• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Shooting Benchrest recommendation

rickp

Sergeant
Minuteman
As part of me possibly getting back into reloading I'm looking at what I might need to successfully complete a ladder test.

I don't know if I really need a shooting bench rest to do it but I figured it might be a lot more accurate and eliminate shooter error. So Im looking for a good one. I don't need top of the line, but one that will do the job well.
So what do you guys recommend?

Re: Shooting Benchrest recommendation

Cheap works.
I shot for years off a bench with a stack of shot bags filled with sand.
3-4 in the front and one floppy one in the rear.
The top bag in the pile should be somewhat soft so you can squish a channel for your for end into it.
Take out your swivel studs so that the rifle recoils smoothly without a bump, it will show in your groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rickp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So what do you guys recommend? </div></div>

Bipod, rear bag, and sling.....prone of course.

Adding a specific question: if you use a bipod and rear squeeze bag, and a semiauto 308, do you preload the bipod forward against a ridge via moderate and consistent shoulder push, or betetr to go for free recoil?

Jim G

Build you one and you will always have it if needed. I built this one for about 75.00 and my time. It is solid as a rock.

000_0010.jpg

000_0014.jpg

The legs just screw into pipe couplings that are welded to a flat piece of metal. It is 1.25" pipe with caps screwed on the other end to keep dirt from getting in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimGnitecki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Adding a specific question: if you use a bipod and rear squeeze bag, and a semiauto 308, do you preload the bipod forward against a ridge via moderate and consistent shoulder push, or betetr to go for free recoil?

Jim G </div></div>

Free recoil will affect your impact, you need to support the back of the rifle.

I can get free recoil to work well in 223/5.56*45.
I cannot get fre recoil to work well in 308--there is just to much mass being accelerated.

At the bench, I like to hold the 308 with about 2 pounds into the shoulder and about 1.5 pounds down into the front rest.