• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Range Report Sig SSG 3000 Range Report

operator74656

Private
Minuteman
May 26, 2010
NAS Oceana, VA
www.flickr.com
I took my newly acquired Sig SSG 3000 to the range yesterday with some pretty encouraging results.

Rifle: Sig SSG 3000, used
Scope: NightForce NXS 5.5-22x56mm
Picatinny Rail: US Optics after-market adapter installed by gunsmith
Scope Mount: LRT LT-104

0.3 MOA at 100 yards

4835405779_2ecb880307_b.jpg

Re: Sig SSG 3000 Range Report

I really like the looks of the SSG 3000. How much does it weigh out with all the accessories on it? What ammunition were you using - reloads or store bought?

this is one of the two rifles I have always wanted and the other is a TRG-22. I had a chance at a used TRG in a Gander Mountain when they had it on sale for 1375.00 and I walked away - I have kicked myself every since.

It's a shame you passed on that TRG...

My SSG 3000 was in near-perfect condition so I think I lucked out and it is apparently still got it where it counts...

I would keep looking on the auction sites - you might get lucky while the economy is still crappy.

As far as the Sig - I would definitely recommend it (although the factory new sticker price would make me question it).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a chance at a used TRG in a Gander Mountain when they had it on sale for 1375.00 and I walked away - I have kicked myself every since. </div></div>

What year was that? That would have been a buy first tell my wife later purchase...

Josh

it was three years ago and the worst thing is my wife was with me and she told me to get it but I said, naw, I will get it next time I am here and of course it was gone the next time I visted. I still hate myself over that one. Kind of makes me sick to the stomach to tell you the truth.

When the level of skill in shooting matches demands that a shooter needs to fire 10 - 15000 rounds or more through his rifle every year/season the Sauer SSG3000 outperforms old fashion rifles like TRG and AI in logistics.

This is a reality in Scandinavia. Cheap dropin matchbarrels that the shooter can change himself in 20 minutes without any technical background is the "killer app". All other parts are interchangeable between every SSG3000 made with custom tolerances. The Sauer is the DCM rifle in the Scandinavian countries.

In other events outside the DCM programme the Sauer is still the rifle to beat. Again the reason is shooters with extreme volumes of rounds each year in combination with the superior logistics, cost and the tecnical ability of the Sauer rifle itself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TorF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When the level of skill in shooting matches demands that a shooter needs to fire 10 - 15000 rounds or more rounds through his rifle every year/season the Sauer SSG3000 outperforms old fashion rifles like TRG and AI in logistics.

This is a reality in Scandinavia. Cheap dropin matchbarrels that the shooter can change himself in 20 minutes without any technical background is the "killer app". All other parts are interchangeable between every SSG3000 made with custom tolerances. The Sauer is the DCM rifle in the Scandinavian countries.

In other events outside the DCM programme the Sauer is still the rifle to beat. Again the reason is shooters with extreme volumes of rounds each year in combination with the superior logistics, cost and the tecnical ability of the Sauer rifle itself. </div></div>

TorF is right,

a new barrel are about 700 USD, ready to install and go,

once again,

i belive that this is a correct thread to advertise some stång skjutning aka stang shooting,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfY899uNOk0

I am sorry TorF for recycling that clip however it shows that us scandinavians can shoot to.

/Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swedish guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TorF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When the level of skill in shooting matches demands that a shooter needs to fire 10 - 15000 rounds or more rounds through his rifle every year/season the Sauer SSG3000 outperforms old fashion rifles like TRG and AI in logistics.

In other events outside the DCM programme the Sauer is still the rifle to beat. Again the reason is shooters with extreme volumes of rounds each year in combination with the superior logistics, cost and the tecnical ability of the Sauer rifle itself. </div></div>

TorF is right,

a new barrel are about 700 USD, ready to install and go,

once again,

i belive that this is a correct thread to advertise some stång skjutning aka stang shooting,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfY899uNOk0

I am sorry TorF for recycling that clip however it shows that us scandinavians can shoot to.

/Chris </div></div>

Check out this HQ video. Start at 6:00 minutes. 2008 stang final winner shot on electronic target. Same shooter as in youtube clip: http://www.nrk.no/nett-tv/klipp/521030/

BTW: The barrel on this rifle is not made by Sauer. The barrel comes from Schultz&Larsen and is painted with a thick acrylic paint that reduce barrel vibration. The barrel is chambered for 6.5x55 and is a straight dropin in the SSG3000.

I got one for a Sig STR one time through Shooting Edge or Sporting Edge in Canada. Can't remember the name exactly, it had "edge" in it though. You could try them, but it took like 6 months and I had sold the rifle by then.

Justin

We just got an SSG for the Dept. Now we have my TRG and an SSG.

The rifle came as a Level III kit with a fixed Leupold 10X, but that came off and we put on a USO T-Pal using the stock Sig Sauer mount.

Of note, I wanted to order a second TRG, but we got a deal on an SSG and the chief went w. the deal rather than my first choice. (Say 'no' twice then salute!) Rifle came from another dept and was a mess when we got it. Filthy. No log book. Badly maintained. But we stripped it down and it cleaned up like new.

After taking it to the range... it's a pretty amazing rifle. It shoots at par with my duty TRG. Groups in at 1/2 IPHY or less.

Our new M/O is a lefty and he loves the stock and works the bolt well (even though it's a right-hand rifle). He prefers the ergonomics to the TRG, which I can understand for a LH shooter.

I had my doubts as to how it would compare to the TRG, but the SSG 3000's are really, really superb rifles.

I'll get some group shots and range pix up next week.

The SSG 3K is one of those rifles that doesn't seem to get a lot of attention in the US or here on SH. But after a hands-on and a chance to shoot one, they are pretty nice pieces of kit.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I have a "fake" SSG 3000 which in reality is a 6,5x55 STR-rifle but which I have kitted with a mcmillan SSG3000 stock.

sauer200str.jpg

I usally use factoryloaded Norma Diamondline Fält which has a musslevelocity of 930m/s (3060ft/s)in my 70cm barrel. These are very good for long range shots and quite accurate in my opinion. Here are 10 shots at 300 meters (330 yards)7 shots are within 26mm but the total group size only ended up 56mm

normapipaDLFlt-1.jpg

I have also started to handload Berger 130 and 140 gr VLD hunting bullets and they seems to be quite accurate aswell.
My first range test with the loads that worked out best at 100 meters seems to work just as fine at 300 meters

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">five shots with berger 130 VLD hunting at 300 meters</span></span>

Berger130VLDhunting300meter.jpg

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">three shots with berger 140 vld hunting at 100 meters</span>[/u
Berger140VLDhunting100meter.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">five shots with berger 140 vld hunting at 300 meters</span></span>

Berger140VLDhunting300meter.jpg

Quite descent rifle considering that it isnt custome made.
The barrel switching is also very convenient, and easily done under 5 minutes, me like!
smile.gif

I am quite sure that the action is exactly the same, at least it looks exactly the same
wink.gif

The only difference I have seen is that the SSG3000 has a musslebrake on its barrel, and that it comes with the picatinnyrail from usoptics.