• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site Updates Coming Soon - We're Updating The Homepage!

We've got some exciting changes coming, check the thread below for more info!

VIEW THREAD

Sidearms & Scatterguns Small fixed blade knife for everyday use/carry

jg6.5

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2017
Oklahoma
I'm tossing around the idea of carrying a small fixed blade knife in lieu of a folder, anyone out there doing this? What carry method seems to be most comfortable for those of you that do (IWB, pocket, horizontal OWB, etc.)?

A few that I have in mind would be an Esee Candiru (maybe even an Izula, but that's getting a little big IMO) or a Boker Gnome, but I'm open to suggestions. Primarily for utilitarian use like opening boxes, cutting rope/strapping.

the Izula is a comfortable size to carry vertical OWB ( i dont even notice it honestly).......i really wouldnt want to go any smaller than that.....

Reactions: abizdafuzz
the Izula is a comfortable size to carry vertical OWB ( i dont even notice it honestly).......i really wouldnt want to go any smaller than that.....
Izula II is my EDC knife. Small enough to be comfortable, big enough to do work. I wear it horizontally up near my belt buckle.

I'm assuming you guys just use the sheath that came with it? Or did you make/have someone make a custom for it?

Yes, the stock plastic sheath is quite sufficient. I used 550 cord and a cord lock to attach it to my belt (standard BDU style belt) and it works well. Don't even notice it proned out.

Yup,stock sheath is actually pretty good, I just use the included belt clip and wear mine at 8:00

I actually been toying with the idea of making Kydex sheath with a pocket clip, so I can carry it like my folders

I have been carrying an Al Mar Eagle Talon for years. I like this model because it's blade is just under 4" long, and the knife is very thin, and that allows it to be carried along side of my walled without feeling like I have a large dowel in my pocket. Most folding knives are so thick that they create an uncomfortable lump, the Al Mar Eagle does not do that.

Vertical OWB CRKT Hunt & Fisch.
1519876138153.png

Fixed blades are my stock in trade. By dictate of my faith I have one on my person at all times, sometimes traditional, but more often than not modern designs without the "Punjabi Sam Browne." Usually it's a Spyderco Street Beat, or a Böker Trigonaut if there's a strong possibility of detection and confiscation. An Izula-II is always around my neck.

I do/have done this a couple of ways. Local laws are a concern of course. Here pretty much anything goes.

I’m into bushcraft and fell in love with Mora knives and Scandinavia style dangler sheaths. Did that every day for a while. Currently I carry an Openel no8 folder in my pocket (these things are delicate and slow but freakin razors when sharpened right) and a little CRKT KISS on my neck to serve for whatever I don’t want to use my little French razor for.

I have carried a fixed blade for a couple years now. I really like this option, because deployment is much quicker. I carry IWB at the 3 o'clock position. The only thing is sometimes when someone sees you pull a knife out, they give you that look, like did you really just pull a knife out of your pants... I've been using the two primarily. The Sosby Spike (Instagram guy) and The Flagrant Beard Havoc. Both are stellar and very comfortable to carry. I usually forget they are. The Sosby is my favorite, check the pics. I like pointy things. One of the best sheaths I've ever used for anything. I think Veil Solutions made the sheaths for this specific knife. The total package size with the sheath on is 7.5"

Attachments

• IMG_1400.JPG
    IMG_1400.JPG
    552.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1401.JPG
    IMG_1401.JPG
    556.7 KB · Views: 63
LOL, he just needs it as a tool for everyday tasks and you guys go operator as fuck. I'm think small traditional knife that has easy to sharpen stainless. Check out Smokey Mountain and look at some traditional 3.5" skinner plain edge. This thread is the typical brand mentality BS so typical here.

LOL, he just needs it as a tool for everyday tasks and you guys go operator as fuck. I'm think small traditional knife that has easy to sharpen stainless. Check out Smokey Mountain and look at some traditional 3.5" skinner plain edge. This thread is the typical brand mentality BS so typical here.

LOL, The Spike is actually a 3.5" blade. It's very small. And the Havoc is even smaller than that, and they both have plain edges... I guarantee a skinner would be a bigger package than both the knives I mentioned and less comfortable. And both blade are easily maintainable carbon steel. Just saying

I have been carrying a Chris Reeve fixed blade in a Kydex sheath. It is forget you have it light at 4 OZ with sheath, excellent steel and overall about 8-9" long. Discontinued model called "Professional" I think. It is the one with no handle material other than 1/8" thick full tang no hilt. I like it better than my Randall Triathlete due to thinner blade stock and better designed sheath. It has longer blade, is more compact and lighter.

Not sure if it fits you’re requirements, but I’ve been looking at the Falkniven S1 for work & EDC. It may a bit on the large side but it is made of VG 10 steel.

*Again, be sure you’re local laws will allow this before purchasing.

Not sure if it fits you’re requirements, but I’ve been looking at the Falkniven S1 for work & EDC. It may a bit on the large side but it is made of VG 10 steel.

*Again, be sure you’re local laws will allow this before purchasing.

