• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Scoping options for Savage MK II TR?

Am180man

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2008
Missouri
Ordered a Savage MK II TR last week. Should be here sometime this week, and now I'm looking at scopes for it. What are you guys running on your rifles. I don't want to get too stupid in pricing.....would like to stay in the 200.00 range give or take. I'm not completely opposed to going a little higher.
Suggestions?????
Steve

Re: Scoping options for Savage MK II TR?

I ordered a Mueller 4.5-14x40 APT for mine. I havent recieved it yet but All the reviews I've hear have been excellent, and they're $145 shipped. Its a true mildot on 10x and an adjustable objective. Also, for $70 I put a Centerpoint 4-16x40 on one of my other .22s and its pretty good for the price but eye relief is a bit finicky and the red/green illumination feature lights up the whole inside of the tube.

I would second the Mueller 4.5-14X40 APT . I got to use my buddies the other day and it worked admirably . The Mil-Dots ranged correctly and as we were using it on a .22 shooting out to 200+ yards the knobs got cranked a LOT ! At the end of it all when returned to zero it was spot on at 35 yards and the parallax adjustment will let you focus even closer than that . We have over a dozen of the Mueller scopes in service on everything from a .22 to a .308 and even mounted one on the Barrett .50 cal. for a brief stint just to see if it would hold up (which it did) . They have very good glass and if you break it , they will replace it . The only thing I didn't like about the 4.5-14 were the clicks on the turret , they just don't feel very solid but they seemed to track correctly and return to zero so I guess thats all that really counts .

Depending on your application I would look at the Falcon menace line. I personally wanted to something to mimic my USO scope. So having the FFP and Mil line reticle was important. In addition to having the close parallax focusing and 22 milrad adjustments.
tr.jpg
I swap this scope between the TR and my AR-15.

It is little over your budget but is something to consider if you are trying to duplicate a more expensive scope.

I've got 4 dealers looking for a TR with no luck.

Have you considered a Tru Glow in mil/mil they are pretty inexpensive on natchezs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master Stream</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got 4 dealers looking for a TR with no luck.

Have you considered a Tru Glow in mil/mil they are pretty inexpensive on natchezs </div></div>

I dont think a Mil/Mil truglo exists man

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master Stream</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got 4 dealers looking for a TR with no luck.

Have you considered a Tru Glow in mil/mil they are pretty inexpensive on natchezs </div></div>

Bwahh haa haa haaaa.....my Savage TR arrived today! My Mueller 4.5x14 scope will be here tomorrow! Now I'm going to order the TR in 17HMR. I wish they would offer one in 22 magnum....oh well.
Steve

Two things:

1 - NO BS assessment of the Mueller APT. How does it track, repeatable, etc.?

2 - On the rifle, just a FYI, Savage lists it as $469, so definitely available in the upper 3's/low 4's at your favorite dealer.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uscbigdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Two things:

1 - NO BS assessment of the Mueller APT. How does it track, repeatable, etc.?

2 - On the rifle, just a FYI, Savage lists it as $469, so definitely available in the upper 3's/low 4's at your favorite dealer.

Rich
</div></div>

I had a APT that I just returned to midway. I ran quite a few box tests and the scope didn't have any issues. I ran 5 shot groups at each corner of the box at 25 and 50 yards. I returned the scope because I could not get the elevation knob off to reset the turret to 0 after zeroing the rifle. I didn't want to pry it off with any tools; however, it pulled like all hell on the thing and couldn't get it off for the life of me. The windage turret came off without any issues. I'm not a huge fan of the way the turrets were designed (I like the ones that have set screws that you remove and twist the turret to zero the turret). That being said, I still think it's an great scope for the price. I had no problems getting it to focus at 10-15 yards. I'll probably try out another in the future, but I opted to get a Konus M30 for the 22 that the APT was on (I have yet to get to the range with the M30). I have a 22 mag that needs a scope upgrade (the scope and rifle are like 30 years old). I'm thinking I will try another APT on that one when I decide it's time to budget for that rifle.