• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Scope Buying Decisions..(Sightron, Falcon, Etc..)

TexasUSMC

Private
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2009
Temecula, CA
I am trying to help a buddy come up with a good scope choice. Since I am a wee bit more knowledgeable than him he said $600. So I am looking around and trying to pick the best for the bucks. Here are my options, or the ones I found anyways. Let me know if you think of any others.

The scope will be going on a Remington 700 police in 308.
So in your opinions or experiences which of these 4 have the best durability, features, cost, BEST GLASS.

1. Sightron SIII Series
2. Nikon Monarch
3. Bushnell Elite 6500
4. Falcon Menace
New Addition
5. Wonders Optics 4-14
I havnt narrowed down the search to any certain power yet. I am thinking 4-16 or 4-20 x 50 or larger. 1" or 30mm may be a deciding factor but not sure just yet. Reticle is also not a deciding factor at this point. He doesnt know how to use miildot and I am thinking BDC or Crosshairs to keep it simple.

Let me know if I need to throw in more specifics to help you help me.

Re: Scope Buying Decisions..(Sightron, Falcon, Etc..)

For about 300 you can set him up with a SS fixed power.

Big question is how much of a shooter is he/she? If they have experience, It might well be worth getting the variable, if not, stick to a 10x fixed power. Remember KISS does not just work for machinery, it also applies to the shooter and in the learning process.

As far as it goes, the SS's are worth every penny and in my opinion quite a bit more than the +/- $300 asking price.

I have the 10x on my .300wm Sendero and my buddy has the 20x on his .308 PSS. I can shoot 1/4" groups all day @ 100yd+ with mine, his I have to search around for 5 minutes or so to even find the target I admit it gets you right up there, but also shows every bit of jitter and mirage.

Another question is at what distance will this rifle be primarily used? <200-300yd? or >500yd?

For what it is worth, the savings on a SS over some of the others you listed can be used for other things, down the road your buddy can upgrade, but will probably never get rid of the SS, just try to find one for sale on gunbroker or e-bay from anybody other than Eric of SWFA, people that get them do not get rid of them.

As far as it goes, I agree with the 30mm, gives you a nice sight picture (also rules out the Nikon) I cannot give you advise about the other three scopes, but you can find some write ups on them ovwer at Sniper Central (also on the SS)

I have also heard good things about Wonders, but need to give them a ring for my next purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bdh308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For 600 I would go for the new SS 3-9x42 FFP. </div></div>

I looked at it also but it has a rear focus and I have found the side focus to work better and for the money the others have better reviews and higher magnification. I havnt looked through one myself though so I cant say much.
I am starting to lean towards the Falcon since I already have one.

I myself am a fan of the Sightron S3's. If you can find one though. Id like to buy 2 6-24x50's with milldot if I could find them.

Of all the scopes you mentioned, I dont know about the wonder or Falcon. I would say the S3 has them beat.

Jerid

Personally I would go with a Sightron SIII series. Tracking is spot on (I actually trust the tracking on my SIII scopes versus the other scopes I have), glass is great and is rugged, warranty is a replacement warranty too.

The Nikons have really good glass, however I did not like the feel of the clicks when you turned the turrets. It was too tactile like something you would wear out over time and break.

As for the Bushnell 6500 there are mixed reviews about that scope. The 4200 tactical gets really good reviews and the question here is, "Is it really worth more money for the 6500?" Lots of people do not think they are that much better than the 4200 to justify the cost increase. The 10x elite 3200 is the best value in the bushnell line of scopes.

As for the Falcon they get mixed reviews on optical clarity but what can I say. If you want First Focal Plane Mil Reticule with Mil Turrets for under your price point of $600 then that would be the way to go.

Hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for the Falcon they get mixed reviews on optical clarity but what can I say.</div></div>

Here is a good look at Falcon glass. You decide. I wish more people would do this. Falcon 4-14 Test

John

Weasethis, Im glad someone has them in stock but, My best friend is a dealer so I can save a few buck if I wait..

Thanks for the heads up.

Jerid

You did not limit your search to NEW scopes so I would suggest he consider a used IOR as long as the seller has the origional paper work re warrenty. I have seen several 2.5 X 10 units on different web sights going for less that $600. I have looked through that scope and the glass is very good. the only drawback is if the scope has to go back for factory repairs, it has to go back to europe and plan of months of waiting.