• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Scope upgrade for 300-1000 yards target benchrest / prone comp?

What scope would YOU choose from the list considered?

• Zeiss LRP S3 6-36x56 FFP Illum. ZF-MRi ($2500)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tract TORIC UHD 4.5-30X56 34mm MRAD ELR FFP ($1695)

• Leupold Mark 5HD 7-35x56 M5C3 Illum. FFP TMR ($3,000)

• Total voters

angelspire

Private
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2024
USA, NJ
Hi, looking for recommendations from more experienced (than myself) crowd here on where to go from my current scope, and if it makes any sense, in terms of "you'll be able to tell the difference" point of view.

Goal is exclusively 300-1000 benchrest / prone target and competitions.

I'm currently running the following setup:

Action: Defiance Tenacity SA
Barrel: 6.5 CM 26" Proof Research Steel, 1/8 twist.
Brake: ACE Muzzle Brake
Chassis: MDT ACC Elite

Current scope I have on it - CRONUS BTR GEN2 UHD 4.5-29×56 APRS6 FFP IR MIL. It goes for MSRP of $1,875, but I've got one some time ago for $1,400. So, I would use that as a baseline.

I'm thinking on upgrading it and from what I was able to read / research I got down to the following list (with the rationale why it's on the list). Price points are all over the place, I can go to the top priced option but only if it makes a really noticeable difference from the previous tier.

Looking for your thoughts on this list items, what makes / doesn't make sense, what I may be missing from it that would be potentially better pick for the task. And does it even makes sense to upgrade, or there will be no noticeable difference from what I'm running right now.

Option I'm most leaning to:
  • Zeiss LRP S3 6-36x56 FFP Illum. ZF-MRi Reticle - 34mm Tube. MSRP $2,500 non-sale. Reason is that on paper it looks amazing, I've read and watched some really great reviews on it. I also run Zeiss Conquest V6 3-18 on my other rifle and I love it. It's also right on a sweet spot for me price-wise. Can be found for $2150 Demo-like-new

Alternative options I consider:
  1. Tract TORIC UHD 4.5-30X56 34mm MRAD ELR FFP. MSRP $1,695 non-sale. Reason - looks good on paper, locking turrets, lots of glaring reviews, amazing price. Not sure however if that will be meaningful upgrade over my current scope.
  2. Leupold Mark 5HD 7-35x56 M5C3 Illum. FFP TMR. MSRP $3,000 non-sale. All Leupold scopes I had over the years were always reliable, no issues, "buy, install and forget" kind of thing. Consistently really good glass. Also good reviews and seems like it's an aggregate of all Leupold tech coming together targeted for a PRS audience. Have concerns if the reticle is good though, Leupold is known for having the thick bloated reticle lines that obstruct your target.
  3. Nightforce NX8 – 4-32x50mm F1 MIL-XT. MSRP $2,150 non-sale. Rationale for inclusion - Nightforce at a comfortable price point. Reviews are all over the place, some are saying it's the final buy, some saying it's nothing special and there're better options for the price. Can't really come to a solid conclusion.
  4. Nightforce ATACR – 7-35x56mm F1 MIL-XT. MSRP $3,600 non-sale. The most expensive on the list. Reason for inclusion - well, it's Nightforce ATACR. Probably will serve my kids, their kids, kids of their kids and after the humanity will devolve to primitive tools due to the apocalypse - they still could use it as a hammer. Beyond my comfortable price point, but if it really marginally better than the next cheaper option - I can cough it up.
Options that didn't get to the list purely to the price point, but I would consider if I can find them on sale for below $3500:
  • Zero Compromise Optic ZC527 MPCT2X. Street price $4,100. every single person I spoke to that ever was exposed to this scope speak highly of it and refers to it as "your last stop in PRS, buy once cry once" thing. Price point still gets me way out of my comfort zone.
  • Schmidt & Bender 6-36x56 PM II High Performance GR2ID. Street price around $4,100. Same as above - extremely highly praised, everyone is referencing it as "best you can have". Also far beyond my comfortable price point.
What are your thoughts on the list? Recommendations, concerns, your experience with any from the list?

Last edited: