• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Signs that its time to anneal?

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Haven't really gotten into this part yet but may be looking at an annealer.

The initial thing that hit me was trying to figure out when its time to anneal. Are there actual physical signs that you can see, or is it, anneal every X firing for Y caliber?

Looking at my 5.56 and 7.62 brass I use in semis for precision, other than the brass being dirty, I don't see anything physically different from the 1st firing to some that have been fired 5+ times.

The first signs you’ll see is split necks but, depending on brand of brass, you will notice accuracy fall off after 4 loads. Brass gets brittle after working it so many times. Proper annealing brings it back to its original state. But over annealing is dangerous and under annealing is of no value so... if you’re shooting inexpensive brass or just plinking with it I’d shoot it until the necks start to split then throw the batch away.

I anneal every firing. I use a bench source and use it inside with no issues but I usually only no more than 500 at one time which doesn’t take very long so if you were doing more than that at one time it may be an issue

AMP annealer is fantastic , no flame to worry about as it is
    electric induction . The AMP guys have just announced that
    their annealer can now actually calibrate itself for your individual
    lot of brass and neck thickness if you turn necks .

This is amazing . Previously the deal was you had to send your
    brass to NZ for a Vickers Hardness test . With appropriate software
    upgrade via the USB port , every AMP annealing machine can now
    calibrate itself for ANY brass with the appropriate pilot .

Reactions: Bull81
    For inside the amp is the best and I really want one after seeing the Aztec video. Looks collar than hell.

I have an Annie and it’s great but it does put off some smoke that I’m not sure of, I take it outside for the 10 minutes it takes to do a 100 rounds. Have to tempilaq but it’s easier than a flame annealer

If you’re churning out thousands the Annie outfitted giraud seems to be the best bulk system as far as I can tell. There was also photos of a hoper system for the amp but who knows when they will actually appear on the streets

I like my Annie. Use it in the garage with a small fan to blow the smoke away. I anneal every time because of the ease and consistency. As far as being able to tell how long to anneal, I found that turning off the lights a looking for the faint glow is the best way to judge dwell time.
    On another note, I’ve found that the customer service from the makers of the Annie has been excellent. I very much like induction method of annealing because of the ease and consistency.

It doesn't hurt to anneal every time if you have the time to add it to your loading process. I shoot multiple disciplines and have "experimented" to the point of having a feel of which games I should anneal every time and which only require it every two or three times. And, before anyone gets wadded up over that statement, it is purely my subjective (lucky shirt) mind at work.
    As for which annealer, I use Bench Source because I like to see the necks and how they take heat. If I were not interested in anything but "plug & play" annealing it would be the AMP all the way.

Reactions: diverdon
    Obviously won't hurt anything, but don't automatically think you have to anneal. I have in the past, but honestly saw no changes. So I don't make it part of my normal process. My unannealed 20th fired Lapua brass still holds 1/3 moa out to 500 yards or more and has single digit st devs just like it did on its 3rd firing. Cheaper brass may differ...drastically.

My best advice to any reloader is to take a scientific approach. Test things for yourself and resist changing more than one variable at a time.

Agree with Marksman above. I don't anneal, because I just don't want to add one more thing to my reloading routine. YMMV. I try to avoid work-hardening brass, which is the only reason to anneal, by collet-sizing Lapua brass as many times as possible before full-length sizing is necessary. I think the details of your chamber dimensions, brass quality, and how hard you are pushing loads are variables that make it impossible to state a one-size-fits all rule for annealing frequency. When in doubt I throw it out. My time is worth more than extending the brass life from x to 2x.

Last edited:
    I bought an Annie a couple of weeks ago but haven't even plugged it in yet. Weather and work have kept my shooting and reloading time to a minimum. What kind of time will I set initially for my 6.5 CM and .308's? I have the 750F Tempilaq. And, how much smoke are we talking? I'd like to use it in my reloading room in the house. Sorry OP to derail a bit.

I just decided to begin annealing after many years of not doing it. I've watched a couple of my friends SD's stay very low after many reloads on some everyday brass that I would have probably tossed. Accuracy stayed better also. We compete in a club - basically shooting groups out to 1300 yds with various set ups. Annealing never really mattered much to me when our range was limited to 700 yds but when that nearly doubled, I began paying to have my cases annealed after 4 firings. That was the point (5th firing) where I started to see my accuracy fall off and I believe it was due to my SD's since vertical was the biggest issue. I then began having them annealed after the 3rd firing and the results were significant. Less vertical and just better groups all around.

I bought the Annie but everyone else around here uses a torch of one type or the other. They are waiting (a bit skeptically I think) to see me use the Annie. I will only be doing 60 rounds or so at a time and the manufacturer told me it would suit that application easily. I'll report my results after I get some experience with it and the weather gets a bit warmer/dryer to go to the range. My .02...

I bought an Annie a couple of weeks ago but haven't even plugged it in yet. Weather and work have kept my shooting and reloading time to a minimum. What kind of time will I set initially for my 6.5 CM and .308's? I have the 750F Tempilaq. And, how much smoke are we talking? I'd like to use it in my reloading room in the house. Sorry OP to derail a bit.

