• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

sight in distance for jpoint

lvbbbk

Private
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2012
Virginia Beach, VA
Hello everyone. I am a new forum member and ths is my first post. Thanks in advance for anyone who cares to respond. The topic of the post is what everyone's thoughts are on a sight in distance for a jpoint for 3 gun competition. I have a JP Rifle PSC-11, 18" with a Swarovski Z6i sighted in with a RIBSZ (Revised, Improvised Battle Sight Zero) at 200yds. I have a jpoint mounted at a 45deg offset (not on top of the Swarovski). I am wondering what sight in distance is recommended for the jpoint. Looking for a flat trajectory like the RIBSZ but for close in shots probably within 25 yds. Thanks

Re: sight in distance for jpoint

I think this is really a personal question. It depends on what distance you prefer to transfer from your scope to the red dot. If you tend to use the red dot inside of 25 yards that could be good if you use it inside of 50 yards maybe that's a better zero so I would look at when you transition from one optic to the other.

Thanks everyone for their input. I do agree it will be a personal preference on where to transition. I anticipate the transition to be roughly at 25 yds possibly closer with the preponderance of shots using the jpoint within 10 yards.

Perhaps to refine the question a little I would ask if anyone has experience sighting in a back up system like the jpoint where you don't have to worry about holding high, etc.

Also wondering if anyone has any data on the jpoint is mounted lower than the normal height above the barrel.

Thinking about a 10 yd sight in and then playing around with it from 25 and in.

Thanks again

Is it the 8MOA or 4MOA model?

If you want fine accuracy you're going to have to think about High/Low holdovers from 10-25 yards which will vary depending on your sight over bore. Man sized targets just point and shoot.

4 MOA. Absolutely understand there will be holdovers regardless. Just attempting to figure out the best distance to get the smallest delta between high/low point of impact within 25yds. Thanks

An improvised bzo is at 50 yards, not 200.

And would work much better for most 3 gun comps.

As for adding an extra Jpoint sight I pretty much think that's retarded. Learn where your main optic hits and adjust. Anything closer than 15 is point and shoot, no sight needed.

Wrong forum for this anyhow. Head over to m4carbine.net

If you insist on operating the way you are then figure out the longest and shortest shots you'll take with it and sight in at the average. Which are very close anyhow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Learn where your main optic hits and adjust.</div></div>Agreed.