• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Shot a group with the tacticool at 250 (pic)

SmallBoreSnipers

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
Troy, NY
As some of you may know, I have been having trouble getting some accuracy out of my tacticool stock. But it seems to like to be shot free recoil, and I think I'm just gonna leave it at that.

Conditions were CRAPPY. Cloudy, dark, 50 degrees, sustained winds at 10 mph with gusts to 15 - 20.

To continue testing at 100, I fired a quick 3 shot group which made a nice little 1" triangle. I was using CCI TNT HP's. Pleased with that, I walked the box out to 250 just for the hell of it. Since it was so cloudy and dark, and I was using a crappy walmart 3-9x scope, I couldn't see my impacts (needed a shoot n c).

You can see 2 shots from the first group I fired. Luckily on the last shot, I could barely make out dirt spray up on the target. I raised the reticle 1 mil, and moved it 1/2 a mil to the left to correct for the wind, which was coming into play big time. I fired 5 shots, walked up to the target, and was pretty pleased. There's 4 shots (2 just about double tapped) that would be right around the X mark. Then I've got that flier off to the right.

Considering visibility, conditions, and no point to aim at on the target, I was definitely pleased to get these results at my first time at this distance with a stock I have been struggling with.
smile.gif
I can only imagine what it would've looked like if it was a nice calm day.

IMG_3299.jpg

Re: Shot a group with the tacticool at 250 (pic)

Free recoil ey.

Im convinced now even more that its the bedding and recoil lug.

I think, if you load the bipod or even just put your shoulder to the rifle while shes on the bipod you are adding some minor degree of torque to the stock and its having an effect on the setup. But when you shoot it free recoil this is going away.

Im convinced that raising the rifle slightly either temporarily with washers, or with slightly longer pillars and a nice bedding job, you will restore accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I to keep trying to convince myself I do not need a 17, but you are making this difficult! lol </div></div>

Same thing happend to me. I listened to SBS & saw the results He was getting with that .17. I fought it for a long time, but finally gave in & bought a Savage TR .17 HMR. I'm glad I did. You will be too.
grin.gif

I rasied it like a 1/4 mil and took it to 300 and got a 5" group. Again it was windy as hell. I think like vman said, if I bed the thing it will probably tighten up a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ClintB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the savage better then the CZ in 17? </div></div>

No, they should be very comparable in accuracy.

I just bought a CZ 452 Varmint in .17hmr and plan to try it out tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stmcelroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ClintB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the savage better then the CZ in 17? </div></div>

No, they should be very comparable in accuracy.

I just bought a CZ 452 Varmint in .17hmr and plan to try it out tomorrow. </div></div>

Sweeeeet. Tomorrow should be a good day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aquatic_Robotic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice at 250. Good Shootin tommorrow.

Was hoping to get out late tomorrow evening, but it is supposed to be 15-25 mph winds and 50% chance of rain. We will see. </div></div>

Oh come on man. Makes for good practice! lol
smile.gif

Thanks for the props guys. Not my best group at this distance, but worth sharing.