• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Shooting copper after lead

Awesymoto

Awesymoto outdoors
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2011
Eye da hoe
sites.google.com
Has anybody put some real time behind copper monos and noticing a barrel wont group well or keeps having POA/POI shifts if you fired traditional lead jacketed bullets first? I saw a thing on youtube *backfiretv* and ron spomer TV, both talking about this, and have noticed the same trend.

Ive shot around 3-400 rounds of hornady CX bullets & Barnes TTSX for hunting season, and was having some wacky POA/POI shifts. Groups would be around 1.5 MOA then random outings the rifle would hammer, sub 1/2 MOA, shot a 4” group at 1040yards with the 190CX in 300PRC. I could not for the life of me figure out why things were so inconsistent. I was having issues with vertical POA/POI shifts as well as horizontal and thought it was my technique, rifle, loose screws, etc, would go back to 225ELDM reloads trying to save some coppers (i train with 225ELDMs for cheaper cost) and the issue would go away, then back to factory 190CX ammo or reloads with copper and i’d shoot a 5 round group re-zero and my next group would be like .3 mills or more off. Go home, clean, back to zeroing and I’d be chasing a wandering zero for days. I thought something on my rifle broke, changed the optic, even re-barreled it with another proof barrel.

It seemed the barrel just would never settle down. My reloads would shoot fine with ELDMs, and some days the coppers did okay but others it shot like crap. That’s when I saw an episode on Youtube of backfire tv shooting coppers fine, shot lead fine, then back to coppers and shot like 5 groups or something and it all shot like crap.

A lightbulb went off in my head, I cleaned my barrels down to bare steel, and shot again. Huge vertical (3MOA) while the rifle fouled in 6-9 rounds. then it kept POA / POI over 3 different days, cold bore at 600 grouped .7 MOA and POA/POI was perfect.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Yes, I shoot Badlands 135's and Berger 153.5's in 6.5 Sherman Max - I now have 2 separate rifles because I needed to burn 6 rounds of copper to foul a freshly cleaned barrel.

Reactions: Awesymoto
Yes, I shoot Badlands 135's and Berger 153.5's in 6.5 Sherman Max - I now have 2 separate rifles because I needed to burn 6 rounds of copper to foul a freshly cleaned barrel.
thank you for the data point. Interestingly I saw this shooting Hornady 225’s and switching to a known good reload to burn up 10 or so loaded rounds and couldn’t figure out why the Bergers were grouping 2MOA. I speculate that Berger uses 100% or very close to jackets in their J4’s compared to the obvious gilding metal used in Hornady stuff.

thank you for the data point. Interestingly I saw this shooting Hornady 225’s and switching to a known good reload to burn up 10 or so loaded rounds and couldn’t figure out why the Bergers were grouping 2MOA. I speculate that Berger uses 100% or very close to jackets in their J4’s compared to the obvious gilding metal used in Hornady stuff.

I run the 220 lrht's as well as the 225 eldm's in 300 rum and winmag and had a similar hypothesis re: jacketing. Berger to Hornady seems fine, but Hornady to Berger needs to lay more copper before they settle in.

While I’d usually take anything seen on “Backfire” or uttered by Ron Sooner with a heaping helping of salt, Barnes bullets recommends thoroughly cleaning a barrel before shooting their copper bullets.