Slowly but surely planning a new rifle...

Tomekeuro85

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2007
Chicago Suburbs, IL
I want a 6 or 6.5mm bolt rifle...

Slowly getting there.

First I want to pick a caliber.

6.5 Creedmoor
6.5x47 lapua

Whats the costs and benefits of those cals?
Which would be best for lets say some whitetail and target shooting up to 300 yards.

Any similar calibers?

Thanks!

Re: Slowly but surely planning a new rifle...

I'm pretty open at this point.

I want the most accurate possible but without paying a ridiculous amount for ammo components.

So Something relatively low cost also...

Eats them for breakfast. Can expect 1k-2.5k barrel life. If you're shooting to 300 yards pick one of the 3 you have listed and go with it. Those 3 are almost identical other then brass components, amount of powder they can hold, and velocities (but they don't differ a significant amount)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: (pink)MiST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eats them for breakfast. Can expect 1k-2.5k barrel life. If you're shooting to 300 yards pick one of the 3 you have listed and go with it. Those 3 are almost identical other then brass components, amount of powder they can hold, and velocities (but they don't differ a significant amount) </div></div>
the 3 he has listed also dont get amazing barrel life. My opinion is build a .308 or .223 bolt gun, lots of barrel life and relatively inexpensive to shoot.

I have a .223, But I need a deer capable rifle.

I had a .308 but I think I want to go with something in the 6.5 range.

I think its gona be either 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5x47 Lapua.

Does anyone have experience in comparisons between the two?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a .223, But I need a deer capable rifle.

Does anyone have experience in comparisons between the two? </div></div>
Dude, you cant complain about barrel burners then say you want a 6.5mm cartridge. If your really going to go with a barrel burner id just get the .243 and push out those DTACs as fast as you can. But IMHO if your only shooting at 300yds id just get a .308 or .223 and be done with it. .223 is deer capable at 300yds.

Search and you'll find lots of comparisons between the 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmor, and the 260. Not an awful lot of difference between them. The lapua cartridge obviously has lapua brass available which is nice. The 260 has the most case capacity. Pro's and con's with each of them and there is no clear winner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a .223, But I need a deer capable rifle.

Does anyone have experience in comparisons between the two? </div></div>
Dude, you cant complain about barrel burners then say you want a 6.5mm cartridge. If your really going to go with a barrel burner id just get the .243 and push out those DTACs as fast as you can. But IMHO if your only shooting at 300yds id just get a .308 or .223 and be done with it. .223 is deer capable at 300yds. </div></div>

223 is not deer legal in all states and personally I'd stick to 6mm (243) and above for taking medium sized game.

I was very recently in your same position and looking at the very same calibers. I actually have a thread on it somewhere. You'll get lots of opinions because asking for advice on a specific caliber is almost as bad as asking someone what's better, "ford or chevy". The people that don't have much to say about the 6 and the 6.5's are usually people that don't have one or don't know much about them. People are going to recommend what the know....they know .243, .223, and .308. They are all great, but others are great too, just a little less known. I have really taken a liking to the 6.5x47 Lapua. I have 1of them now, just bought a second, and I also have a 6x47 Lapua. The other posters are right that they are all very similar in many ways. I just like the 6.5x47L with the 130-140 grain Bergers. It's awesome for long range coyote, deer, and even adequate for elk with proper shot placement. Also, you have Lapua brass that does not have to be re-sized. The Lapua brass is great and 2-3 boxes of brass will last as long as your barrel will. It ain't cheap though initially at $89-$99 a box/100. My vote would be 6.5 Lapua or 6.5 Creed.

why not do a 6.5-284 if your after a smoking rifle.

I shoot a .243 and I love it, low recoil, cheap to shoot, if its a barrel burner get a savage and buy 2 mcgowen barrels. 115 dtacs will kill it all.