I just decided to begin annealing after many years of not doing it. I've watched a couple of my friends SD's stay very low after many reloads on some everyday brass that I would have probably tossed. Accuracy stayed better also. We compete in a club - basically shooting groups out to 1300 yds with various set ups. Annealing never really mattered much to me when our range was limited to 700 yds but when that nearly doubled, I began paying to have my cases annealed after 4 firings. That was the point (5th firing) where I started to see my accuracy fall off and I believe it was due to my SD's since vertical was the biggest issue. I then began having them annealed after the 3rd firing and the results were significant. Less vertical and just better groups all around.

I bought the Annie but everyone else around here uses a torch of one type or the other. They are waiting (a bit skeptically I think) to see me use the Annie. I will only be doing 60 rounds or so at a time and the manufacturer told me it would suit that application easily. I'll report my results after I get some experience with it and the weather gets a bit warmer/dryer to go to the range. My .02...

The time on the annie can vary a bit based on a couple things.

• 1) Coil Halves-
    You will get 4 coil halves (2 red, 1 blue, 1 yellow) and the different combinations of those halves will allow you to set different widths. Each color is a different height and creats a different sized gap for the case to sit in.​
    For my 300 BO and 223 I use 1 red half and 1 yellow half. For 6xc, 270, 3006 I use both red halves.​

For 223/300 BO RP and Federal brass using the red and yellow halves I get a time of 1.2 seconds.​
    I have only tested one combination in multiple half set ups; the RP 223 brass is 1.2 seconds on the skinny R&Y and 1.5 seconds on the wider R&R set up. So the wider channel dilutes the field and takes longer.​

For 223 Lapua in the R&Y set up its 1.5 seconds, so the Lapua takes .3 seconds longer to heat to the same point as the RP brass.​
    • 2) Positioning of the case inside the work coil gap
    I can hold the case deeper into the gap or shallower. I started with the center of the neck in the middle of the field, this caused the neck to heat up real quick but left the shoulder under annealed. I have found that the larger the case gets the further down the neck and into the shoulder the case needs to be positioned.​
    For my super short 300 BO cases I hold it so that the top of the neck extends half way into the jaws. I do this so that I dont get very much energy going into the base body and case head on those tiny cases. I have tested with 450 tempilaq on the body and it doesnt get that hot that low but Im not one to push stuff.​
    On 223 I started by placing the middle of the necks in middle of the gap and noticed that the heat wasnt going all the way down the shoulders. Pushing the case deeper into the field so that the neck shoulder junction is what I place in the middle (move the shoulder deeper into the field) has shifted the energy so that the shoulders and neck are now both turning the tempilaq at the same time.​
    For 270win winchester cases which have a long neck and shallow shoulder I found that I actually have to put the middle of the shoulder in the middle of the gap to time it so that both the neck and shoulders all the way down turn at the same time. This particular case takes 3 seconds with the R&R jaws.​
    My 6xc norma brass uses the same R&R jaw combo as the 270 but it only takes 2.5 seconds and I put the neck shoulder junction in the middle instead of half way down the shoulder. The shoulder is steeper so it puts more of that material closer to the middle of the field.​
    My 3006 RP brass is the same set up as the 270 but it is only 2.8 seconds I think (havent done this since the beginning of deer season so the details are foggy)​
    So... if I were a betting man you will want to use both red jaw halves and it would be anywhere from 2.3-2.8 seconds for a creed case. Apply the tempilaq to a hand full of cases and test. You might be inclined to paint it all on thick but thats not required. A light coat will go on almost transparent but then it dries it will turn to the white/green chalky seafoam shade look, the thicker it is the greener it looks, the wetter it is the greener it looks. The thinner the coat the more responsive it is to the temp change. When it heats up and hits the temp it turns back to the clearish liquid.
    If you heat one case with the end of the neck in the gap you will see that the neck tempilaq turns from the end of it and slowly works back towards the body, by doing this you can see how the heat is traveling down into the case. If you put the shoulder in the middle you will see how the shoulder will take a bunch of the heat and slowly but it will quickly migrate into the neck all of the sudden.

In this pic each painted 223 case is .1 seconds apart gaining time as you move tot he right. (large jaw set up used here which is what the testing times are different from my above listed recipe for the narrow jaw set up)
    1.5 (left most pair) didnt do anything, 1.6 (second pair) didnt do much but you can see that it kind of sort of started to turn a bit. Its not quite as white. The 1.7 had the tempilaq just starting to turn from the white/green to clearish down the whole neck but is only just getting to the shoulder body junction. 1.8 seconds (visually inline with the power switch) finally went all the way down the case shoulder and turned into the case body as evidenced by the tempilaq turning into the dark green color that happens as it turns. 1.9 shows that the tempilaq has gotten to temp down past the shoulder and into the case body and 2.0 looks pretty close to the 1.9 and I assume the leveling out is due to the case body having a higher capacity to absorb more heat that the shoulders and neck thus reducing the amount of change.

1516910834835.png

I think thats enough typing for now as my mind is starting to talk itself in circles. Any more questions, just fire away.

That’s a very good description, Spife. That is very close to my findings as to time and distance to run the brass in between the halves. However I gave up on Tempilaq and just turn off the lights and watch for the faint glow. For the smoke, I just use a small fan to blow it away from my face.

takes me less than 5 minutes per 50pcs to get my set up going and to anneal all 50pcs and is why I really don't mind annealing every single reload.. My DIY set up cost about $100 if you like to tinker. I've annealed 1000's of cases and it is just like the day I made it. No issues at all and very very consistent annealing. I usually reload in 50pcs for large cartridges and 100pcs for .223 so for me to anneal every time is no issue. Hope this helps: