• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Shooting some M45A1 and other .45 ACP

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    I decided on some .45 shooting comparing the four flavors of pistol I own that chamber that cartridge. Im no pro pistol shot but hope to be good enough if I need to be....

First up the M45A1 CQB we have talked about here. It was new in the box 200 rounds ago. Maybe Ill take the box and shoot it as its an appropriately sized target and Im tired of hearing how these are going to appreciate and what an investment it is. I appreciate it the way it should be appreciated - by shooting it (but if I had cash to squirrel one away......)
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/P5097407_zpsob9ng1g3.jpg"}[/IMG2]

About 13 yards to the man in black....
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/P5097406_zpsfd1ufcoo.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Two hands steady rate of fire....bang, bang, bang, bang........ [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/P5097409_zpsmkuqjagx.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I think all military guns should be parkerized carbon steel with the expectation of a little TLC but Cerakote was great for getting me some USMC history....
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/P5097410_zps0vbw9dho.jpg"}[/IMG2]
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/P5097411_zpscpakfkl6.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
    Nothing wrong with that homeslice! Those are basically all either lethal or incapacitating. Couple of liver shots there. But they'll bleed 'im out.

I was down in your neck of the woods today (well, Swampscott....) The level of retardedness is rather epic. I assume that those coasties are drinking their water out of lead pipes and, probably, chewing the lead-paint windowsills of their houses? Because... wow. Just wow.

At least I didn't see Jodie Foster prostate on a pool table. Oh, wait... that's Gloucester.

We need to get together and shoot sometime soon!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Nothing wrong with that homeslice! Those are basically all either lethal or incapacitating. Couple of liver shots there. But they'll bleed 'im out.

I was down in your neck of the woods today (well, Swampscott....) The level of retardedness is rather epic. I assume that those coasties are drinking their water out of lead pipes and, probably, chewing the lead-paint windowsills of their houses? Because... wow. Just wow.

At least I didn't see Jodie Foster prostate on a pool table. Oh, wait... that's Gloucester.

We need to get together and shoot sometime soon!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Jodie foster played herself based on an incident down Fall River/New Bedford way. Those spawn of the whaling fleet were looking for the mighty sperm whale.

Swampscott is the refuge of our illustrious governor we call "Tall Deval" in reference to our previous governor that wrote Obamas speeches. They are the same guy despite the differences in political affiliation and any other reference to their two physical differences would be inappropriate.

I used to live in Clinton. Loved being outside 495. It was a great blue-collar town with a Gillette plant. And an Irish pub. And the best barbershop in Ma. He knew what a "High and Tight" was.

The PD Sgt there had an old Ford that I maintained for him. So my 'permit' said I could have everything up to and including a Stinger.

Mass is two different states. When I was there... it was Mass inside 128 and Mass outside 128. Today... 495 is the boundary line. Outside 495... Ma is like Wyoming or Montana. Great people and true 2a Support. East of that... Fucktardedness at a level of epic it's hard to describe. The Good Americans in that swath are, simply, stuck like the Maquis inside Nazi France.

Well, enough of my blather. Swampscott should be addressed with a small nuclear device. America would be a better place if it were a glass-topped oceanside parking lot.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Hilarious!!!! Love the regional discussion. When you called me, (PMclaine), and thank you for the clue on these, I thought you were my patrol LT. I can't remember what town he was from but just outside of Boston. We always ask him how he got to wherever he was, and he always responds, "C'mon mush, I drove ma CAH!".

Nice shootin' pmc. Love the gunsmoke on the lockback pic!

MA was one of those states I only spent a short time in, Ft. Devens to be exact, when the 10th SF was there, Pretty much nothing more than a BTDT, got the T-shirt visit. Outgrew it and can't find it anymore.

As far as regional, I've lived in NV and watched CA spill over the hill and bring their stupid laws. Now, NV my home state, is not near as "pro-gun" as people would like to think. Id and Montana are thriving communities of 2A rights, though. I had to laugh too as in ID, I've been lectured more than once on NOT having a suppressor. And, NOT updating my CC to the ID enhanced. Which is a good idea.

I escaped from NY in '91, when I went into the Army. When you get sick of the commies fuckers trying to take away not just your 2A rights, but basiclly all of them, come on down to TN. We are starting to see in influx of dumb ass libs from around the DC area into east TN, and we need to balance it back out. The Smoke mountains is a Beautiful place to live and though I don't bear hunt, we have bear, whitetail AND a small draw only Elk season now.

