• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Advanced Marksmanship Shooting Mental Program.

Grog11

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2018
Anthem, Arizona
I’m getting way into Lanny Basham lately. I’m reading “With Winning in Mind” for the second time. His main thing is running a mental program when you’re doing whatever sport it is that you do (obviously shooting, here). It’s different for everyone and usually involves set thoughts for preparation and also while actually shooting so you can focus and let your subconscious mind take over the task of actually shooting the shot (to become more consistent under pressure).

Is anyone here willing to chime in with what they think about while running a stage or shooting a shot? Mental check lists for every shot? Visualization? Verbal reinforcement?

I’m attempting to build one based around the following:

After running a mental check list for making sure my turrets are dialed and checking for wind, i’ll Get into position, close my bolt, then visualize breaking a clean shot with the sight picture I want, take a breath, exhale, then squeeze to break the actual shot. Also repeating the word “impact” while squeezing for a shot to keep my mind occupied so as to not become distracted.

I know all that will sound pretty stupid to some people, but is anyone else running a mental program, or trying to start one?

It doesn't sound stupid at all. I'm at the far other end of my shooting career from your end. I've hung up my serious competitive shooting shoes as of this year.

My mind has a groove when I'm shooting for score. It's following a basic mantra/sequence of steps to constructing and releasing the shot.

Position the round halfway into the chamber (this prevents chamber heat from cooking the cartridge as fast), settle into NPA with sights aligned on target, pop head up for the wind read, choose your moment in the wind sequence while starting your deep breathing, back down onto the scope, make your POA estimate, close bolt, natural pause, release it.

Stay ontarget for the hit while breathing deep and relaxing, record score and plot, note your error, then begin again.

I use a sling/bipod method that uses body weight to hold the rifle down against the hop. This allows a better chance for observing impact.

Eliminate any doubt from your thinking. If you can't believe you can win, you become your own worst opponent.

Train harder (I use smaller targets) than you compete, that way comp is easier than the rest of what you do.

Greg

It's not stupid at all, do some looking on trapshooting pages and you will see how much the mental game plays into shooting. I don't have the mindset to shoot it anymore, I just can't focus well enough to be competitive.

@Grog11 I've read With Winning in Mind multiple times and have followed his steps outlined in the book. They help a lot. I have a pre- and post-shot checklist that covers all the equipment stuff, but also includes "what did I do right?" and "how can I improve a shot." Dry fire practice is a great time to actually verbalize your visualization steps, especially if you're using props to practice on. I've said my steps so many times in dry fire that I hear them in my head before I shoot, while I shoot, and after I'm done.

ive listened to some of the Basham stuff.....not my cup of tea.....always reminded me too much of a self help tape.

but mindset is key.

the difference between top shooters, and those on the bottom.......its not equipment, its not technique........its mindset, and its experience.

you have to shoot a match on a hot 100* day......you have to shoot a match in the pouring rain.......well if you come out bitching and moaning about how "im not gonna shoot well in these conditions".......you are 100% right

but its not the conditions fault, its your fault for setting yourself up to fail before you even started.

theres a saying "whether you think you can, or you cant.....youre right"

my coach used to tell me "shooting a match is easy, you are just doing the same thing 60 times........doing the same thing exactly the same way 60 times is whats hard"

theres no voodoo to setting up a routine.......just start shooting, and you will develop one overtime that fits you.

Reactions: Grog11
Once you have your mental checklist, its great to incorporate the entire routine into a dry firing exercise at home to also reinforce it into your muscle memory. Last year my Ftr scores were subpar for several reasons. This year the rain was abysmal for several weeks before the first match, so I did mainly dry fire practice during that time. Included movements to simulate loading, etc, basically all the steps. In a bedroom my scope was pointed on a blank wall, and with no visual focus the attention to comfort and position only revealed numerous points to fine tune. Result is back to consistent HM scores with less shooting, due to a well choreographed routine. So yes to your question but don't limit to mental routine only, dry fire is an expanded way to incorporate the principles.

Reactions: Grog11 and LH_Gina