• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

shooting lead through hunting gun for targeting

*greenhorn*

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
Daytona, Fl
my uncle bought me a mold for me to make 30-06 bullets, he does this every once and wile for my hand guns,but this time for my lever action, i have no problem putting them through my marlin, but could i check muzzle vloss with these as well?? or would the imperfections possibly give me bad readings after 200 yrds?

Re: shooting lead through hunting gun for targeting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> but could i check muzzle vloss with these as well?? </div></div>
If your talking about a chronograph then sure, you can check the velocity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">or would the imperfections possibly give me bad readings after 200 yrds? </div></div>

Why would that happen?

well, just my head thinking but todays bullets are well dressed off copper smooth and crisp for the most part. lead non jacketed bullets tend, now depending on the mold, but most have imperfections, say the line where the 2 halves of the mold meet),this i would think have drag and at 100-200 yrds my not come in to play, but at 800 yards my affect accuracy and (this is where my question on muzzle vlos. comes in) and vlossity

If I'm reading your questions right, you are asking if you use gas checked lead bullets, will your accuracy degrade (due to the lead) and if your velocity be reduced? If that's all correct...

I've yet to use lead bullets in a rifle; however, I've been told that you have to reduce your velocity when using lead bullets to keep from instantly leading your barrel and to keep the bullets from being pushed past the rifling rather than following it. Check your reloading manual for the listed lead loads; at least my Lyman 48th edition manual has cast loads.

Most advanced casters are able to keep the consistency of their projectiles close enough for good accuracy, just usually not match accuracy.

I'd check this place out for cast bullet questions: Click Here

yep that's it thank you, ive decided to just use the lead in 30-06 and 30-30 hunting rifle no sense in sending them through nail driver

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chuck1974</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How fast can you push lead bullets before they start messing up the barrel? </div></div>

i don't know but not 1st time ive heard that pm Franky im sure he knows but i do know it depends on caliber and metal urgey of the lead

You folks need to go to the website of "Cast Bullet Association.com." ... they have a lot of information on this subject. Depending upon the hardness and lubes...cast bullets can match jacketed...but it takes a LOT more work and attention to detail. 100 to 200 is mostly easy. 800...gonna be a lot of work. JMHO