length of a weapon made from a
shotgun or rifle is the distance between the extreme ends of the weapon measured along a line parallel to
the center line of the bore."

So kinda of confusing, if it's states "extreme ends" not muzzle which might include handguards and it states "made from a shotgun or rifle" whereas I'm making a pistol an sbr so maybe overall of 26" or less doesn't apply just that the barrel is less than 16".

Is there a sbr maximum length or does only the barrel length matter for the form 1 and overall length is just for description purposes.

You're thinking too much.

Tape measure from tip of barrel to back of stock at its shortest setting. Don't worry about the handguard.

If you had a permanently attached suppressor, you'd measure from the end of that because that would be included in your barrel length, because it's permanently affixed.

If you had a rifle with OAL of greater than 26" and barrel less than 16, I think that falls under AOW (Any Other Weapon). But whatever. Don't think so much.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMGtuned
Also; if a folding stock is used, the measurement need to be taken from crown or pinned MD, to the rear of the weapon WITH THE STOCK FOLDED. This is because the weapon can, in fact, fire a round when folded.

Have several suppressors already and don't want to dedicate one them to a particular firearm.
Just wondering about overall length as the sbr would have a 12" barrel and magpul sl-k stock which I think would make it around 28" collapsed from the muzzle or 31" from front of the handguard.
Not sure there's a limit on overall length, just the 12" barrel that would make it an sbr. The form 1 asks for overall length and want to get the measurement right, unless it doesn't matter just estimated muzzle to buttstock.

Have several suppressors already and don't want to dedicate one them to a particular firearm.
Just wondering about overall length as the sbr would have a 12" barrel and magpul sl-k stock which I think would make it around 28" collapsed from the muzzle or 31" from front of the handguard.
Not sure there's a limit on overall length, just the 12" barrel that would make it an sbr. The form 1 asks for overall length and want to get the measurement right, unless it doesn't matter just estimated muzzle to buttstock.
Muzzle crown to collaped stock heal. Handguard does not shoot bullets