Scope Base: EGW or Warne?

Re: Scope Base: EGW or Warne?

Limited options. Nothing for Howa from Seekins, Murphy, Near, or Badger. Ken Farrell has one, but it appears very tall, more than I want. That leaves the EGW HD, which looks low and is in steel. Warne has one in steel. Roadale has some as well, but I need 0 MOA or 10 MOA for my short range shooting. Roedale is 20 MOA only for a Howa 1500 short action.

So far, just EGW and Warne...

- Phil

Have you called up Cameron Murphy? Often he will sell you one that isn't listed on his website. The reason why he doesn't list it there is due to low demand. He CNC cuts his products so he can even make you a custom one.

EGW is the one base brand that turns my stomach. Their product has the tacticool look without the tacticool performance. My EGW was made of pot metal and both the base and screws were so soft. I had to pay a gunsmith $50 to get the stripped EGW screws out when I was switching over to Murphy (the base cost less than what I paid to remove it).

The Murphy, in comparison, was just glorious. I could torque the screws hard and my rings would come to a solid stop. No give and no marks on the base. The screws that came with it were stainless, solid, and doesn't strip.

I needed a special base for my Templar, Cameron Murphy is going to custom make it and have it to me in under a week! That is awesome service. The price is very reasonable as well. Give him a call, he is very easy to deal with.

I have had the same experience with EGW. I will not use their centerfire bases until they start using better screws, the ones that they come with are total garbage. I do use their 10-22 base, but on bigger rifles it is not worth the grief!

they did some write up on their site. they use us made screws. they admit having a soft batch from a former supplier. but the bases are 6 or 7 series AL and the HD are steel i think. i had one. sold it and went ferrel with a stop

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you called up Cameron Murphy? Often he will sell you one that isn't listed on his website. The reason why he doesn't list it there is due to low demand. He CNC cuts his products so he can even make you a custom one.</div></div>

Per your post, I did e-mail Murphy Precision this morning. Less than 2 hours later, Cameron replies that he had made bases for Howa 1500 short actions and can do so in stainless with optional black coatings or titanium. He said he had not updated his website in a while to include the Howa.

With the kind of service demonstrated by Cameron, he has earned my business. I ordered it and Cameron said will be done a few days and in my hands next week. Wow. Super nice guy to boot.

- Phil

I really don't understand what's the issue with Warne base.

I have a one and am very happy with it. It's made of steel and it's finish is similar to my Savage 10 action and IOR Vtac rings.

Since I have nothing to compare this Warne base against, could you please tell me what's wrong with this so I can take it into consideration for my next base?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/61...ing+&+Accessories-_-PriceCompListing-_-619724