• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Schmidt Bender Test Drive

SKS Guy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2010
Luray, Va.
I am going to get to test drive a S&B 5-25x56 in the up coming weeks. I am most excited about the side by side comparison to my NXS 5.5-22x56. The S&B I'm trying is a mil/mil and I plan to get the new moa/moa if I like it. Mostly I want to compare clarity, low light, and the adjustments. For those of you that have used both tell me how much I'm going to love the Schmidt Bender...lol

Re: Schmidt Bender Test Drive

I have them both and to tell the truth, if you do not need a FFP optic the Nightforce is just to good of value for the money.
I like them both but for some reason I just hang with the Nightforce.

The glass is better on S&B no doubt so it just depends on what your needs and wants are.

I looked through a S&B once, I prolly shouldn't have.. I have a NF 5.5x22 so.... The moral of the story is.. IMO, if you don't wanna pay 3k for a scope, DON'T look through it.. It's that good.

Well I only got to compare some close range stuff today. So far I'm not blown away. Lowlight the scopes were very simlar. The SB will focus down to 10 meters and the NF won't even come close. Friday I will take both to the range for a true test.

I spent a lot of time behind the SB. I did a lot of side by side stuff. I guess I got some really good NF glass cause I can barely tell a difference. Anyone who has a NF don't feel like you are lacking a lot in glass cause the differences are slight, and I mean really slight. The SB 10 meter focus is a big plus, and the easy ill. adjustment is also a big plus. I really feel that the NF is a big bang for your buck. With that said I'd still love to own a SB.

I have a lot of time through both. My shooting partner has a Nightforce 5.5-22x56, and I have a Schmidt and Bender 5-25x56 (my second one.)

Mechanically, both scopes are excellent.

The glass is a totally different level in the Bender though. While the Bender is so clear that is looks like you are actually closer to the target, looking through the Nightforce is like looking through a Coke bottle in comparison.

The Nightforce is an excellent value, and when the 5.5-22 F1 comes out, it will be probably a better VALUE than the Schmidt and Bender. However, when you add the zero stop and high speed turrets, the Nightforce is about $2,000. The S&B is about a grand more, but for that you get FFP, better glass, a wider magnification range, and a wider focus range.

In my opinion, it's worth it.

Agreed with BM11. I've had both F1 NF and 5.5-22 and I liked them. NF are extremely durable and will be well served with them. With that said if you want more clarity and a closer parallax focus the S&B 5-25 is the way to go, or if you can wait perhaps the 3-20 whenever that will show up (supposedly in the next 60 days) don't hold your breath.

I now own S&B PMII's in 4-16 and (2) in 5-25. One thing to keep in mind with the S&B's is that the illumination for most reticles is the center crosshair only (P4 P4Fine etc).

If you want a fully illuminated reticle in S&B you will pay a premium for a Gen II XR no longer offered from S&B or an H2CMR - special order or reticle change on a used model about $550 and an 8 week turnaround.

FYI the 5.5-22 F1 will never exist. It will be a 5-25 FFP with glass on par with S&B and Henny and the price tag will supposedly reflect it.

The H2CMR isn't a special order reticle. It can be ordered like any other reticle option. Just ordered a 5-25 with it in there a couple of weeks ago.

I've looked through several Benders (x12 is best Bender to my eyes) and now IOR (3.5) and on occasion (fast peek not enough to be able to really tell) through NF/Hensoldt/Zeiss/Leupold/Swaro. To my eyes Benders look "cold" with Zeiss being most neutral/natural
smile.gif
and IOR being on the yellowish side. NF i've seen 8-32 which to me was horrible (still very useful mind you) and Leupold (Mk4) being quite acceptable (i thought it will be crap due to a lot of negative comments on it). Thing with Hanzy/Zeiss/Swaro is a picture acquisition as no matter what you do with an eye you just fall in (best comparison would be 32" TV vs 52" TV). Glass on all is perfectly acceptable for target shooting and in the low ranges for lowlight hunting. To me Zeiss/Hanzy/Swaro just aint worth it, i've had two Benders (sold them to US) in 3-12 mag. range but decided to go with IOR (i might consider NF if i lived in US and buying home made would be an issue) and so far i'm perfectly happy. Got DTA 30moa mount which leaves me with 18mils of elevation, good glass, should work and eyebox is acceptable (but far from great).

With so much choice it really comes down to personal value tables and each has to do the math for themselves. Those with a lot of money (or little) have an easy choice
smile.gif

Over the last 10 years I went from Leupy Mark 4's, to Nightforce, to Razor HD. Just got my first Premier 5-25x56 two days ago. I couldn't tell a difference in glass between the S&B and Premier, but like the features on the Premier better. All I can say is my Razor HD is sold, my Leupolds are gone, and I have one Nightforce left. It sucks, paying 3 G's for a scope, but they really are that much better. I don't know what else to say. I guess buy once cry once LOL...

-SBS

I'm struggling at the moment to choose between premier and S&B 5-25 * 56 I can get them both for the same price over in the UK, i've only had the S*B in my hands so havn't had the opportunity to compare side by side. But based on the review that Ilya did I am edging towards the PR.

aj

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The H2CMR isn't a special order reticle. It can be ordered like any other reticle option. Just ordered a 5-25 with it in there a couple of weeks ago. </div></div>

Bad wording on my part. I meant more than likely you'll have to order it and wait a little bit, as it's not as common to have in stock from any of the Hide dealers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: apjohnson73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm struggling at the moment to choose between premier and S&B 5-25 * 56 I can get them both for the same price over in the UK, i've only had the S*B in my hands so havn't had the opportunity to compare side by side. But based on the review that Ilya did I am edging towards the PR.

aj </div></div>

Practically, they're about the same. It pretty much comes down to features. Premier is like a tricked out Hummer, while the S&B's have more of Porsche feel to them. Don't know if that helps... You can't go wrong with either in my opinion.

-SBS

Cheers..
At present we dont have any stockists of PR over in the UK so finding them is like rocking horse s*!te, but I like a scope that looks like its on roids, and like you say there isn't much to choose between them on quality.

Yes the SB glass is a bit clearer but you can buy a NF w zero stops and HS turrets in F1 for $1000 less.Also the NF is much more durable IMO.SB is very good but for the price point I stick with NF all day long.

USO Suck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexasReaperM40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes the SB glass is a bit clearer but you can buy a NF w zero stops and HS turrets in F1 for $1000 less.Also the NF is much more durable IMO.SB is very good but for the price point I stick with NF all day long.

USO Suck!
</div></div>

The NF would also be a second focal plane optic.

And more durable is debatable. Plenty of S&Bs in military service in many countries including our own and getting the mission done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexasReaperM40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also the NF is much more durable IMO
</div></div>NF is plenty durable. But have you ever seen a broken Schmidt and Bender?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've looked through several Benders (x12 is best Bender to my eyes) and now IOR (3.5) and on occasion (fast peek not enough to be able to really tell) through NF/Hensoldt/Zeiss/Leupold/Swaro. To my eyes Benders look "cold" with Zeiss being most neutral/natural
smile.gif
</div></div>And I would say the opposite is true! My Hensoldt looks a bit blue, with the Bender looking most like it is pulling the image closer, without looking "through" anything.

I love both my Hensoldt and my Schmidt and Bender, but the Zeiss glass is more "cold" in my eyes.