• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Shamu Kills Female Trainer...

Slapchop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2009
New York
<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">...At Sea World Orlando.</span></span>

Related links

FOX40 News on Twitter.com

ORLANDO - A SeaWorld employee died this afternoon during an incident at SeaWorld's Shamu Stadium, an Orange County Sheriff's Office official confirmed.

SeaWorld, rescue personnel and the Sheriff's Office are not revealing the identity of the victim, although a local TV station is reporting that it was a female employee who was killed after she was grabbed by one of the theme park's whales at the start of a public show.

Park guest Victoria Biniak told Local 6 that the trainer was a veteran of SeaWorld and had just finished explaining to the audience what they would see during the performance.

At that point, Biniak said, the whale came up from the water and grabbed the woman.

"He was thrashing her around pretty good. It was violent,'" Biniak told Local 6.

The whale "took off really fast in the tank, and then he came back, shot up in the air, grabbed the trainer by the waist and started thrashing around, and one of her shoes flew off."

She said sirens went off and everyone was forced to leave the stadium.

Guests were evacuated from the area, and the whale show was cancelled. The park is not shut down.

Orange County Fire Rescue personnel arrived on scene within five minutes of receiving a 911 call for an unknown medical condition just prior to 2 p.m., a spokesman said. The woman was dead when rescue officials arrived.

The Sheriff's Office is on the scene.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration dispatched an investigator from Tampa to investigate, an OSHA spokesman said.

Local 6 is reporting that the whale involved in the incident is named Tillikum, and that whale has been involved in at least one other incident at the park.

Tillikum, nicknamed "Tilly," has a controversial past. The large whale was blamed for the drowning of one of his trainers in 1991 while he was performing at Sealand of the Pacific in British Columbia.

Sold to SeaWorld as a stud in 1992, the whale was involved in a second incident when authorities discovered the body of a naked man lying across his back in July 1999.

Authorities later concluded the man, who had either snuck into SeaWorld after hours or hidden in the park until it closed, most likely drowned after suffering hypothermia in the 55-degree water.

But they also said it appeared Tillikum had bit the man and tore of his swimming trunks, likely believing he was a toy to play with.

SeaWorld has had incidents with its killer whales in the past. In 2005, a trainer was injured by what park officials called an "overly excited" whale that bumped the trainer during a live performance. The injuries were minor.

Many animal-rights activists have long criticized SeaWorld and other marine parks for keeping orcas and other wildlife in captivity. Russ Rector, a former dolphin trainer in Fort Lauderdale, said keeping the animals captive makes them dangerous.

"Captivity is abusive to these animals. And the abuse mounts up. And when these animals snap -- just for a minute -- they're so big and can be so dangerous that it's like a shotgun," Rector said. "It does an incredible amount of damage in just a moment."

Copyright © 2010, Orlando Sentinel

News Link

Re: Shamu Kills Female Trainer...

ha ha ha ha.... like the dumb-asses who want a pet orangutan and then it eats their face!

"Why do they call it a killer whale?"

"I don't know but I really want to stick my head in it's mouth in front of this crowd."

"Hell yeah! Then we can do swim with stingrays!"

We had a dog that bit someone recently, and was put to death. This killer whale isn't exactly the type to be rehabilitated.

Anyone have a good Killer Whale barbeque recipe?

"I got a great idea! Lets take this tiger to Las Vegas and make it do fucking magic tricks! What could happen?"

The whale was probably traumatized for life when he woke up and found a naked man laying on his back.
eek.gif

So this whale is responsible for what...2 kills? If they decide to play "whack the whale" I've always said a 45/70 shooting CorBon 460gr hardcasts would "kill a whale." Or maybe Buffalo Bores...

"Captivity is abusive to these animals. And the abuse mounts up. And when these animals snap -- just for a minute -- they're so big and can be so dangerous that it's like a <span style="font-weight: bold">shotgun</span>," Rector said. "It does an incredible amount of damage in just a moment."

Had to bring guns into it, didn't they. Why not like a pissed off circus elephant, or flying monkeys. But a shotgun. I know i have seen shotguns get all hot and bothered and attack people on there own.

Oh, and like was stated. IT A KILLER WHALE, Here's your sign.

I know its been posted before, but time to call in these guys
grin.gif

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GosClBN6rzk"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GosClBN6rzk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

With two kills(now three) in Tillikum's favor already I wonder how Sea World was able to obtain liability insurance.

Call in the class action lawyers for the victim and the spectators.

Here is a different, yet relevant article about the chimpanzee who ate the woman's face in Connecticut and the police officer who most likely saved her life.

February 24th 2010
By MICHAEL WILSON
NY TIMES

STAMFORD, Conn. — Everybody here knew Travis the Chimp, whose owners drove him around in a tow truck, and Police Officer Frank Chiafari, on the job for 25 years, remembered playing with him when their paths would cross.

“When I saw him, he was small and cute and friendly — he’d wave at you,” Officer Chiafari recalled. “Who would have ever thought when we were playing together, we’d have this incident 15 years later?”

