• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

SCAR 16s and 17s?

SCAR 17 is the best semi auto .308 out there. PERIOD
SCAR 16 does not offer enough to surpass the M4. Neat gun, but expensive and bulky.

Last edited:
I have read several mixed reviews on the Scar 17. I wanted one pretty bad when i was shopping for another semi .308 . I held it at the gun store it felt awkward and all the plastic made it feel cheap i just don't see it as a 2800 dollar rifle. I looked at KAC's , POF, GAP 10 and LMT MWS and the OBR after months of research and finding as many to see in person as i could i ended up going with the LMT MWS 16 chrome line . I got it for 2299.00 at Kentucky Gun Company on sale. that was about half of the KAC price a few hundred less the the POF and 4 to 5 hundred less then the Gap 10 . I also liked the fact that i could buy extra barrels in different .cal's on the LMT and it felt solid i really enjoy it . I am not knocking any of the other rifles i looked at they all have their own pro's and cons if i was a Rich Man i would own at least one of each. IF i were to be able to get another off that list it would be the Gap 10 then the KAC then the Scar or POF at that point The after market is getting a little better slowly on the Scare if you want now x products is putting out a lower that can use their 50 round drum so that's a plus. I have one of their drums for my LMT MWS , M1A ebr set up and my AR 15 they are all top notch . If you only have enough for 1 of these find rifles i would do my very best to rent the Scar first at a gun store with a range if able and just see how you like the feel of shooting it.

Lazlo,

After handling the SCAR17 and figuring it was nice to have , and I would own one one day, I decided to wait a while to pick one up.
After seeing that Repr/SCAR test and really reading more about it, I had to have one. Should be to my dealer tommrow.
As far as .308 Semis go, I find it hard to choose anything else. .260/6.5/6mm gas guns are another story, but for .308, it just seems like the whole package.