Should anyone be looking for a 2 minute reset... step on in...

LuckyDuck

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 4, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    JUL 1-3, 1863... (161 years ago for those here challenged by math) things were pretty dang rough here in our country. Far more turmoil than issues like open borders, corrupt media, pandemics, or questionable leadership brings to the table presently but sure that was present even then.

I'm talking about 4 years of absolute carnage, brother against brother- bayonet against bayonet style of fighting... over convictions and an established moral code (yep I said it/summarized it) over how a population would be governed just shy of 100 years into our country's establishment.

With that preface- while we were absolutely tearing ourselves apart nationally, there was one speech, that lasted all but 2 minutes that forever went into history and while I'd have to imagine most of our members here learned about it in school (however many years ago), we can all benefit by a refresher...

"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate—we can not consecrate—we can not hallow—this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

-Abraham Lincoln

Last edited:
    The timing is poignant.
    Opinions vary of course but as for me- I'm a big believer in remembering history and the warning that if we ignore it, we're doomed to repeat it.... Of course that's just one opinion but keeping with the Gettysburg Address & current events (as well as my previous statement)...

I present the defacement of the 54th Massachusetts Regiment Memorial by a BLM "gathering" a number of years ago to illustrate my point. Ignorance abounds and while I'm not one to put too much stock into hollow gestures this one hurt while trying to find the good in modern society...

1724131895361.png

-LD

Abe was a fucking war criminal. Millions who would vote to disarm me deserve to die like him.
    Whelp- that's an interesting opinion. Not saying you're wrong either but care to elaborate? I certainly recall Lincoln's Presidential Proclamation 94 suspending the writ of habeas corpus which... yeah not too good, but he did it (just from a historical perspective). It's not like we've 'evolved' too far as a nation either with the internment camps we set up for the Japanese citizens something like 80 years ago (interestingly enough also about 80 years after Lincoln suspend habeas corpus)...

Also interestingly enough- given another 80 years after that... well, I guess avoiding the specifics, we're where we're at now if I'm doing my math right. Reckon that's something like an "every 2 generation reset"?

-LD

Last edited:
    You're only telling part of the story.

1863 - the National Bank Act was passed - establishing a private central bank that Jackson had previously gotten rid of.

And....there are some who believe that in 1871 the United States of America became a Corporation - named the same.....but that is much more involved story.

Reactions: LuckyDuck

1863 - the National Bank Act was passed - establishing a private central bank that Jackson had previously gotten rid of.

And....there are some who believe that in 1871 the United States of America became a Corporation - named the same.....but that is much more involved story.
    You are of course correct sir- and frankly better informed than many who contribute here regularly. If I remember my history correctly, as colorful of a personality Andrew Jackson was- he was adamant about allowing a private bank take hold of the country.

-LD

Lincoln should have been aborted in the same fashion but, much, much, sooner than he was.
    Unless you were there, you are either reading about history or being indoctrinated (aka schooled)by the writings of it,... which is always by the victor. Written & taught history is full of lies & deception to further the agenda of the victor.

Lincoln should have been aborted in the same fashion but, much, much, sooner than he was.
    Unless you were there, you are either reading about history or being indoctrinated (aka schooled)by the writings of it,... which is always by the victor. Written & taught history is full of lies & deception to further the agenda of the victor.
    Wait, are you saying that Wikipedia is lying about the reasons that Lincoln was assassinated? It wasn't because Booth was against the ideas of equality? Assuming than means he wasn't for minorities, blacks, gays and trans people.

Robert E. Lee had surrendered to Gen. Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox. Booth had been part of a conspiracy to kidnap Lincoln, Koerber said, but even when there was no hope for the Confederacy, Booth “was so against the idea of equality, he so embraced white supremacy, that he thought it was grounds for killing Lincoln.”

I understand your point but please don't misunderstand me- I'm not arguing that 'Honest Abe' was the greatest thing since sliced bread, just trying to illustrate that we've had far darker days and after one of our darkest moments, Lincoln (despite his flaws) delivered a pretty amazing speech in about 2 minutes to encapsulate the moment.

-LD

Wait, are you saying that Wikipedia is lying about the reasons that Lincoln was assassinated? It wasn't because Booth was against the ideas of equality? Assuming than means he wasn't for minorities, blacks, gays and trans people.

Robert E. Lee had surrendered to Gen. Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox. Booth had been part of a conspiracy to kidnap Lincoln, Koerber said, but even when there was no hope for the Confederacy, Booth “was so against the idea of equality, he so embraced white supremacy, that he thought it was grounds for killing Lincoln.”
    1724161319102.png

I still question the hanging of Mary Surratt and find it rather... interesting I'll say, that this seems to be largely ignored by the education system as a topic worthy of teaching.

-LD

Reactions: M4orturnate

I thought 1913 and Wilson implemented the federal reserve act and really set the stage?

Reactions: LuckyDuck
    I thought 1913 and Wilson implemented the federal reserve act and really set the stage?
    That was later. There were multiple attempts to bring the colonies / America under the thumb of private finance.

The Creature from Jekyll Island : A Second Look at the Federal Reserve is a book that EVERY American should read and should be taught in classrooms.

Regardless, the history of Central Banking has been (and remains) a bloody battle (w/ Muammar Gaddafi as it's last high profile victim).

May all reading understand the Federal Reserve Bank is not Federal, alternatively it is composed of private member banks. Those member banks use the IRS to collect Taxes for the interest payments on the national debt which is then given to these private member banks. Actual Gov spending is deficit spending.