Scratches on spotting scope

lennyo3034

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2010
USA
I came upon a Pentax PF-80EDA for a good price. Unfortunately the previous owner used toilet paper to clean the lenses, resulting in scratches in both the objective and eyepiece. It was my understanding that blemishes on the objective wouldn't have a major effect (hence the reason ARDs exist). Is this correct?

I plan on replacing the eyepiece anyways, but may send back to Pentax for repair. Does anyone have experience with their customer service?

Thanks.

Re: Scratches on spotting scope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I came upon a Pentax PF-80EDA for a good price. Unfortunately the previous owner used toilet paper to clean the lenses, resulting in scratches in both the objective and eyepiece.</div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">lennyo3034</span></span>

Did the Seller not disclose that the Objective and Ocular lenses were scratched before you committed to purchase the scope sight unseen? Maybe you failed to notice them during a FTF inspection? I don't know what your idea of <span style="font-style: italic">"a good price"</span> is, but if you knew about the scratches prior to committing to the purchase hopefully you made an "allowance" for lens replacement. I say this because you may find replacement of the the Objective Lens and Eyepiece pricey.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was my understanding that blemishes on the objective wouldn't have a major effect (hence the reason ARDs exist). Is this correct?</div></div>
Uh, have you looked through the scope yet? How does it look to you? Where did you get the notion that blemishes on the Objective can't have a significant effect? The severity, location, and depth of the scratches will determine the extent (if at all) that the scratches affect the performance of the scope and your ability and enjoyment of using it. Since toilet paper alledgely made the scratches its' probably the coatings that have been scratched and not the glass itself. Still, small scratches in the lens or lens coating can be bothersome if towards the center of the view - the viewing eye is typically drawn to them. Scratches and/or rub marks in lens coatings can cause (unwanted) light dispersion and reflection.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I plan on replacing the eyepiece anyways, but may send back to Pentax for repair. Does anyone have experience with their customer service?

Thanks.</div></div>
I've never had occasion to use Pentax Customer Service, but I wish you luck on getting your scope serviced and lenses replaced at a cost that won't negate the <span style="font-style: italic">good price</span> that you paid.

Keith

I've looked through the scope. I can the scratches on the eyepiece, but once I focus my eyes on the image, they go away. I do not notice the scratches on the objective at all. The seller offered to take it back, but I called Pentax customer service and they will repair it for a $20 shipping/handling fee.

I was quite impressed with the policy actually, they repair it no matter what. If I dropped it out of a plane...they'd still repair it for $20.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've looked through the scope. I can the scratches on the eyepiece, but once I focus my eyes on the image, they go away. I do not notice the scratches on the objective at all. The seller offered to take it back, but I called Pentax customer service and they will repair it for a $20 shipping/handling fee.</div></div>
The Pentax "Worry Free Warranty" that covers PENTAX Sport Optics applies to <span style="font-style: italic">original purchaser</span> on products purchased in the United States, on or after March 1, 2006, from an authorized PENTAX Sport Optics dealer. That doesn't include you, but as long as Pentax Customer Service doesn't require you to show that you are the original purchaser you're probably GTG. If I were you I'd send your scope in for repair lickety-split. Pentax will probably overhaul the scope while the Objective is being replaced.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Sport Optics "Worry-Free" Warranty

The PENTAX “Worry-Free” Warranty is available on all PENTAX Sport Optics products purchased in the United States, on or after March 1, 2006, from an authorized PENTAX Sport Optics dealer.

PENTAX Sport Optics products are of the highest optical and mechanical quality. If your PENTAX Binocular, Spotting Scope or Riflescope purchased in the USA from an authorized PENTAX Sport Optics dealer requires repair, PENTAX will repair or replace it to the original purchaser (even if damaged by fault) for a charge of $19.95, to cover handling and return shipping.* This warranty does not cover cosmetic damage, theft or loss. (Replacement may be with comparable model at PENTAX’s discretion if the original model is no longer available.)

*Applies only to unmodified equipment or product with modifications performed by authorized PENTAX repair personnel.</span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was quite impressed with the policy actually, they repair it no matter what. If I dropped it out of a plane...they'd still repair it for $20. </div></div>
Repair discretion is still up to Pentax (even if you are the original owner, which you aren't), but it sounds like as long as the Customer Service technician you speak with is cool (and you don't piss them-off) Pentax will probably repair it for free (less the $19.95 to cover handling and return shipping, which is nothing). Good for you.

Keith

I had no idea toilet paper can scratch the coatings. I would think the only negative was leaving behind some dust and lint. Must not be using Charmin Ultra, that stuff is really soft. I would probably used it to clean my optics had I not bought a cheap Lenspen.