• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Shitty Day

Aftermath

RECOIL FETISHIST
Minuteman
  • May 14, 2013
    Yonder
    This morning I was moving my Jeep and ran over my old Weiner Dog. He was 15, real deaf and nearly blind. His official name was Diesel but he had a few names and Weiner Dog or WD is what we called him most of the time. We buried him down in the pasture under what we call The L:eek:ve Tree, an old oak with two trunks. I can see his grave from the house. They sure don't live long enough anyway but, damn..I ran over him.

This morning I was moving my Jeep and ran over my old Weiner Dog. He was 15, real deaf and nearly blind. His official name was Diesel but he had a few names and Weiner Dog or WD is what we called him most of the time. We buried him down in the pasture under what we call The L:eek:ve Tree, an old oak with two trunks. I can see his grave from the house. They sure don't live long enough anyway but, damn..I ran over him.

BTDT
    Back in 2015
    Hadnt been long since i lost my wife of 18+years. Bad snow storm. My old blind cattle dog was standing in the wheel rut when i crested the hill trying to get up my driveway in 20 inches of snow. He couldnt get out of the way. He couldnt see me, i couldnt see him.
    Had to put him down with my g26.
    Still bothers me. No long goodbye.

Dont dwell on it. Not your fault, not his fault, its just the sorrows of this world.

You have my deepest sympathy and understanding.

WD doing the mind meld.JPG
    WD at Dworshak fishing for sticks in the water.JPG
    WD wanting under the blanket.JPG
    WD pouting.JPG

My condolences.

Losing a dog is like losing a family member, literally. I found that my dog was better company than most people.

Now, I have an 18 year old cat (they got along.) She is getting slower and pickier.

I would love to have another dog but my work schedule is so long that he would be at home and alone for most of the day. Granted, that could be better than a shelter....

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. Yeah, ole' WD may have been ready go soon but you must have freaked out at having run him over. Shit....I love dogs as apparently you do to....running my pet dog over would give me the willies. As said, not your fault, it just happened and you did give the little stinker a great long life.

That is indeed a shitty day. Best of luck.

Thanks fellas.
    It sucks for sure, mainly because I ran him over. I’ve had dogs all of my life and have buried too many. But never killed one like this. I’m not blaming myself too much. Shit happens. Even so, it’s been a tear filled day. He truly was unique. He knew about 200 words of English, loved and would beg for a good IPA, do every trick he knew (lots of them) for one piece of popcorn. He could rip the squeaker out of a new toy in 30 seconds or less. He loved rides and if you left your vehicle door open, you might have to turn around once you realized you had my dog. He liked going fishing. He’d go out and fetch anything that was floating he could see. I truly miss him.

We have 3 other dogs. My 3 year old German Wire Haired Pointer is now the old man and he’s been looking for WD all day. It just breaks my heart. They were pals even though they tried hard to never act like it. They shared a kennel. Magnum V is lonely.

We have biological sister mini weenies. Same mom and dad, one litter apart. They are hilarious but they’re also looking for him. Kittie Dawg and Lila June liked to pick on the old man and he generally just took it but once in a while he’d tell them to knock it off and they would.

Bummer. Had to put down the best dog I have ever had due cancer two years ago today. His one time cohort turned arch enemy followed him a mear 9 months later. They were 10 and 12. My 2 dogs before them both cancer at 3 and 5. Those dogs were really hard to watch waste away in their physical prime.

Other than my wife and my brother, you guys are the nearest thing I have to a support group. Actually, I do have 4 friends. We are separated by a few days drive but we get together once in a while and phone/text regularly. I’d have another but that would be a handful and I’m just not very socially inclined. I’ve put faces on a few names here and have yet to meet anyone I didn’t care for. I’m sure there are some real nice guys around but I prefer you assholes over most everyone.

But…my dogs keep me going every day and about 0630 tomorrow, the sun is gonna shine again. The bird dog will tell me he’s ready for me to get up and give him his breakfast. About 30 minutes later, Lila June will do the same. Kitty Dawg will get up to pee and then go back to bed for another hour or so before she wants breakfast. It’s a routine and my wife takes over those duties when I’m gone for work.

I have had my solar system up and running for a week. No issues! Winter will be the real test on whether I need more batteries but I think we are good. By this time next year, we will have beef, bees, chickens and goats. I figure I’m a couple years out for aquaculture but in the meantime I have perch, catfish,,bass and bullfrogs in the wild in 3 ponds and 2 creeks. Literally just inches away from not needing more income!! Lots of labor to do yet. It’s good.

Reactions: Darryle
    That sucks bad. I hate when I lose a dog. 15 is a pretty good run for a dog, sucks it happened the way it did. It's not your fault he was deaf and blind, you're the reason an old deaf blind dog was even around.
    I can’t tell you how much those words actually hit me. I can’t say thank you enough. I tell my wife all the time, and she reminds of my words, that they don’t live long enough, they are more loyal than any human and deserve to be spoiled rotten. I watch their diet, trim their nails, play/train almost every day when they’re young and less frequently with the training as they age, bathe them (they even ask for a bath about once a week). Most people think my dogs are highly trained but they aren’t compared to some of the K9’s I’ve been around. Mine are pets first and working second. They wag their tails most of the time, won’t jump on you unless you ask, will recall, sit, stay on hand signal. All the rest is just for shits and grins. I loved that dog more than most I’ve had and your words have given me some comfort. You are right. Thank you!

I have no words to ease the sorrow you feel but I have felt that same sorrow with some wonderful animals , dogs,cats, a damned parrot I had for ever. I was just blessed to have them in my life as you are, as any of us are. They have all enriched our lives in return we have made the best life for them we could hope for. None of us can predict how it ends, either 4 legged or 2 legged , the important part is how they were treated to that point,not only how they were treated but how you felt they treated you along that journey. Fucking dusty in here .

Reactions: Aftermath
    I like my dogs more than just a handful of people.....

It's never too early for a new puppy. Do it now.
    Definitely not getting another for a little while. We have one that just turned 1, one that just turned 2 and one that just turned 3. And...since moving to Oklahoma and a shortage of nearby upland fowl, I may not ever get another bird dog. I've been watching videos once in a while of guys using decoy dogs for coyotes and that is interesting to me. I gotta think about how to train for that and what sort of breed to use. The guys in the videos mostly use Mountain Curr dogs. I don't know...I'm leaning towards Airedale. But that's at least 3 years away.

Dogs are better than most people. I’m sorry man.

I ran over my neighbors dog earlier this summer, old, mostly deaf and blind corgi. He wondered in front of me, I stopped, thought he waddled off but actually was under the truck. Tried to idle away but got him. I’ve never felt like such a piece of shit in my life, I still feel terrible over it, months later.