Scope base for 1,000 yards

Douglas-001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2012
50 miles west of Camp Perry
Greetings members,
I have been sniffing around and reading as much as I can about this topic, but would still like to ask this question as I could not find a direct answer using the search engine. I have a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20X50 Mil Dot en route courtesy of Scott @ Liberty Optics. Specs on the glass say 70 MOA for both windage and elevation. So that's 35 right? Rifle is a Remington 700P in .308 Win. 26" BBL. My goal is to shoot at Camp Perry for the any rifle/any sight at 1K. Another member advised 30 MOA base, and yet another feels that I can do it with the 20 MOA. So, after flogging this new guy (me) for this transgression-real or perceived- could members point me in the right direction, or post a link to that effect? Thanks. Good luck and good shooting!

P.S. Liberty Optics is where I'll send my fellow shooters. Scott is courteous and professional with the best prices!

Re: Scope base for 1,000 yards

Whwn the scope is fitted on a flat base and if the elevation turrent is set around the middle then that means you would have about 35 MOA of usable elevation to get to 1000yards, And as a rought guess without knowinng the detail of you rifle load and velocity you would need around 39 MOA to get to 1000 yards. if you fit a 20 MOA base then that will then take you to 55 MOA of usable elevation which would mean you would be able to get to 1000 yards with about 15 MOA of adjustment still in your turrent, Which would also mean you wold still have 15 MOA of adjustment down when you were on a zero of 200 yard. So a 20 MOA base would be fine if everything is in good allignment when you set up. I only use a 30 MOA base on my 300 win mag so i can get to 1400 yards and 338LM so i can get out past 1600 yards.