It has been a little over a year since Travis, the 14-year-old, 200-pound pet of Sandra Herold, 71, mauled a family friend in Ms. Herold’s driveway. Officer Chiafari and another officer were the first to respond to Ms. Herold’s 911 call, and after the chimpanzee attacked his vehicle and opened the driver-side door in the driveway, Officer Chiafari fatally shot Travis.

The story and its sensational underpinnings — Travis lived like a human, eating steak and drinking wine and, when he became hostile the day of the attack, ingesting Xanax — swept the globe. Travis had appeared in Old Navy and Coca-Cola commercials and television shows; the actress Morgan Fairchild, who had appeared beside him, called his death a “sin.”

The victim, Charla Nash, 56, survived. Her recovery from the attack — the chimp bit and clawed off her face and hands — was presented to the world via an episode of the “Oprah Winfrey Show” in November. She was blind, her features lost in a bulbous and livid pulp.

But until now, no one had heard Officer Chiafari’s story.

In an interview in Stamford police headquarters on Tuesday, Officer Chiafari, 53, a husband and a father of three, described that day and the crippling depression and anxiety that followed. He was haunted not just by the frightening encounter with the bloody and enraged chimp that outweighed him by 50 pounds, but also by images of the victim in the driveway.

“I’d go to the mall and see women and imagine them without faces,” he said.

Officer Chiafari required therapy but was denied a worker’s compensation claim. The reason was that harrowing episodes involving a person — shooting a suspect, for example — would be covered but similar encounters with animals were not.

His visits to a therapist were eventually covered by the City of Stamford after police and union officials became involved on his behalf, said Sgt. Joseph Kennedy, president of the Stamford Police Association.

State Senator Andrew J. McDonald, a Stamford Democrat, has introduced legislation that would cover an officer’s compensation for mental or emotional impairment after killing an animal when under threat of deadly force. Officer Chiafari plans to testify on Thursday at a General Assembly Committee on Labor and Public Employees hearing on behalf of the proposed legislation.

Officer Chiafari did not come to the job naturally. Raised in Queens, he moved to Connecticut in his late 20s after eight years working in Manhattan as an apprentice at a printer and as a store detective in Times Square — a job he said he hated. A singer-songwriter, he performed Beatles covers and original songs in clubs in Queens and Long Island and at parties.

Nonetheless, he took the Stamford police test with a friend and passed; he joined the department in 1985. He still sings and continues to record covers and original songs. He regularly takes long walks to relax, and he loves animals. He had only once before fired his gun in the line of duty, to kill a deer that had been struck by a vehicle.

On Feb. 16, 2009, Officer Chiafari started his shift at 3 p.m., reporting his location with his police radio and stopping at a Starbucks for tea with another officer. Then the radio sounded.

“The call came over as ‘monkey attacking someone,’ ” he said. “At first it sounded humorous. Then they said, ‘Code Three’ — lights and sirens, get there fast.

“I could tell something was not right.”

The dispatcher became more urgent as the officers, in separate cars, sped to Ms. Herold’s house on Rock Rimmon Road. Officer Chiafari realized who the so-called monkey was: The Herold family owned a towing company that occasionally responded to police calls to move vehicles, and they would bring their pet chimp along. (“Travis loves cops,” Ms. Herold said in 1998.)

As Officer Chiafari drove, he thought, “Wait a minute, that’s Travis.”

He pulled up to the house and saw a lump of clothing in the driveway. “Then I realized it’s a human being,” he said. “It was all ripped apart.”

He parked to the right of the body, and the other officer parked on its left. Officer Chiafari’s car blocked the body from the front porch, where he saw Travis jumping up and down, in a “frenzy.”

“He starts bashing the passenger window,” he said. “I’m terrified. I see what he’s done to the victim.” He drew his pistol, but Ms. Herold, who had been hiding in a vehicle, emerged behind the chimp, entering his line of fire. He looked back at the victim. “She had no face, and there’s blood pulsating out. She’s bleeding out.” He holstered his gun.

Travis swatted the side-view mirror off the squad car “like it was butter,” Officer Chiafari said. As Officer Chiafari puzzled over how he could help the victim, Travis returned to the porch, then calmly walked around his car and approached the driver-side door.

“I forgot I had the door unlocked,” Officer Chiafari said. He had unlocked it to help Ms. Nash before the chimp distracted him. “He pulls the door open. Now we’re, like, face to face with each other. Our eyes met.”

There was blood all over the chimp, whose owner had stabbed him in the back with a butcher knife. The chimp seemed as surprised that he had opened the door as Officer Chiafari, who was pinned in his seat by a computer console and again drawing his pistol.

“He gave me a split second to react,” he said. “He shows his teeth, a snarl, and I see blood. I see his fangs. I just start to shoot.”

He said that he does not remember hearing the four shots and that the chimp did not seem to react; he thought the gun had misfired. But then Travis screamed one last time and ambled away.

