• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Short action to a mile thread?

Re: TRG22, what round to a mile??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ackley Improved</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I know there is a thread on here about a short action 0.473" boltface where the question asked what round in this action to best get to a mile........ I want it to have best performance ......<span style="font-weight: bold">Barrel length, shorter the better!</span>
</div></div>

Your last statement doesn't belong with the others. I have short barreled rifles but they aren't for maximizing performance but they are very handy. My Creedmoor has a 26" barrel to maximize the factory rounds.

Out of your list I would say 260AI would be the ticket but it will have transitioned long before a mile. I would say your beat bet is maximize bc using the jlk 140s. Doesn't the 284 use the .473 boltface? If so that might be a good option as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impulse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have successfully shout both my creedmoor and my .260 to a mile. And they make it there supersonic here at 6600 ft. elevation </div></div>

What was the DA when you were shooting?

Good luck

I have taken my Creedmoor to 1 mile. DA about 3k ft 90 degree's out. I had to walk them in but it wasn't hard because I was able to pick up splash in the sand.

I will be taking my 260AI, which happens to be on a LA depsite my COAL being 2.835, to a mile this October. I will be at about 1000DA. My velocity is 2900 with 140gr Amax, Lapua brass, 47.5gr 4831SC and a 28inch barrel. I still have about a grain up in powder I could go. We will see how well I do, I am pretty sure I will be subsonic at 1mile.

Re: Short action to a mile thread?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't know where the thread is but I know I'd pick a 7 suam or wsm if I were limited to a short action. </div></div>

I've got a 7SAUM shooting a 162 AMAX (.625 BC) and it will get to a mile no problem. 5500' elevation in summertime. Love the performance but the brass is $.

Some good reading on 7mm:
http://www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html

My 7-08 makes it at only 1200ft asl. I've observed it done with a 260 many times by Tom Sarver at TVP. Only issue is does your scope have then internal travel to dial to it?

Good luck,
Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wasn't MontanaMarine shooting .308 to a mile with 208's?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the OP's question...I'm tired...forgive me. </div></div>
I shot southwest's 175 SMK's to a mile. It can be done and I got a hit, but wind is a killer at those distances and the 308.

I've tried about 20 rounds outta my 308 at a mile at thunder valley. I run 175 SMKs @ ~2800fps. DA has normally been around 2500ft. It was way beyond unpredictable. One shot would be close (within 10") and the next would be 50ft right. Then 50ft left, then close again, then no visible splash etc etc etc. It wasnt just the wind.

I've tried it enough at this point to know any hit I make with this rifle shooting this load would be sheer dumbass luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wasn't MontanaMarine shooting .308 to a mile with 208's?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the OP's question...I'm tired...forgive me.</div></div>

A 26"bbl 30-06 IIRC, with the 208's.

Doesn't it become about consistency? Theoretically you could shoot a .22 to 1 mile, but how many hits are you really going to get if any. In the end, what are your actual intentions and what are the realistic results? There is a compromise to everything unless you have really deep pockets and a BIG safe (or two). Velocity, a long barrel and BC are your friend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ackley Improved</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thanks guys... but standard boltface is what I was after!
</div></div>

284Win is standard boltface and fits a short action...

hi sir,
on mile with a 7-08 is very impressive!i have a 7-08 too and never shoot past 900 m on an IPSC target.
Could you give me the spec of your cartridge and rifle please.
and maybe the target size.

thank you