• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Photos Sewing skills are gettin better...

joebino55

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
Ft Benning, Georgia
Im gonna quit the Army and open up a tactical sew shop. This is what I do when I get bored at home. Made 10 rear bags on Sunday from shit I had laying around. Took a few prototypes to get it perfected but they turned out pretty nice.

Re: Sewing skills are gettin better...

Yep... And when I have 56 more posts I probably will
smile.gif

Pink, similar ones go for around $20.00 on most websites but these arent made in a third world sweat shop. They are made right here in the good ole USA.
grin.gif
Maybe I'll send you one for free for being customer numero uno.

BB's are expensive, my next few will be with this "stuffed animal fill" from hobby lobby which is basically plastic ground up in a shape similar to Varget Powder and about 1/3rd the cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doubled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BB's are expensive, my next few will be with this "stuffed animal fill" from hobby lobby which is basically plastic ground up in a shape similar to Varget Powder and about 1/3rd the cost. </div></div>

I used "poly fill," I think it was called. Also from the hobby store, used to make dolls. Worked really well. These look like nice bags!

I'm interested in one...
Possible to make without fill? aught to be easier to post as an empty bag...
I've ended up making a heap of things out of a mixture of desperation & boredom, so my sewing skills is better than most woman's but used to make guy stuff...
Plz PM me price etc.
Rgds
R-Raven

I made a few with zippers that can be filled to someones desired capacity. I like the ones without zippers better just for the fact that there is no chance of it coming open and losing all of your fill. If I make them without BBs and you didnt want a zipper, I would have to leave the corner with the 550 loop open.

Welcome to the Stitch Bitch Union.
You will want to spend some time over on DIY Tactical if you haven't already.

Word of caution to you though...
That bag looks very much like the one Tony Burkes makes. (TAB Gear)
http://www.primalrights.com/images/reviews/IMG_5222.JPG
Be careful of what you make.
Tony is a big sponsor here and the reception would not be very warm if you tried to sell them here.

When in doubt, contact the owner of the original design...
Tony is a really nice guy and he just might be cool with you making them if you asked.

I'm curious about the "Noise" level associated with using hard plastics in the bag.

I'll be picking up my first "long range" (.308 rem 700) rifle later this week finally after a nearly 1 year delay while I sorted out my Father's estate and I'll need a few peripherals.

A quiet, durable, weather resistant rear bag is near the top of that list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IndySSD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm curious about the "Noise" level associated with using hard plastics in the bag.

I'll be picking up my first "long range" (.308 rem 700) rifle later this week finally after a nearly 1 year delay while I sorted out my Father's estate and I'll need a few peripherals.

A quiet, durable, weather resistant rear bag is near the top of that list.</div></div>

sorry, dont mean to thread-jack, but what the hell are you talking about guy?

OP, looks good but yeah be aware of your item looking very much the same as a pre existing product. And gotta say.......at least its not a quilt or a tactical blankey

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IndySSD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm curious about the "Noise" level associated with using hard plastics in the bag.

A quiet, durable, weather resistant rear bag is near the top of that list.</div></div>

sorry, dont mean to thread-jack, but what the hell are you talking about guy?

OP, looks good but yeah be aware of your item looking very much the same as a pre existing product. And gotta say.......at least its not a quilt or a tactical blankey </div></div>

I'm talking about some bag some guy had at the range last year that sounded like he was constantly opening a bag of ruffles. I'm guessing it wasn't using bb's but it was annoying as crap because my electronic muffs actually amplify ambient sounds below the cutoff and the shooting benches are only ~ 4-6 ft apart at Atterbury on the 100 yard public range.

I also don't like shooting near folks who are the heavily labored breathers after target swaps... sounds like darth vader in my damn muffs.

Guess the business idea is out the window... I just looked at the TAB bags and yeah its the same thing. I just saw one of them somewhere and thought f*ck I am a badass seamstress, I can make those. Wasnt my intention to offend anyone or rip off their product. Glad I didnt make a hundred of them last night.

I use sunflower seeds to fill a rear bag, as a bonus, I can eat 'em in a pinch. I did have a mouse gnaw the corner out of a bag over the winter once though.

Nice work. Sewing of any kind is beyond my motor skills capacity.

I made my wife show me how to use the sewing mashine to make rear bags. The first one she made is the best one ive played with. Airsoft BBs are great light, reasonably quiet, and willnot hold water and get soggy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sit down and make a hundred of them, see what its like to sew for a living. </div></div>
HE did sit down and make them!
Steve you do not have any in stock, why is that?

Maybe I'll be your biggest competitor someday
grin.gif
I was only joking about quitting the Army to sew for a living. Although I do spend a lot of time sewing, it is mostly out of necessity. I learned to sew when I had to make my first ghillie suit and have since made them (or at least helped) for most of the guys in my section and a few others. Also modify a lot of MOLLE gear, assault packs and uniforms too. I like doing it as long as its something tactical. Maybe I will look into being a vendor or selling but probably never for a living. Thanks for the advice.

I would like to have one for my son-inlaw. He is in Afgan, and your bag looks much better than the sock he uses. Bet it smells better too.
If he likes it he may want one for his guys.
Let me know what I owe you.
Thanks, Robert.