• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Shooting some M45A1 and other .45 ACP

Me? I spent a hell of a lot of time in Dadlonega, & my brother went to NGCSU (I should have but I went straight into the Corps). My home town is Ringgold GA. I sure do miss it down there!

Being a Ranger, Dahlonega is a given in your pathway through the military. It was nice for me as I appreciate mountains. On the other hand it was a bit unusual for me, as when I got to the top of one I was used to seeing for miles. Not, seeing out through trees was an adjustment for me. I grew in N. Nevada. But, I did have a lot of fun there. And I did have me a Yonah burger. Sadly, I heard they shut down.

I had a lot of friends go threw Ranger school including my brother, as a Marine it (it being going threw Ranger school and then spending time in a Battalion) was one of the things I regret not doing while in the military. I have so much respect for Rangers, SF, and CAG guys, I have friends who went threw the whole process & one of my early life mentors was a Green Beret through 2 tours in Vietnam and beyond. RLTW!

Revolvers? Now we're talking.

I was issued this Model 28 when I hired on at APD in 1974, they gave me the gun when I retired.

Model%2028.JPG

I took it to the range last night and discovered it still shoots. 18 rounds before I had to quit, those hot loads started bringing down the florescent lights. But it still shoots.

Model%2028.jpg

Real cops carry revolvers.

When people ask "What should I get for a first pistol" I always recommend a revolver. Same for guys that say they are getting some micro semi for concealed carry - why not just get a vintage J Model S&W?

There really is no manual of arms beyond pull the trigger and it goes bang. If it doesn't proceed to step one and try again.

There are really great deals out there on used revolvers. New revolvers are junk compared to some of these night stand only guns that I see in the shops. 20-30 year old S&Ws built by artisans that people turn their nose up on because they are not the latest space age material.

The 27-2 was my step fathers that came to me on his passing. I usually only shoot mid range .38s that I have loaded for the 52-2. Fill it up with .357 though and I think its capable, if huge, for anything I would want it to do, the most concerning walking around on land in western MA where a bear may want the food in my pack.

Last edited:
When people ask "What should I get for a first pistol" I always recommend a revolver. Same for guys that say they are getting some micro semi for concealed carry - why not just get a vintage J Model S&W?

There really is no manual of arms beyond pull the trigger and it goes bang. If it doesn't proceed to step one and try again.

There are really great deals out there on used revolvers. New revolvers are junk compared to some of these night stand only guns that I see in the shops. 20-30 year old S&Ws built by artisans that people turn their nose up on because they are not the latest space age material.

The 27-2 was my step fathers that came to me on his passing. I usually only shoot mid range .38s that I have loaded for the 52-2. Fill it up with .357 though and I think its capable, if huge, for anything I would want it to do, the most concerning walking around on land in western MA where a bear may want the food in my pack.

That is sage advice. Although, as mentioned previously, I "grew up" on semi-autos. Although, I did shoot a few wheel guns before I went in the service. I tended to turn my nose up at them out of ignorance rather than a factual base of knowlege. Many of my friends owned revolvers in the service (hidden in the barracks ceiling) and we'd go out and shoot them into a ditchbank or something. We should've gone to the rec range and actually seen how they shot.

In regular field time, we shot the hell out of .22's, 9mm Hi-powers and .45's. We carried a lot of the older WWII, Korean era, and VietNam Era .45's. Rumor had it that there were one or two .45's in Bn somewhere, that dated back to WWI. I don't remember any .45's that didn't rattle when brought out. We had two of each that were suppressor capable in our arms room. All in all though, very little training on revolvers. Even though the aviation guys carried them.

In boot camp I fam fired a .45. In the Fleet it was Berettas, not that I ever carried one. On MSG Duty we trained and qualified with Smith and Wesson Model 19s. It was good training where I learned a little about staging a trigger and coming to terms with wobble. Great guns.

Whats that you say? J Model...

I cut me a break and took out my angst at 7 yards....

and it hits good. Perhaps a little low...

Shooter gets a little lead poisoning also...

Great little gun. You can keep all the scandium or airweight guns that come along. Ill take steel when it comes to little guns.

Revolvers? Now we're talking.

I was issued this Model 28 when I hired on at APD in 1974, they gave me the gun when I retired.

Model%2028.JPG

I took it to the range last night and discovered it still shoots. 18 rounds before I had to quit, those hot loads started bringing down the florescent lights. But it still shoots.

Model%2028.jpg

Real cops carry revolvers.

Anchorage in the mid- to late-70's... with the pipeline starting up... for an LE, that must have been like the Wild West up there. Dodge city with ice. I have heard some stories... But none from the PD side of things. But it was supposed to be pretty crazy up there during those years.

Cheers,

Sirhr

and....