No state income tax. Gas is $2.00. Concealed carry w/reciprocity to 42 other states. Beautiful lands, and mild winters with deciduous forests. Cars last forever. AND we have two 1000 yard KD ranges and a handful of 600 yard ranges, with a couple private ranges going from 1250 to I think 2000 yards.

There isn't anyone here publicly screaming "you don't need 10 bullets to kill a Deeeeer". ;)

we need as many of those 1911s in TN as possible, and if I can't own them then ya'll are just gonna have to move.

Last edited:
    Nice shootin' pmc. Love the gunsmoke on the lockback pic!

MA was one of those states I only spent a short time in, Ft. Devens to be exact, when the 10th SF was there, Pretty much nothing more than a BTDT, got the T-shirt visit. Outgrew it and can't find it anymore.

Im a member of Devens Rifle and Pistol club. I try to shoot Golf Range as often as I can, which is about once or twice a year. I really like that area, rolling hills, lots of apple orchards, criss crossed with rivers and dotted with lakes separated by meadows.

I buy coffee just about every work morning at the Rapid Refill in the former base area, Jackson Road by the old pre WWII Battalion Aid Station. Lots of changes there.

I escaped from NY in '91, when I went into the Army. When you get sick of the commies fuckers trying to take away not just your 2A rights, but basiclly all of them, come on down to TN. We are starting to see in influx of dumb ass libs from around the DC area into east TN, and we need to balance it back out. The Smoke mountains is a Beautiful place to live and though I don't bear hunt, we have bear, whitetail AND a small draw only Elk season now.

No state income tax. Gas is $2.00. Concealed carry w/reciprocity to 42 other states. Beautiful lands, and mild winters with deciduous forests. Cars last forever. AND we have two 1000 yard KD ranges and a handful of 600 yard ranges, with a couple private ranges going from 1250 to I think 2000 yards.

There isn't anyone here publicly screaming "you don't need 10 bullets to kill a Deeeeer". ;)

we need as many of those 1911s in TN as possible, and if I can't own them then ya'll are just gonna have to move.

Sounds nice. Do you think you guys might build an ocean so my wife might accompany me in 15 years when I retire?

Sounds nice. Do you think you guys might build an ocean so my wife might accompany me in 15 years when I retire?

Oceans have a tendency to attract "Whoooohoo" bitches and I'm rapidly approaching the age that I can't stand to listen to a women under the age of 35 or so.... We have some nice Lakes, but you're gonna see the othere side AND no taint itch from Salt, so ...... :) Who knows, maybe a wind farm will ruin the view and bring her around to the idea?

AND no taint itch from Salt, so ...... :) Who knows, maybe a wind farm will ruin the view and bring her around to the idea?

The "taint itch" isn't from the salt......

Its from the millions of larval ocean carnivores eating the little pieces of unwiped ass and dead skin cells from your living body.

The sea of life is like a living loofa.

Im not a salad tosser but if I were a three hour ocean soak in warm Atlantic waters would be a pre-requisite.

Keep that gem in your tool box for future reference and you have my permission to share.

A 70BS Combat Commander, put on some 01918 parts to give it some GI chic and added sights that can actually be seen....

Same distance. Its time for the range to change the back stop blocks. in the mean time targets have to be hung Gary Coleman high....

First mag was low 5 rounds in the 8 ring, 2 in the 9 ring. I adjusted and held sternum 8 ring after that....

Im not a salad tosser but if I were a three hour ocean soak in warm Atlantic waters would be a pre-requisite.

Keep that gem in your tool box for future reference and you have my permission to share.

that's some funny shit right there.

Sand,

If you think TTS is disgusting, DO NOT look of "shrimpin'" :eek:

it's no wonder we are declining at a free fall... and I have just contributed. Fuck it, I'm going down fighting.

Sand,

it's no wonder we are declining at a free fall... and I have just contributed. Fuck it, I'm going down fighting.

I say jackass things now just to gain some measure of liberation from all the daily censoring that seems to be going on.

Its like Obama with guns....the more he tried to restrict, the more people bought.

Yes, I get some satisfaction in "going down fighting"........

Sand,

That is some funny shit! Funny now at least. I grew up on a dairy farm and if you want disgusting, I can tell you disgusting. And, what wasn't disgusting to me is mostly disgusting to everyone I meet....like AI'ing.

