• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Sidearms & Scatterguns Sig 1911 Tac Pac-Pics up!

jasonZ

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2008
independence, kansas 67301
1st off does anybody have one and how do they like it? I'm waiting on mine to be shipped in, so I'm curious about them and will probably have to contact Sig for some questions on upgrades, such as night sights and possibly some other modifications if I don't really like some of the features upon arrival and shooting. My biggest concern at this point is whether or not a basic set of 1911 night sights can be installed on one of these pistol without any modifications? I may want to change a thing or two, but I'm pretty sure that is the first and foremost mod that I will want to do to this gun.

Secondly I've read alot about people that don't like the external extractor and it appears that this is mostly among race gun/competive shooters as most of what I've seen is saying they don't like it because they can't just have an extra or borrow one from a fellow shooter. Is there some other reason that they don't like the external extractor? Is it more prone to failure or complications? From what I've read it appears to be a personal choice and that it should actually help eliminate malfunctions.

Third, is the slide design and holster fit issues. From what I've read it appears that there are some Sig 1911, which are to have the distinct line/groove in the slide, that don't fit in common 1911 holsters. I read where an individual stated that it fit his Serpa just fine, which is really all I need it to fit into as it will be used as a duty weapon on a thigh rig and it comes with a belt type holster for it. Now it appears that the gun I'm getting does not have this slide design and is of the more "traditional" slide design so it may not be as much of an issue, but I will probably carry it off duty as well. Any input on this would be helpful.

The other thing I am curious about is the fact that I have never owned a Sig of any kind. I have owned and shot several 1911 pistols, but never any kind of Sig. Is there any special care or maintanence that needs to be done to Sig, which will help keep it running in tense moments or just in general?
Thanks for you time and your input, Jason

Re: Sig 1911 Tac Pac

Most people don't like the external extractor for a couple of reasons. First off, the original 1911 didn't have it. Secondly, some companies tried to do it and it was nothing but problems.

IMHO, the sig is a great 1911. The external extractor works very well. The whole bit about borrowing an extractor is a bunch of shit. If your worried about it, buy an extra, the same thing the guys with internal extractors are doing.

Normal holsters usually do not fit the sig. Most any custom leather maker can and will make one.

Sights are dovetail so there shouldn't be any problems changing them. Sig and Novak will do it for you if yu want to pay to have it done.

Care and upkeep on the sig is no different than any other 1911.

That was my thoughts on the external extractor also. It was simple, call Sig and get another to have on hand.

Sights are my biggest concern and I figured I'd simply call Sig when I got the gun and see what they say. I bet I got some friends with some sights to double check anyhow.

I'll just have to wait and see when it gets here I guess. Thanks

I have the 1911 XO. Don't get SIG to put on night sights. The ones they use are crap. Very very small to the point where they're basically useless. Send the slide to Novak if you want night sights.

Otherwise great pistol.

BTW if anyone can recommend a good custom holster shop I'd be grateful. Milt doesn't have the template for these pistols unfortunately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the 1911 XO. Don't get SIG to put on night sights. The ones they use are crap. Very very small to the point where they're basically useless. Send the slide to Novak if you want night sights.

Otherwise great pistol.

BTW if anyone can recommend a good custom holster shop I'd be grateful. Milt doesn't have the template for these pistols unfortunately. </div></div>
My Sig 1911 came from the factory with excellent trijicon night sights. I would assume you could order the same as an upgrade on a pistol you already have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rogerschrisj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the 1911 XO. Don't get SIG to put on night sights. The ones they use are crap. Very very small to the point where they're basically useless. Send the slide to Novak if you want night sights.

Otherwise great pistol.

BTW if anyone can recommend a good custom holster shop I'd be grateful. Milt doesn't have the template for these pistols unfortunately. </div></div>
My Sig 1911 came from the factory with excellent trijicon night sights. I would assume you could order the same as an upgrade on a pistol you already have. </div></div>

Mine came with the white dot sights which is what I have on there now. I 'upgraded' to their night sights and was very disappointed and switched back. perhaps they've upgraded their components.

I've been wanting one

I want to switch from my taurus to the sig.

thing is my taurus has worked so well for me, I'm hesitant to giving it up, but I don't (and won't/can't) have 2 1911s. I don't collect them. I carry them

I got it today and I'll post some pics in the next couple days! so far the finish looks good. It's nice and tight. The trigger feels pretty darn good for a factory setup. Nice short reset on it. I haven't shot it yet, probably wednesday or thursday. I'll report back after the first trip to the range to try to give a review, but so far I'm very satified with it!

Holsters:

Have your local leather guy make one. Often, it's actually cheaper to have your local guy make you a custom fit holster, than it is to buy one from one of the big names.

I love my Sig Revolution. Its been great and runs flawlessly on all ammo I've tried.

Here are some pics of the piece!
Complete package, pistol, holster, extra mag, laser light, mag loader, cable lock, and hard case.
2sbq0li.jpg

pistol itself.
6p8h34.jpg

I was gonna post more, but it seems to be giving problems with getting em loaded onto tinypic. Anyhow, I still ain't shot it yet. I'm hopeful for tomorrow, but not certain yet. Like I said so far so good and I tore everything down to check it out. All the fit and finish inside looks to be top notch and everything looks to be fitted will with good parts. I'm sure there are some things in it that aren't made of steel or billet, but it appears that everything is fitted and in good working order. Function tests are perfect, so I don't expect any problems. I have three different types of ammo to shoot in order to see if it fails on either three. I have winchester ball, remington gold sabre hp, and some truncated reloads for testing. I'll try to post again tomorrow to let everybody that's interested know what happened and show some groups, which probably won't be awesome because I'm not a great pistol shooter. Thanks, Jason

I've always felt that new hampshire sigs were utter trash after some bad experiences I had with a P228 and an ill advised 556, but after handling a GSR C3 I will say I was actually impressed, I think their 1911 may be the best gun they are currently producing out of that factory. Good shooter with a good trigger for what it is, and the one I handled also had novaks on it although I'm not sure if that was factory or not.

Shot 4mags through it earlier and it functioned flawlessly. Shot 230gr ball winchester, 200gr truncated reloads, and 230gr (i think) golden sabre HP's through it will no FTF of FTE's at all. Trigger is pretty awesome for a factory setup. Smooth, short reset and easy to control. Gun was balanced nicely and presented well from the holster. It took a few rounds to get a good grip figured out, but it felt good in the hands. Overall I'm very satisfied with the gun, both function and cosmetics. I would highly recommend it at this point and we'll just have to see about longevity and reliability. Thanks, Jason

HMMM that looks familiar. I have never shot one of those, but i did have another SIG 1911 that shot like a sniper bullet with 230 grain Winchester Bonded pdx1. Just a suggestion for something else to try if you run across any.

Thanks again

I just got my first Sig 1911. I have wanted one for awhile, and finally had the opportunity to trade some extra guns for a Commander length model. Yours looks great OP.