• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Shooting with contacts

_Shay_

thing 2
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2009
USA
Well, I got contacts the other day, and I noticed while looking through my scope. the reticle was no where near to as crisp as it was before I had them. I adjusted the rear focus, and nothing better. I take my contacts out, and the reticle is perfect again.

Does anyone have this issue? Or is it just my eyes getting used to the contacts? I noticed that my vision hasnt been as focused up close since I got them.

Re: Shooting with contacts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">go back to the eye guy and tell him he fucked up....tell hin that you are a shooter.......they will hook you up </div></div>

Will do. Without glasses or contacts I've had no issues with scopes and focus, but it's weird that I do now.

I had a similar problem when I switched to contacts.

My right eye is slightly worse than my left. Normally out of convenience the Doc will try and get you into two contacts with the same power. That way you don't have to fuss with keeping your right and left seperate. Well in my case, at least for shooting, I needed a specific power for both eye's.

Maybe your situation is similar.

Did you adjust the parallax or the diopter? Because the diopter probably needs adjusting now with the switch in your eyes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CL1KKL4C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a similar problem when I switched to contacts.

My right eye is slightly worse than my left. Normally out of convenience the Doc will try and get you into two contacts with the same power. That way you don't have to fuss with keeping your right and left seperate. Well in my case, at least for shooting, I needed a specific power for both eye's.

Maybe your situation is similar. </div></div>

My left eye is slightly worse than my right eye, so I have a specific contact for each eye.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you adjust the parallax or the diopter? Because the diopter probably needs adjusting now with the switch in your eyes. </div></div>

I was adjusting with the diopter.

What type of lenses are you using? The reason I ask is cause the oasis brand for me did the same thing and never got used to them. So I went back and stuck to old reliable accuvue 2.

I ain't a doc, but I'm thinking that eyes, like scopes, have a range of distances within which they can [best] focus. Much like the parallax adjustment on a scope. And that perhaps when one gets to tinkering with their vision artificially [via contacts in this case], where this optimal focal range "bracket" is for your eye(s) changes.
As a guess, I'd say you've got a bit of nearsightedness, & that the lenses were setup to enhance your distance vision. So now, with your lenses in, focusing on things up close is more difficult.

Have you tried doing much reading with your contacts in, & also doing that & then taking them out & going back to reading? Kinda' curious if you notice a difference there as well, perhaps on par with the reticle clarity difficulties.

And this isn't directed specifically at you as you're young, but as a lot of folks start hitting middle age, their ability to focus on small items up close tends to wane. Ask me how I know this ;-) Such a visual change being due to the mechanics of, & distances at which the eye focuses best as we age.
Like I said, the above's a SWAG involving a bit of logic. But it might be worth reading on/asking your doc about it.

Shay
My contacts give me hell too and I think its cause they tend to dry out some as I'm concentrating and not blinking. If I get a shot off in 5-10 sec I have no problem. Any longer than that and the crosshairs lose their clarity. If I'm doing some serious shooting I wear my glasses and have no problem.

I think if I'm going to shoot for a long period of time, I just wont wear contacts, or maybe over time my eyes will adjust, since I just got them yesterday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LegioX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shay
My contacts give me hell too and I think its cause they tend to dry out some as I'm concentrating and not blinking. If I get a shot off in 5-10 sec I have no problem. Any longer than that and the crosshairs lose their clarity. If I'm doing some serious shooting I wear my glasses and have no problem. </div></div>

I have the same problem

I shoot with contacts as well. I bet you need to spend more time working on the ocular focus.

I was instructed to do the following and it works for me:

Lay on your back and look thru your scope at the sky or some other bland background--the emphasis will be on looking at the reticle. Close your eye and then open it. Repeat several times. Is the reticle crisply focused when you first open your eye? Adjust the ocular from one extreme to the other until you find good reticle focus. Be sure to open and close your eye often, otherwise your eye muscles will adjust to focus the reticle leading it to be out of focus when you are looking down range.

Hope this helps or you'll be back to seeing the doctor.

If you can, try looking through scope with both eyes open & see if that makes any difference. Definitely make sure you are breathing properly as well. Eyes get "starved" of oxygen quickly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BW88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot with contacts as well. I bet you need to spend more time working on the ocular focus.

I was instructed to do the following and it works for me:

Lay on your back and look thru your scope at the sky or some other bland background--the emphasis will be on looking at the reticle. Close your eye and then open it. Repeat several times. Is the reticle crisply focused when you first open your eye? Adjust the ocular from one extreme to the other until you find good reticle focus. Be sure to open and close your eye often, otherwise your eye muscles will adjust to focus the reticle leading it to be out of focus when you are looking down range.

Hope this helps or you'll be back to seeing the doctor.

</div></div>

Good advice here, but a few things to add. Instead of closing your eye and re-opening it, just pull your head off the stock and then put it back on and look through the scope. Don't adjust the diopter for more than a second or two as your eye will automatically bring the crosshairs into focus. Closing your eyelid also cause the focus of your eye to change as well, so keep your eyes open and just pull your head off the sight picture every few seconds and adjust until your first impression of the crosshair is as crisp as possible. MAKE SURE THE PARALAX IS AT INFINITY! Good luck.

Mike

Well, here's the update-

I let my eyes get used to the contacts, and then I proceeded to refocus my scope. Turns out it's the same as without contacts, so that is a plus. Thanks for the help guys. I noticed that the blurry vision of things up close is steadily going away every day as well. I guess it just took my eyes a little time to get used to them.

well this thread is as close as I can get to my question. I will start wearing glasses soon for seeing close. How will this effect the recticle size. Will my glasses magnify the mill recticle to where the math will be off?

LowKey,

If you start wearing glasses that are progressive for reading and seeing distance too (bifocals), the trick will be to have the reading portion of the glasses align with your cheek weld and sight picture. I have the same issues. I tend to look through the upper part of my lenses when I am trying to focus on the reticles and with some frames, this is problematic. In fact, I had to change frames so that I wasn't looking over the lenses and getting a split image. I also found that a properly fitting stock with cheek rest, helped me get a better alignment.)
I have a great doc and I actually took my rifle with scope into his office and his staff worked with me to get the right frame and lenses for my situation. (I live in a small town and can get away with this but I wouldn't suggest carrying your rifle into the WalMart optical department.)
My eyes are particularly tricky because I have retina damage dead center in my right eye which really sucks. In fact, I had to change reticles from the Gen II XR to the Gen II simply because the reticles were too fine for me to focus on.

If you are simply wearing reading glasses it shouldn't affect anything except your ability to see the reticle more clearly. Kinda of a PITA to have to slip them to make your shot though in a hunting situation though.

Hope this helped.

MacDaddy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bricktop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the same issue sometimes, mainly with eye watering. I think I'll eventually get some friggin' laser beams to fix the problem. </div></div>

I plan to do that as soon as I'm 18. Seems like the best option.

It depends on your eyes, your prescription, pupil size etc. Just make sure you thoroughly research it before you do it. It may not be your best option (laser correction).

I had like 20/400 vision. Contacts are rarely (NEVER) as crisp as glasses in my experience. I rifle hunted with glasses and bow hunted with contacts because of the advantage of the increased peripheral vision in tight quarters, being right on to top of a game trail.

Laser surgery was the answer.

I've worn contacts for about 25 years now. I'm significantly near sighted with a pretty decent astigmatism to boot. Gas permeable contacts is what gets me 20/15 vision and also doesn't have the drying out problem. I've tried soft contacts and not only did they dry out bad, they also don't give me the vision clarity that I desire.

For anyone with an astigmatism, I highly recommend you speak with your doctor about the gas perm contacts. They take longer to get used to because they are rigid and they're also more susceptible to foreign objects, but the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages for me.

I tried gas permeables and they were great. Sorta. 0.75 cylinder on one eye's astigmatism, and as my Ophtho said, the hard lens "covers up" the astigmatism. Not all of it, though. In low light levels things got a bit smeary around the edges.

But now that I have Night & Day (or Day and Night or whatever) softies, the comfort level is insanely high. I wear them up to three weeks at a stretch!

But since they don't correct my astigmatism at all, after about three tries, I just told the guy to give me contacts for "reading", the needed prescription minus something like 1.5, and then I got the cheapo glasses deal for distance *and astigmatism correction*.

Only way to go for me. Anything up close, I take the glasses OFF!.

here's the update-

Went to the Docs today, and she backed down my prescription. It helped a little bit. I tried to focus my reticle, to no avail. Then I got to thinking, my head position is not correct. Without contacts in, the eye box seems much more forgiving, but with contacts, it is quite finickey. I may just shoot without contacts, I can still see at distance, it's just not nearly as clear as it is with contacts, or I may just need glasses for shooting.

I see LASIK in my near future though.