Officer Chiafari and paramedics, who had been waiting in their vehicles for the chimp to leave, rushed to the body on the ground. “She had no face,” he said. “Her hands are off. There are thumbs and fingers all over the place.” He called out to her. “I feel bad, but I was hoping she wasn’t conscious.”

But Ms. Nash reached out with the stumps of her arms and tried to grab the officer’s leg, a memory that was perhaps the worst for him that day.

Travis had entered his home and died in his living quarters. Ms. Nash was rushed to a hospital. Officer Chiafari was, too, for shock, and then sent home, where he told his wife and children — a 10-year-old girl and a teenage boy and girl — what had happened.

“The next morning, I crashed,” he said. “I’d always heard of post-traumatic stress. Tell you the truth, I don’t think I believed in it.”

He saw a therapist and told the story with great difficulty, remembering the chimp’s fingers — “like sausages” — smashing at his window and rocking the car. After the attack, he said, he could not wear a red shirt because it reminded him of blood. Everyone wanted to hear the story. His therapist told him to politely decline, which helped.

Officer Chiafari returned to work a month or so later. At first he could not drive down Rock Rimmon Road, until he forced himself to visit the fateful driveway and confront his fear.
<span style="color: #CC0000">
<span style="font-weight: bold">People second-guessed him: “Why didn’t I wait for a stun gun? Why didn’t I talk to it?” He shook his head. “I can’t say, ‘Hey Travis, let’s wait for a stun gun.’ ” He believes shooting the chimp when he did saved Ms. Nash’s life by allowing paramedics to reach her.
</span></span>
Nonetheless, waves of panic and depression came and went. He was plagued by dreams of a faceless woman on a July family visit to Disney World that ruined his appetite and his vacation. Ms. Nash’s much-publicized “Oprah” visit, which he avoided watching, brought back painful memories. But he said he was feeling more and more like his old self.

“I’m a positive person,” he said, adding that he holds open the possibility of meeting Ms. Nash someday — but not yet.

He has a sense of humor about his reaction to that day. “I’ll go to the store and my daughter will say, ‘Daddy, don’t look in the corner,’ and it’s a chimp in the corner,” he said with a laugh. He still avoids news coverage of the shooting and any shows about deadly chimps. “On TV, ‘When Animals Attack’ — I turn it off.”

So naturally, when the Animal Planet network asked if Officer Chiafari would participate in a re-enactment of the attack, he declined. Someone else played his part, and the episode is scheduled to be shown on March 28 as part of a series titled “Fatal Attractions.”

Travis dictated the events of that fatal day, but Officer Chiafari does not hold him responsible.

“I consider him a victim,” he said. “He should have been in the jungle where he’s supposed to be. Not in a house drinking wine and taking Xanax.”

Kinda like those folks in california - they ban hunting cougars - they buid houses in the woods in hte hills and go jogging and end up as kitty food.

Here kitty kitty..

Here Whale...come here boy....

Time to shove a big rifle down the whale's air hole and squeeze one off!! Whale blubber burgers anyone?? Somebody report that man to PETA!!
laugh.gif

Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedRyder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The whale was probably traumatized for life when he woke up and found a naked man laying on his back.
eek.gif

So this whale is responsible for what...2 kills? If they decide to play "whack the whale" I've always said a 45/70 shooting CorBon 460gr hardcasts would "kill a whale." Or maybe Buffalo Bores...</div></div>

not to make light of this horrific tragedy but that is some funny shit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TRON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
not to make light of this horrific tragedy but that is some funny shit </div></div> I agree ..............<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"I got a great idea! Lets take this tiger to Las Vegas and make it do fucking magic tricks! What could happen?"</div></div> LMAO!

Orca’s (Killer Whales) have been proven to be one of the most intelligent mammals in the ocean....and the most deadly....

Not unlike the wolves on land they are wolves of the sea… they are close family orientated hunt in large packs (pods)...and do whatever it takes to protect their young....

A creature that big with that mentality..... here is a novel idea lets pull it out of its environment away from family unit....put it in a swimming pool and hand feed it tuna....and teach it to speak and rollover.....

Again man just ate up with a case of the dumbass.....how the hell we got to the moon just baffles me!!!....LOL!!!!

Like everyone else here, probably, I have a picture of myself as a kid petting and chilling next to Shamu The Killer Whale. This was 30 years ago.

Now, after what we know, I wouldn't let ANY kid for ANY reason around the animal. Imagine how much worse this story gets if it's a 5 year old in the whale's mouth....

And where are the insurance people on this deal? The most cautious people in the business, and they allow this to happen not once but three times? Someone should have to find a new job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EXTREMEPREJUDICE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TRON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
not to make light of this horrific tragedy but that is some funny shit </div></div> I agree ..............<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"I got a great idea! Lets take this tiger to Las Vegas and make it do fucking magic tricks! What could happen?"</div></div> LMAO! </div></div>

Hey...but the show must go on...right???,LOL

What's a chewed up trainer here and there when Sea World can make a few buck's
wink.gif

Seems to me they could at least surgically implant a small explosive charge near the brains of those beasts and hit the trigger if they go nuts.

Steve