Now, I gotta look up "shrimpin", cause it's probable funny as hell too!:eek::D...another one...snowballin'

Todays effort...

1968 LW Colt Commander. I have about 200 rounds on this gun. Its condition is about NIB without the B. It has some problems. The most distressing is that 2 of 7 rounds will eject into your face. One hit with the sharp side of a .45 trash can cutting a scallop steak out of my face gets me flinching like Michael J. ....disregard....anyway it needs to be fixed and Im standing by with my ceramic stone waiting to find out how.....The other problem being the tiny sights registering left.
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/P5107417_zpsxntokwqy.jpg"}[/IMG2]

These guys keep coming to the party...

First magazine had 5 of 7 left in the 8 ring, 2 rounds in the 9 ring. I aimed right trying to find the 9/8 line. Nature has left me with a choice. Shoot with glasses and see a clear target, shoot without glasses and see a clear front sight post. My hold on the invisible 8/9 line needs work....
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/P5107421_zpsjs1ntews.jpg"}[/IMG2]
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/P5107419_zpstsadnnxl.jpg"}[/IMG2]
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/P5107420_zpstnvstjz9.jpg"}[/IMG2]

This pistol was in such great condition, being a birth year gun, I am hesitant to change it but.....I have a dealer looking to see if he can get me the O1918 GI safety, mag release and slide stop to make this gun an aluminum twin to the steel Combat Commander. The heavy has a Smith and Alexander 25LPI arched MSH with lanyard loop. They are easy enough to come by. The slide has that nice retarded plum colored bluing the Age of Aquarius guns seem to have I don't really want to change that bluing but a set of MEUSOC Mod O PWS sights front and rear would be nice. Unsure if the front will install without requiring a reblue though.

Last edited:
    Those are still mostly kill shots pm! As far as flipping cases at you, it's one of three things: inconsistent rounds, weak slide spring or inconsistent hold. On the last part, don't take offense. I've seen a lot of people do the same thing with smooth grips. It seems like you've got it but any slippage in the hand and the pistol goes through malfunction junction.
    I had a Springfield that had original hard plastic grips. If I sweated any, that thing would slip. I changed to some slimline walnut burl w/checkering and the problem went away. In fact I used that pistol for my CC qual. All X's.

It's your extractor angle! Touch with a stone could fix. Jeff

Extractor or ejector?

I get the two parts work in unison but I'm assuming either an angle on the ejector or it's length would determine which direction the brass goes.

It makes sense I guess the face of the extractor hook inside the rim needs to release properly when the brass hits the ejector to determine direction of tossing the brass.

The M45A1 ejects nicely 90 degrees to my right a good six feet away. The steel Commander is generally 90 degrees right. The lightweight is a few straight back over my head, a few in my face and a few at 1700.

Sand - I should probably change the slide spring for S&G/good practice just haven't done it cause the gun has no wear

It's the release angle of the extractor. I've done a few 1911 armorers courses but far from expert. I had a Colt Defender that T-zoned me with cases every other round. Colt re-did the extractor on that one as well. Jeff

I was stationed at Deven's when I came back from Vietnam, 68-69. What I remember most about Mass was they hated GIs for the most part. I was in the 67th MP Company. Of course we had the old rattily M1911a1s. I never could understand people saying they couldn't shoot. I shot expert every time I had to qualify with one.

Never held on until MP school at FT Gordon in '66. We fired a practice qualification course first thing to see who needed coaching and who didn't. I shot expert, and they counted it so I spent the rest of the range time on detail. Pissed me off, I liked the little gun.

Any way, this is what a 1911 is suppose to look like.

USSC%201911%20Slide%202.JPG

The Series 70 Gold Cup aint bad either. Hell on Bowling Pins

Colt%201911.jpg

When I was in Germany in '84 in a maintenance company we had some tankers bring in their 1911's for service. This is when armor recently received M1 (not A1) Abrams and were still using 1911 and M3 grease guns. One of the pistols that came in caught the eye of our warrant officer. He had some flavor of book with build dates. The pistol is question was still serviceable and had been built in 1918. I don't think we'll see another service pistol with this longevity.

Another flavor...

Brand new target backstop. I helped the crew sweep and leave. Virgin rubber. The man in black has gotten taller....

First mag of seven, keeping things on par, had me printing left in the 8 and nine ring. I held at the 9/8 ring line right for the rest of the shots. The rear sight on the M&P is so wide that it covered the printed numbers I was using as a reference line for elevation.....