Well, nother update, got home from school today, decided to see how my eyes are, looked through my scope and Wow, clearest its ever been. Reticle is nice and crisp, everything is in line. lets hope it stays this way.

You may not be able to get laser surgery when you are 18. I'm 25 and my eyes have been at the same prescription for 2-3 years now. You want to be SURE that your eyes are stable before you get it done. I've been wearing contacts for 10 years now, and I'm getting PRK laser surgery done on the 22nd. It will be great to be able to wake up in the morning and see.

I am glad this thread came up as I am just now starting to have some vision changes in my right eye which is the eye I use to look thru the scope. I went to the eye doctor about six weeks ago and my right eye is starting to develop an Astigmatism. This is humbling as I have always had 20/15 vision. The doc wrote me a slight prescription for my right eye but I have been holding out on getting glasses for now.

I've been wearing contacts since I was in Jr. High. I didn't need much presciption then, and still don't need a ton now. My prescription is -2.00 in my right eye, and -3.00 in my left eye. I have a VERY good eye doctor that has been an optometrist for almost 50 years. He's very intelligent, and keeps up with all the new technology as well. He uses all the new machines, checks everything manually, and has always been VERY accomodating to my shooting. For the past couple of years, I've offhandedly mentioned getting some time of laser correction done. My presciption has been stable for several years now, and I'm 28, so I was a bit more serious when I discussed it with him last visit. I'll tell you exactly what he asked me and told me.

He asked "do you hate your contacts?" I replied, "No, I'm pretty used to them since I've been wearing contact lenses since Jr. High. I just want to wake up in the morning and be able to see, or have to worry about contact lenses." He told me, "I would really suggest that you do NOT get the laser correction done." He went on to tell me that while I think my eyes are an inconvenience now, and don't like being near sighted, I would have more eye problems later in life. Obviously they can only cut so much away, and correct your vision so many times. He said that by the time I was in my mid 40's, maybe 50's, I'd be wearing reading glasses, AND still need presciption lenses in my eyes. He said it depends on how fast your eyesight detriorates again (and it will). Eventually you won't be able to get "touched up again" (with current technology), and because of how you have modified your eyes and with them changing, you'll start having problems with your close vision (far sighted). I don't like my contacts, but if I normally probably wouldn't have the problem, I damn sure don't want to be fighting with bifocals in my mid 40's or early 50's. I think I'll stick to my contacts for a while and see if technology changes any.

Some of you may already be aware of this, but it is SERIOUSLY something to consider for the future. You may think that 40's and 50's aren't that far away, and you want to have the convenience now. Whether any of us like to accept it or not, our 40's and 50's get here quickly, and then will you want to live with the inconvenience of bifocals for the rest of your life? For me, the answer is "no". I'm going to hold off, deal with what I always have (it's not that bad, and you get more and more used to it), and not have to worry about other eye problems in the future. Maybe I feel this way because in relative terms, my eyes aren't that bad. If you are seriously considering getting your eyes lasered (PRK, Lasik, etc.) ask LOTS of questions, and consider the effects it can have on your future.

I had many of the same concerns, and so far everyone has been pretty honest about it. Most say to expect 10 years of good vision, then your eyes will start to get bad with age as most peoples do. A friend of mine had his done 10 years ago and he is in his mid 40's. He is to the point that he needs reading glasses now. But he would whether he had the surgery or not, the only difference is that he can still see things far away, and had he not had the surgery he wouldn't be able to. Without the surgery, he would need bifocals.

I DO hate my contacts. I've been wearing them since I was in Jr. high too. They are such an inconvenience when outdoors camping, hunting, etc. If I lose one, my trip is ruined. If I get stuck in some sort of natural disaster and have to go for days with little good hygiene, they are one more thing that I have to worry about. I want to end that dependence.

Anyone considering laser surgery, PM me sometime towards the beginning of next year and see how I'm doing. I hope my eyes are mostly healed up by then, and I'll give you my thoughts on the procedure.
-Dan

Slightly off topic but you guys in this thread seem to know your stuff. I notice when im trying to focus my reticle by the look into the scope then look away method. My left eye (closed eye) seems to take a few seconds to refocus after I open both eyes. This seems to happen indoors mostly and I dont notice it when shooting at the range. Anyone else have this issue?

I think it's normal. Mine does this too. My left eye is pretty blurry for 10-20 seconds after I've had it closed for a while. I shoot eyes open with everything but my high powered scopes, and need to learn to do it with the scopes too.