A Colt Police Positive in .38 special. This gun is effete, delicate, Art Deco, elegant. The grip is feminine in its size. The muzzle flips even with my powder puff 52-2 loads. Perhaps my grip is feminine.

The criminal was at 13 yards. I had to stifle a huge urge to shoot this one handed, left hand in pocket, bladed to the target with non dominant eye closed...

I was shooting low so I held his sternum. The trigger rolls sweet to the stage but the final pull is a bit heavy. I think this gun has seen little use. It was an issue gun to a city PD in Central MA...

The bluing on this gun is beautiful for a "service" piece. They dont build them as nice anymore. They must have put the hand in backwards though because the cylinder rotates clockwise;)

The end.

That colt is my favorite thus far! Who cares if the muzzle flips some, sights are fixed, and the grip is smaller than most, the Police Positive is one of my favorite handguns ever made.

I have a friend in MN who made himself some elkhorn grips for his two Bisleys. Those two pistols didn't flip when I shot them. They were his loads though, not commercial. No doubt the easiest revolvers to shoot, that I've ever shot.. Anyone else feel like they have better control with a Bisley?

Added: They were .45 Colt, and they seemed like stiffer loads than the BP loads I was running though my wifes Thunderer.

image_58019.jpg So I'm here in Raton, NM enjoying a few days at the range. Rather than post up my "wide-ass groups", I thought I would post my new trainee's groups. Five yards with my .22, her .38/.357, my .40 and .45.

FTR, she only used .38 Spcl. in her pistol. Outstanding for a woman who only shot a pistol once before this day

Last edited:
That colt is my favorite thus far! Who cares if the muzzle flips some, sights are fixed, and the grip is smaller than most, the Police Positive is one of my favorite handguns ever made.

It is a beautiful gun. The old horse leather polishing wheels, or whatever they used, make the metal take on a deep blue. Looks almost nitre blue at times.

It would be a great gun to put in a flap holster, don some jodphurs and puttees and than go looking for Dr Livingston.

It is a beautiful gun. The old horse leather polishing wheels, or whatever they used, make the metal take on a deep blue. Looks almost nitre blue at times.

It would be a great gun to put in a flap holster, don some jodphurs and puttees and than go looking for Dr Livingston.

You mean like BuffaloWinter!??!!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Awesome photos as per usual Buff.....

I like me some Birdshead.

Biselys always looked to me like someone dropped the gun on the grip strap and bent it.

Not the pretty Bisley's you guys show but here in Raton, the have a few on display:
IMG_20170521_121826790.jpg
Note the low wide hammer. So easy to move the thumb right up and re-cock the weapon. Best hammer of all IMO. Whether or not, you 'correctly';) like the grip, I definitely feel it lends to accuracy

When I first saw this gun under glass I said "Hey Joe let me check out that 39-2, please."
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/P5157430_zpsvax7ha49.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Than I shut my mouth and received an education on what a 52-2 is. The next words out of my mouth were "Ill take it!". This gun is made by magical gnomes in the underworld.

There he is again. I almost felt bad for him because I knew what type of hell was about to rain down upon him. I let him know it would be quick and merciful though.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/P5157431_zps7vp7p1vn.jpg"}[/IMG2]

The people at my club shoot a bit Id say......
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/P5157432_zpsh2fpcqdl.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I swear I shot this, I didnt pay someone to do it. I also think I speak in tongues and lightening emits from my body like some sort of Tesla coil........its the magic in the gun.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/P5157433_zpsw1uhsmqt.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I should have taken head shots so that I could use this target on my next shoot. The smaller aiming point of the head would have tightened my shooting some. When I shoot 4 inch circles with the 52-2 it makes one hole. I did that once after brand new blocks were installed, the wadcutters ate a 2 inch hole into the rubber.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/P5157434_zps8dp3dmo2.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/P5157436_zpsmzcsdbfl.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Thats fckn awesome. Have you ever shot a 952? If so how do the two of em compare?? Also, S&W 952 vs SIG P210??
Thank ya sir.

Never fired the 952 so I'm unsure how it compares.

The 52-2 is a purpose built competition gun. I think what followed was intended for carry and an t didn't have the same trigger or barrel/bushing set up.

I want a model 39 at some point as it was the pistol that preceded the 52.

The ergonomics on the 52 are so good that I think the 39 would have to be nice to shoot. I doubt the DAO trigger on the 39 would be as nice as the SAO 52-2 trigger though.

The 39 is a double action only pistol that apparently was the fruits of our victory in WWII. I have been told, but haven't confirmed, that it has some features of the P-38. The Model 39 was submitted to the US Army for testing as a replacement for the 1911. Colt submitted the Commander. The Army said whats the difference and kept what they had at that time