Its a good gun, I just have no love for it yet I probably shoot it better than the others. Ive got to change that mindset, hits matter not love.

I think Ill add some .38 special to this game. I have a few vintage .38's. Do you guys like .38s?

I have kicked myself for years about Pythons.... Back in the late '80s.. "I'll never pay $700 for a revolver...."

In the 90s "I'll never pay 900 for a revolver...."

In the 2000's... "I'll never pay $1200 for a revolver....."

One of these days, I'll have a Python. But, damn... I look at so many missed opportunities that I should own twenty of them right now.

Then again, I could have bought a nice Type 57 Bugatti for $30,000 at one point.

This is why I tell folks... don't hesitate. You regret the things you didn't do, far more than the things you did do.

It's a rule for living.

Cheers,

Sirhr

The day I bought my first new 1911, back 1991 or so, my friend picked up a used 6 inch Python. Think we paid about the same, maybe him a little less. I remember at the time feeling like I was showing off in front of my friend buying a new gun, a semi, while he was only buying a used revolver.

I sold that 1911 and miss it every time I open the safe but my friend gave the Python to his father because the old man liked it so much.

I will have a Python someday and 3-4 inch barrel would be ideal.

When I first saw this gun under glass I said "Hey Joe let me check out that 39-2, please."

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/P5157430_zpsvax7ha49.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Than I shut my mouth and received an education on what a 52-2 is. The next words out of my mouth were "Ill take it!". This gun is made by magical gnomes in the underworld.

There he is again. I almost felt bad for him because I knew what type of hell was about to rain down upon him. I let him know it would be quick and merciful though.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/P5157431_zps7vp7p1vn.jpg"}[/IMG2]

The people at my club shoot a bit Id say......

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/P5157432_zpsh2fpcqdl.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I swear I shot this, I didnt pay someone to do it. I also think I speak in tongues and lightening emits from my body like some sort of Tesla coil........its the magic in the gun.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/P5157433_zpsw1uhsmqt.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I should have taken head shots so that I could use this target on my next shoot. The smaller aiming point of the head would have tightened my shooting some. When I shoot 4 inch circles with the 52-2 it makes one hole. I did that once after brand new blocks were installed, the wadcutters ate a 2 inch hole into the rubber.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/P5157434_zps8dp3dmo2.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/P5157436_zpsmzcsdbfl.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
    Very nice pistols! I love that Smith 52! I have owned a few decent 1911s over the years, Wilson's, Bear, Kimber (old Kimber not a new gun), and several Colts. But the odd thing is I had a 1991A1 that I liked better than any of them, and it would hold its own at combat distance. I miss that pistol.

I am in Mass right now, Milford actually. I am not so much of a fan of it down here... I have been living in Maine for the last 15.5 years and don't mind that too much (except for the damn cold!). I grew up in North Georgia and all my family is from Tennessee, quite a bit different here in Mass.

Very nice pistols! I love that Smith 52! I have owned a few decent 1911s over the years, Wilson's, Bear, Kimber (old Kimber not a new gun), and several Colts. But the odd thing is I had a 1991A1 that I liked better than any of them, and it would hold its own at combat distance. I miss that pistol.

I am in Mass right now, Milford actually. I am not so much of a fan of it down here... I have been living in Maine for the last 15.5 years and don't mind that too much (except for the damn cold!). I grew up in North Georgia and all my family is from Tennessee, quite a bit different here in Mass.

Yes MA can seem kind of "cold" or "unwelcoming" when you come from some more normal places. We put our noses in the air pretty high.

I was working the Milford area yesterday. Typically I hang a bit further North. My rifle club is about 15-20 miles north of you at the juncture of 495/2. I shoot most weekend afternoons and you are welcome to come along. I have shot Garand matches at Massapennock Rod and Gun down your way. Nice club.

Most of the people are decent that I meet here, its just so crowded! Thank you for the offer to go shoot, I would love to take you up on it but unfortunately I am a bit time limited on this trip. If you ever come to Maine please give me a shout.

Todays contestant......

As close as Ill get to Patton's "Killing Gun". Not a Registered Magnum but a 27-2. Its as fine a piece of gun metal as can be carried. Its a beast.

and it shoots....

Two hands, full double action. The trigger rolls.

Checkered top strap...

Barrel is pinned and cylinders are recessed....

Sweet revolver.