Yeah, that's getting a little long...thanks for the input though. As for the law, it didn't occur to me to look that up until after the fact. OK is kind of vague about it (fixed blades, that is...everyone and their dog carries pocket knives around here), but given the rural nature of this state I highly doubt a LEO is going to give a person a hard time over a "small" fixed blade.

I have been carrying a Chris Reeve fixed blade in a Kydex sheath. It is forget you have it light at 4 OZ with sheath, excellent steel and overall about 8-9" long. Discontinued model called "Professional" I think. It is the one with no handle material other than 1/8" thick full tang no hilt. I like it better than my Randall Triathlete due to thinner blade stock and better designed sheath. It has longer blade, is more compact and lighter.

I have been following this thread as I'm looking for a similar blade...I have to say I'm really liking the Chris Reeve Professional. I'm going to have to find one of these : )
Thanks!
DW

They break and a just a small step above Bark River.

Culpepper,

You are having issues with Reeve knife? I like mine but have not really used it a great deal. It holds an edge well and carries nicely. Can you provide details?
Thanks
RTH

I'm going off how easy it was to break two Reeve Green Beret knives under torture tests but these broke under no torture and the second one that broke was provided by Reeve. Reeve provided the second knife because they determined the first knife wasn't defective. The second knife had a similar catastrophic failure. To be fair, Reeve did suspect the obvious and most likely fixed the problem. It was a while back and may no longer be relevant other than buyer beware when picking an important tool just for brand name. http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/05/27/knifetests-com-chris-reeve-gb-destruction-test/

Fixed blade or folders? Details on break? Location of break, etc. I have never broken a knife but I don't pry with them.

I'm going off how easy it was to break two Reeve Green Beret knives under torture tests but these broke under no torture and the second one that broke was provided by Reeve. Reeve provided the second knife because they determined the first knife wasn't defective. The second knife had a similar catastrophic failure. To be fair, Reeve did suspect the obvious and most likely fixed the problem. It was a while back and may no longer be relevant other than buyer beware when picking an important tool just for brand name. http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/05/27/knifetests-com-chris-reeve-gb-destruction-test/

I appreciate yours and everyone else input, but referring back to my original post, the intended purpose for this is not a survival knife. Opening boxes or other packing material is hardly tortuous to a knife.

I replied to the question asked not the OP. I gave practical advice to the OP in my first post. With few exceptions most are recommending BS. So don't motherfuck me out of context.

I appreciate yours and everyone else input, but referring back to my original post, the intended purpose for this is not a survival knife. Opening boxes or other packing material is hardly tortuous to a knife.

I'm cutting bindings ,rope and strapping quite often. I've found if my blade has a serrated edge, it makes the job much easier. My pocket knife has a partial serrated edge, and it's used mostly to cut rope and strapping.
Mike

Reactions: jg6.5
I'm cutting bindings ,rope and strapping quite often. I've found if my blade has a serrated edge, it makes the job much easier. My pocket knife has a partial serrated edge, and it's used mostly to cut rope and strapping.
Mike

So, does it do well cutting rope and strapping?

I replied to the question asked not the OP. I gave practical advice to the OP in my first post. With few exceptions most are recommending BS. So don't motherfuck me out of context.
which recommendations are BS?

guy wants a small fixed blade....and thats whats being suggested....i dont see anyone in here recommending kabars or anything absurd.

Yeah, the Izula I got in a box of Cracker Jacks is brilliant for cutting open cardboard boxes at my grocery store job. Ouch! Shit! I cut myself.

I carry a BK-11 quite a bit. Issue sheath with 550 cord and line loc. I put the sheath under the belt on my weakside oriented for a cross draw. Main reason for that is because I keep my strong side for the Glock.

4eC26Ux.jpg

Reactions: Mike 556
I'm tossing around the idea of carrying a small fixed blade knife in lieu of a folder, anyone out there doing this? What carry method seems to be most comfortable for those of you that do (IWB, pocket, horizontal OWB, etc.)?

A few that I have in mind would be an Esee Candiru (maybe even an Izula, but that's getting a little big IMO) or a Boker Gnome, but I'm open to suggestions. Primarily for utilitarian use like opening boxes, cutting rope/strapping.
I went to get the Candiru but after handling it and compared to the Izula, I walked out with the Izula. I carried it for a few years till I got just a little bigger custom knife from a local maker. The Izula with the clip and included sheath works ver well, lots of carry options. I mainly kept it on strong side next to my multi tool. Very light and discreet.

I've been carrying a Spartan Enyo IWB for the last 3 years. It's very light and carries like it's not there all day.

Small piece I picked up 4-5 years back. Carry a folder every day, but this works in other carry circumstances. Friend wrapped it, but might redo with thinner cord. Good edge.C00E7716-15E6-4C02-A4D1-E64BF98B8D5F.jpeg96858FFA-CFE1-4231-B046-D86B3FF0FF70.jpeg

Hell, that could be my next Custom User Title!

:ROFLMAO:
Odd I didn't notice this earlier... my wife picked one up for me when she got a edc tool from Readyman. I told her in passing that I was looking for a karambit to carry again. I swear the sheath is left handed! ? I'm getting used to it though. So far so good
image.jpg

image.jpg
I work with my father in law every day. It took him a week to notice I carried it and only then because I pulled it out to use.

Reactions: Mike 556