• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

School me on the 243 AR

gadgetguy1288

Coastie Herc Guy
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2012
Elizabeth City, NC
www.facebook.com
I want to build an AR platform in 243, since I have absolutely zero experience with the larger AR platform, I have no idea what I am getting my self into. :D

I want to go with a DPMS/KAC style receiver, but have no idea where to start from there.

Who makes a good stripped receiver set? Barrel? I emailed Lilja about it and they said they can sell me a 6mm blank, but Id have to find another gunsmith to chamber and profile it to work with an AR. Who else should I look at for barrels? was planning on between a 1-9 to 1-10 twist. Id read that 1-9.125 is a good balance for factory ammo.

I want to go with an 18" barrel, but I've been reading up on it and from what I have gathered there isn't a "standard location" for the gas block to go? If not how do I find out where to put it?

Primary use for this rifle will be hunting, and long range shooting(out to about 6-700yds to start with, maybe farther later on) I do no reload, and yes I realize that there are other more readily available options that will do everything I want to do easier and cheaper, and frankly I don't really care. It is my money and I have my heart set on an AR in 243, so don't bother trying to change my mind, I have always been "attracted" to what I would consider "odd" calibers or configurations. and I just like the 243 round more than 308, as it was the round i killed my first deer with so it has a special place for me more than 308 does. :p

Everyone left you hanging?

The comparison between .243, .260, 7mm-08, and .308 rings true for gas guns as well as bolt guns. Have to have good case neck tension and they are all over-gassed. Owned a few, not currently. For 6mm and 6.5mm, the AR-15 platform does all I need it to, with less weight and less cost.

If you don't need it next week, I would hold for a few months and see how the reviews, and new calibers, in the new DPMS GII platform stack up. It is generating a lot of buzz among those who run .308 pattern ARs, and I think with good reason. We'll just have to see if the implementation meets the design, or if other manufacturer's start to make barrels and such for it.

Sorry not much help, but I just hate to see hanging posts. :)

Gadgetguy1288,

I to love the 243 round...also the first rifle caliber i bought. Flat shooting, light recoil, and very accurate.

It seems that you are familiar with the two main large frame AR platforms (DPMS/SR-25) and Armalite. Good.

Not much to say about that other than check gunbroker, forums, and various websites for matching receiver sets.

As for barrels, well, 243s love long barrels...it really brings out the best of that round when launched from long tubes.

Personally, i'd buy one of Lilja's drop in barrels in 243 barrels in 24" length...if you must cut it back, then no shorter than 22" without a break (long as a 20" with a muzzle device)

If you dont reload, you are missing out, but ammo for 243 is cheap, can be found anywhere, which is more than can be said for the 6.5 calibers everyone has a hard-on for.

I was checking out the DPMS GII, and like what I'm seeing. Im thinking about emailing them to see if they have any plans to make one in 243. The only thing I want to do right away is a giessele trigger and a centurion CMR handguard, which will also require a lo-pro gas block.

Gonna warn you up front that the GII uses a non-standard barrel nut, so you probably wont be able to use that hardguard unless they make a barrel nut for the GII. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: Minor correction. It looks like some clamp on types may work.

I want to build an AR platform in 243, since I have absolutely zero experience with the larger AR platform, I have no idea what I am getting my self into. :D

I want to go with a DPMS/KAC style receiver, but have no idea where to start from there.

Who makes a good stripped receiver set? Barrel? I emailed Lilja about it and they said they can sell me a 6mm blank, but Id have to find another gunsmith to chamber and profile it to work with an AR. Who else should I look at for barrels? was planning on between a 1-9 to 1-10 twist. Id read that 1-9.125 is a good balance for factory ammo.

I want to go with an 18" barrel, but I've been reading up on it and from what I have gathered there isn't a "standard location" for the gas block to go? If not how do I find out where to put it?

Primary use for this rifle will be hunting, and long range shooting(out to about 6-700yds to start with, maybe farther later on) I do no reload, and yes I realize that there are other more readily available options that will do everything I want to do easier and cheaper, and frankly I don't really care. It is my money and I have my heart set on an AR in 243, so don't bother trying to change my mind, I have always been "attracted" to what I would consider "odd" calibers or configurations. and I just like the 243 round more than 308, as it was the round i killed my first deer with so it has a special place for me more than 308 does. :p

Krieger will do a barrel for you set up for the DPMS or AR10. I'm sure there are many others.

The difference between 1:9 and 1:9.125 is almost negligible. 1:9.5 may be a bit more reasonable. Also, I'd expect to lose a LOT of velocity going to 18" with a .243 barrel.

My experiences with .308 class calibers (260 and 308) in the DPMS style rifles is that they have a lot of extra gas. Also the smaller-bore calibers tend to use slower burning powder and are over-gassed even more than the .308's. I had Krieger make me a 26" SS barrel with a rifle length gas system (same as a full-length AR15). I had an adjustable gas block and tuned it down real low for softer cycling. Over the course of maybe 50-100 rounds, gas eroded the block and opened the flow right back up. I replaced it with a steel one and just dealt with it being unadjustable.

I could get it to shoot sub-MOA. Solid 3/4 MOA 10-rnd strings, but not any better. And they're a PITA to clean etc. etc.. Just a lot more work than I was originally expecting. I gave up on it and sold my DPMS and all uppers. I keep semi-autos to small calibers now. AR15 in 6.5 Grendel and a few 7.62x39mm's. Any kind of real LR (beyond 500yd) work is done with bolt actions.

Your mileage may vary. Just a heads up from my personal experience.