• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

SKS, Long Range?

ZakBradshaw

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2009
Fort Worth, Texas
I am just curious... How accurate is an SKS (Yugo to be specific), and at what distance? I'm asking because I have a Yugo SKS, and I have seen alot of people mount scopes and bipods on them, and wondering how good they would be, say at 300-500 yards? Zak.

Re: SKS, Long Range?

I have had two SKS rifle the first one I sold but I could shot drink cans out to about 150y when someone called the impact and I got drop right. This was setting with my back against the trie of the truck with both legs bent. I have no doubt 300-500 would be doable. Also the rear sight with 100y adjustments seemed to be really close on that rifle. My new one is a Norico SKS/D (i think) it take the standard AK mag's in place of the duck billed mag's the regular SKS uses. I have had it out past about 40 yards yet.

How big is the target?
The mounts for optics are not stable platforms from what I've seen.
I have one that will shoot about 3-6 moa with irons depending on the ammunition that I've tried.
With a properly mounted scope I wouldn't be surprised if it held 1.5 moa with the right ammo.
The ballistics are not good for distance shooting but 400 yards should be doable if you spend the time with your rifle and get it squared away.
I seem to only want to devote time for my other rifles and so it sits.
It's future outlook does not look very good either.

I feel that the SKS is best left as it was originally designed.

Ive got about 4 moa at the best out of mine, but mines a chink gun. i wouldnt go try to shoot at 1000 yards wit one but minute of dirt bag accurate.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1/4 MOA easy. </div></div>

He might not have your kind of skill 858...... I would say 1/2 MOA.

Of course any rifle will shoot 1/4 moa with one shot.

Long range is a relative term and for the SKS it would begin after about 300 or so yards IMO.

I'd love to show up at a F-class match with one, keep a straight face, and plunk down into a hasty sling.
Then you get the biggest Chinese scope you can find and tape it to the forearm for effect.
Have your target puller give you nothing but tens and X's and then complain about that 9 you got on your last shot.

In my younger days I was an sks nut. have used just about every type of sks there is and had every type of scope mount, mag and stock combo you can think off.

Most telling thing I can say is I still own a few and intend to pass them on to my kids and nephews some day. I also keep them around for zombies and I am confident in my abilities to hit a man sized zombie out to 400 yrds with irons....providing they are fully exposed and moving slow enough for me to lay prone. But....they are all also in their as issued state. The sks is best in its original, iron sited and 10 round condition.

Shoot 3 5rd groups at 100 yards with the iron sights and take the average. That will give you an idea of what you and the rifle can do. The scope will allow you to see the target better but not make the rifle any more accurate. If you shoot an average of 4" at 100 yards then theoretically it should shoot into 12" at 300, it will only get better when you become a better shot or buy a more accurate rifle.

I can consistantly hit a 32oz gatorade bottle at 300yds with my yugo from a rest with handloaded hornady 123gr under xterminator. I have a home trigger job on it. I can shoot it better than my ar. the sight incriments are pretty accurate (in meters of course)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZakBradshaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am just curious... How accurate is an SKS (Yugo to be specific), and at what distance? I'm asking because I have a Yugo SKS, and I have seen alot of people mount scopes and bipods on them, and wondering how good they would be, say at 300-500 yards? Zak. </div></div>

I have a 4x on my russian, at 450 its almost minute of man (20+ inches)with wolf ammo. Under 250y it shoots great.

i have a 59/66, i run scopes on everything......i took it off of the sks, wasnt worth it.

out to 100 yards, good to go, much past that, negative. A red dot is just fine.

Most Yugo SKSs have somewhat rough barrels since they were the only ones without chrome lined bore and after years of corrosive ammo....you get the idea. 2" MOA is reasonable, but keep it around 300ish yd.

Take a close look at the gas valve, they can also be pitted and have blow by. Aftermarket valves are $20 or so.

59/66 are decent guns, but Norinco SKS will out shoot it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raihtrohs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surplus ammo is 2moa @100yrd. That's 4" @ 100yrd. </div></div>

2MOA is 2.1" @ 100 yards

To the OP, a scope on a SKS is like putting drag slicks on a Civic. Shoot it for what it is. Master it's irons. If you have, then when you step up to a better rifle with good optics those skills will translate.

Don't disgrace a durable combat rifle like an SKS or AK with a cheap optic.

Zak it just dawned on me your over on SKS boards...

lots of guys will tell you there as well, keep the SKS within reason, it wasnt made to reach out that far, 100-200 tops, i dont reach out farther then 150 with mine (1 no need, 2 i wouldnt trust it)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raihtrohs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surplus ammo is 2moa @100yrd. That's 4" @ 100yrd. </div></div>

2MOA is 2.1" @ 100 yards

To the OP, a scope on a SKS is like putting drag slicks on a Civic. Shoot it for what it is. Master it's irons. If you have, then when you step up to a better rifle with good optics those skills will translate.
Don't disgrace a durable combat rifle like an SKS or AK with a cheap optic. </div></div>

Surplus ammo 2moa @ 100yds that's 2moa on either side of the center of the bull right or wrong? One round impacts left 2moa the next round impacts 2moa high the next round impacts 2moa right. One round can be left 2.1 the next 2.1 right that's 4.2" @ 100yds. Right or wrong?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZakBradshaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am just curious... How accurate is an SKS (Yugo to be specific), and at what distance? I'm asking because I have a Yugo SKS, and I have seen alot of people mount scopes and bipods on them, and wondering how good they would be, say at 300-500 yards? Zak. </div></div>

Those are minute of man to about 400 yds, they were never intended to be otherwise. That said, there were a limited few in the 60's that were fitted with 4X glass and used very well with in the confines of heavy cover.
The SKS would shoot tighter than the AK's iron for iron but would not stand the abuse the AK would. Both were better than their operators most of the time, but once in awhile that rule was broken as well.

Commie weapons, thinking, an tactics differ from ours, and I've seen many times over, they were both wrong. Each weapon has a slot to fill in a battle plan, problem is, most of the time the weapon an plan don't jive, after first contact.
You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit, but you can learn to deploy an use the shit, better than your enemy expects you to. Many had to learn that lesson the hard way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raihtrohs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raihtrohs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surplus ammo is 2moa @100yrd. That's 4" @ 100yrd. </div></div>

2MOA is 2.1" @ 100 yards

Don't disgrace a durable combat rifle like an SKS or AK with a cheap optic. </div></div>

Surplus ammo 2moa @ 100yds that's 2moa on either side of the center of the bull right or wrong? One round impacts left 2moa the next round impacts 2moa high the next round impacts 2moa right. One round can be left 2.1 the next 2.1 right that's 4.2" @ 100yds. Right or wrong?
</div></div>

LoneWolfUSMC has already corrected you.

Everyone has to learn but those that are still learning should stick to reading, or asking questions in an effort to preserve a semblance of information accuracy.

Surplus ammunition always shoots within X MOA and no better.