• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Shoot or no shoot?

These are things that should be in our minds as we mindlessly drive around. You're just one road-raging asshole away from having to do this.

For those of us accustomed to navigating suburban traffic on a bicycle, we already know this because we deal with it almost daily. And yeah, I get that some rando on a bike rolled through a four-way stop at 5 MPH two weeks ago and that is apparently a permission slip for everyone on the road to run my ass over because my lawful use of the road is perceived to be some sort of grave injustice :cautious:

It is interesting to note how much more aggressive the average SUV or pickup truck driver is towards me when I'm driving the wife's Flex vs when I'm driving my 4WD E350 van. It's almost as if this sort of driver is a massive pussy who only picks on soft targets, as if they've regressed towards middle-school hallway bully behavior.

Enough pop psychology... getting back to the scenario posed at the beginning of the thread, it's pretty easy if I'm the victim of the attack - first, attempt to drive out of the situation, and then fight as a distant second option. Once someone crosses the line that separates "impeding my travel" to "violating my personal space in a fashion that puts my physical safety at risk" (this line being drawn somewhere right around opening my vehicle doors without an invitation), then it's a simple matter of applying whichever tactics will keep my family safe. Note that this does require a bit of pre-planning; if I'm stuck bumper-to-bumper with the car in front of me or otherwise boxed-in, I've eliminated my best option. But in this scenario, you've just got bikes and ATVs blocking the path. Probably can't simply drive over them like some here fantasize of doing (this ain't the movies), but demonstrating some intent at forward motion will likely get people to move.

Oh, and lock your fuckin' car doors if the car doesn't already do it for you. Bonus: in the much more likely case of a typical traffic accident, it helps to keep those doors shut, which is generally good for safety.

Stumbling upon this scenario as a 3rd party is a bit more interesting. Unlike many typical social encounters where it may not be quite so clear who is the aggressor and who is the victim, this scenario seems pretty clear. Then the question becomes: how does one best protect the woman and her child without putting one's self and the victims at risk? I mean, if a group of assailants have surrounded a motor vehicle with intent to harm the occupants, it may not be wise to simply draw a pistol and begin dispensing lead into that general direction. Rapidly driving in that direction also has the ability to make matters worse; what if I block the victim's intended escape route? This would be an interesting and challenging scenario to run in a variety of environments.

Reactions: Maggot
Well, looks like a bunch of bikers blocking the road like a bunch of dicks. One of these Darwin Award winners decided to brake check a car and got hit. Then this group of "tuff bikers" beat up a woman(edit-seems it was actually a man).

IMO all of these people were acting like morons. The bikers blocking traffic, the lady tailgating, the biker brake checking. etc.

IMO they should all be thrown into a volcano for being stupid.

Last edited:
Because of the number of assailants and threats of physical violence, I'd have run them over. If chased, I'd have tried to find law enforcement. If no other option, I'd shoot until the threat was defeated. In my state, the vehicle is an extension of your home. If someone tries to break in, while you're in the car, shoot to stop the threat.

Isn’t moving a person against their will from one place to another (pulling someone out of their car in order to beat the shit out of them) a kidnapping?
Depends. They do have another charge they use but I dont recall it.

What the DA intends to charge is irrelevant. This is in the context of using deadly force. Kidnapping is one of the several acts where you can use deadly force to stop it.

That's a state-by-state thing. Here in MI, a more pragmatic defense would probably be under the stand-your-ground law that allows use of deadly force if one has a reasonable belief that it is needed to prevent great bodily harm. Probably a good thing to hash out with one's preferred legal expert prior to going armed in public.

This reminds me, if you can is equipped

set doors to auto lock

set doors to NOT auto unlock

set car to ONLY unlock the drivers for for one tap on the unlock button.

Seen enough of these types of videos where the time a locked door would have bought, likely would have had a MAJOR change of outcome, this applies to the self prescribed alpha operators who are the danger too

That's a state-by-state thing. Here in MI, a more pragmatic defense would probably be under the stand-your-ground law that allows use of deadly force if one has a reasonable belief that it is needed to prevent great bodily harm. Probably a good thing to hash out with one's preferred legal expert prior to going armed in public.

Soooo, if a lawyer says you might be in legal trouble to use force to prevent being kidnapped/etc, you’re going to let yourself or loved ones to be kidnapped 🙃

Reactions: 308pirate
Soooo, if a lawyer says you might be in legal trouble to use force to prevent being kidnapped/etc, you’re going to let yourself or loved ones to be kidnapped 🙃

No, what I'm saying is know your state laws so that you know what to say.

For example, in some states, it's not legal to use deadly force to protect property... but it is legal to use deadly force to stop a fleeing felon. Understanding the difference between those two claims may alter the outcome of a situation. There was a story in a nearby town several years ago that involved a man's attempt at preventing the escape of some burglars that went down this legal path.

From a practical standpoint, the scenario under discussion isn't going to make a distinction between "kidnapping" and "great bodily harm". It's legal semantics. In the heat of the moment, you're fighting for your life, and hopefully your tactics reflect this.

After some research it appears RI requires the victim to attempt to retreat. In our scenario the victim, in order to retreat, must drive in reverse. So there it is.

It'd be interesting to learn if "retreat" = "reverse" from a legal perspective. Does this strictly mean "go back in the direction from which you came", or is it a general obligation to attempt to leave the situation before fighting?

Another thought - anyone know how self-defense insurance policies (USCCA, CCW Safe, etc.) would address the use of an automobile in this scenario? USCCA says something about "use of any legal weapons". Looking forward to some insurance underwriter attempting to weasel his way out of coverage because I'm over the state bumper height limit by 1/16" :rolleyes:

Note: in case any lawyers or underwriters are reading this, I'm presenting a hypothetical - I'm actual well under the limit by as much as several sixteenths

Many, many years ago I was lost in OKC and trying to find my way out of this industrial area in the middle of the night. I drove a Toyota FJ40 with an aftermarket soft top. The doors didn't lock. I pull up to a stop sign and wait for this Democrat to cross the street. He came over and opened the passenger door and started to step in. I drew my 1911A1 National Match and said, "Get in." Now, to this day, I don't know why I had presence of mind to tell this Democrat to get in. I can tell you that I could all of a sudden see his eyes. The fucker wasn't polite enough to get the door closed before he ran back down the road in the direction I had just come.
If I were in the situation presented by the OP, I'd have used reverse and crank and I would not have been trying to move slow enough for the Democrats to get out of the way. Fuck them. If they are hanging on, I find an inanimate object and rely on my comprehensive and deductible. If they use a weapon to break a window, I use a weapon to provide body piercings for fear of the lives of my children and myself.

It'd be interesting to learn if "retreat" = "reverse" from a legal perspective. Does this strictly mean "go back in the direction from which you came", or is it a general obligation to attempt to leave the situation before fighting?

I think it is the latter. But if you’re surrounded, where are you supposed to retreat?

Second, are you expected to to reasonably ascertain your attacker’s intent (whether to kill you, or merely beat you up a little) while he and a dozen accomplices are pulling you out of the car?

Fear of harm or death. Breaking your finger nail is harm. Fear of breaking a finger nail is sufficient.
I think it is the latter. But if you’re surrounded, where are you supposed to retreat?

Second, are you expected to to reasonably ascertain your attacker’s intent (whether to kill you, or merely beat you up a little) while he and a dozen accomplices are pulling you out of the car?
Y'all need to quit the quibble over the definition of "is".
Do what you need to and shut up.
If no one is around... SSS!

It seems that intentions have been made quite clear once the mob's hands breech the vehicle's interior.

Its as simple as this, you will be judged by the totality of circumstances. Listen to a wise man named Masad Ayoob, he has some good judicial in site on this type of mob violence.
And if you mowed the perps down you will most likely be painted as the aggressor and loose the farm and your freedom.

As soon as one goes for the door handle, I tell the kid to lay on the floor, put in 4 and hit the gas.

Screen-Shot-2020-07-31-at-10.18.45-PM.jpg

Yank the door open to my vehicle in an aggressive manner and reach inside and I consider it no different than a home invasion. I will shoot.
In Ohio they are legally the same exact thing. Not only there is no duty to retreat from you home or vehicle, the OH Revised Code has a built in presumption of intent to inflict death or serious bodily injury against whoever attempts to illegally enter your home (legally place of abode, so not just your house) or vehicle.

Notice I said "attempts", that's no casual wording. That's right from the ORC which means the obvious: you don't have to wait until the intrusion is completed.

Reactions: BLEE
Keep in mind that you, the shooter, would probably be the one being arrested in this state. No way does Rhode Island have a 'stand your ground' rule and this is clearly outside of a person's house anyway. In this case, you, the shooter, are in a 3000 lb vehicle vs a bunch of kids on dirt bikes.

Like others have said, I would be on the accelerator before I was grabbing a firearm. I would be heading towards the closest police station (hopefully I know where that is). If they tracked me down on and somehow disabled my vehicle, then the rules of engagement have changed in favor of the firearm.
which is why she needs to now sue the state for their inability to keep the roads free and clear and her inability to defend herself appropriately. Lawsuits are the only thing that fixes this without people literally marching on town hall

But in this scenario, you've just got bikes and ATVs blocking the path. Probably can't simply drive over them like some here fantasize of doing (this ain't the movies), but demonstrating some intent at forward motion will likely get people to move.

In this scenario things have escalated into deadly force and I guess it's time to find out how many bikers will have the guts to stick around after seeing some of their accomplices crumple to the ground.

These altercations also are why I no longer carry a revolver for self defense except in very limited circumstances and why I don't own any handguns with less than 15 rounds in the magazine.

In fact, concealing a Glock 17 with a 22 round magazine and an SRO is stupid easy AIWB in a Tenicor Velo holster.

Reactions: camocorvette
unbelievable video watching them stand around, videoing this. just unreal but again, liberal loon state and city

with a kid in the car, she should have just hit the gas

Its as simple as this, you will be judged by the totality of circumstances. Listen to a wise man named Masad Ayoob, he has some good judicial in site on this type of mob violence.
And if you mowed the perps down you will most likely be painted as the aggressor and loose the farm and your freedom.
Only, if you live in a state that protects the criminal. In Louisiana, those jokers would be justifiably, door nail dead.

Reactions: RUTGERS95

Upstanding looking Asian family in NYC being attacked by the same demographic that seems to always target Asians, that would be a big not guilty for the rover from me.

Lol at hommie the clown saying “we were just going over there to help him” yeah, guess they noticed his tires had too much air and his windows weren’t broken enough…

They started shit in their 400lb bikes with a 5,200lb AWD truck, fucked around and found out. Too bad that mother crying didn’t raise her kid right, probably wouldn’t be in that situation. I hope the funds from all their fast food paychecks or well-fair checks goes to the Asian family for damages.

Good god liberal cities are breeding grounds of that shit

Reactions: 308pirate and BLEE
Survey says???

You can tell he’s a kind gentle man from the pillow he has for his arm 😂

But the fabric upholstery, cheap pistol, and linguistic issues have me leaving towards guilty, also interesting shooting style, close your eyes a curl into a fat ball when you start letting er’ rip reminds me of

But not enough footage on that one for me to have any opinion, other than know what’s beyond your target, though cops have shot off the same reckless manner and no one bats a eye so 🤷

Last edited: