• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

So, I did a thing...

Am I crazy?

• Not crazy! Full send!

• You're as crazy as a cat lady!

Results are only viewable after voting.

3-0-hate

Captain Nimcompoop
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
Lost in Idaho...
I'm adding a poll to determine whether or not my idea is crazy.

51397387272_c08d3f1034_z.jpg

Cabela's is running a sale on the Savage Axis XP, now normally I would turn my nose up at a rifle like this, but I have a bit of a hair up my ass lately to build an 8mm Mauser chambered pseudo budget precision hunting rifle. I figured with this kind of deal, it makes sense.. So I ordered a rifle in 30.06, I paid $310 for it on sale, Vista Outdoors will be sending me a $50 rebate, I finally signed up for their CC which gave me another $20 in club points to use, and I had a $50 gift card to burn also. Total price after club points and rebate put this rifle right at $190.

So sub $200 for a savage action, I figure I could get a couple dollars out of the factory 30.06 barrel and maybe the stock because its camo, I will use the scope it comes with as a trade in for a new optic with Cabela's under their trade in deal, which will save me $40-$60 depending on what I decide to top it with. I will likely order a Pac-Nor barrel for it and toss it in an MDT LSS or ORYX chassis, add a Timney trigger and call it a day.

So am I crazy or should I go full send?

Reactions: 0Buck
Oh sweet jesus...another "what's wrong with a Savage post". 80% of the Hide will say you are throwing your money away. The rest will say have fun. At least with the barrel you can move it to a nicer action later.

The worst part of an Axis is the cheap recoil tab and firing pin/spring design. The 2nd worst thing is the bolt handle relief sucks and will hit any real scope if you try to mount it low. I would give it a shot with the plastic stock first and then see if you want to throw another $400 into an Oryx.

Personal satisfaction is what's important. Individual taste enters in and whether or not one has the cash for the final choice. Savage is not my choice, but it sounds like you got a good deal. You'll learn a lot with your project.

Reactions: 0Buck and 3-0-hate
Personal satisfaction is what's important. Individual taste enters in and whether or not one has the cash for the final choice. Savage is not my choice, but it sounds like you got a good deal. You'll learn a lot with your project.
Thanks.
This is not my first money pit rifle either. That honor goes to my VZ.24 Mauser that is now a 7mag with a Shilen barrel, custom stock, fancy trigger, etc. etc.

I think I just hate money. 😂

Last edited:

Cabela's is running a sale on the Savage Axis XP, now normally I would turn my nose up at a rifle like this, but I have a bit of a hair up my ass lately to build an 8mm Mauser chambered pseudo budget precision hunting rifle. I figured with this kind of deal, it makes sense.. So I ordered a rifle in 30.06, I paid $310 for it on sale, Vista Outdoors will be sending me a $50 rebate, I finally signed up for their CC which gave me another $20 in club points to use, and I had a $50 gift card to burn also. Total price after club points and rebate put this rifle right at $190.

So sub $200 for a savage action, I figure I could get a couple dollars out of the factory 30.06 barrel and maybe the stock because its camo, I will use the scope it comes with as a trade in for a new optic with Cabela's under their trade in deal, which will save me $40-$60 depending on what I decide to top it with. I will likely order a Pac-Nor barrel for it and toss it in an MDT LSS or ORYX chassis, add a Timney trigger and call it a day.

Come on, Man. Have some self respect!

I did the same thing with sale they did last Christmas to get a donor rifle to rebarrel in 6.8spc. Shot a fantastic group with some plinker AR reloads, but I credit the ARP barrel, not Savage.

20210401_213724.jpg

The struggle with the firing pin/spring is real.

And yes, WTF is going on with that scope?

20210401_175844.jpg

Do plan to do a different stock, probably something wood. And definitely a different scope. Long-term project...

Resale on that sweet piece is going to be tits!

Why is this always the comment?

I personally would never expect to resell an 8mm Mauser anything in this day and age.

I also build and buy rifles to use. I want them for a purpose, not to trade or resell later. If I want another rifle I'll just buy another rifle. If I want to change calibers I'll buy a barrel, maybe an extra bolt, and be cheaper than a new rifle anyways.

He's got a $200 action. He can throw it away when the barrel is shot out and not feel bad at all.

My Dad built a 6.5x55 hunting rifle on a Savage 110 action.
He used a McGowen barrel. That thing is stupid accurate and carries nicely.
A friend of mine fills his deer tag every year with a remington 710 in .243.

Reactions: 3-0-hate
My question is why...? Why spend all the time and effort of buying it to completely scrap everything but the action to build a new rifle...? I'm not gonna get into bashing any brands but your buying something to use 10% of it hoping to sell off all the parts you don't want to replace with better parts. After everything is said and done with time/effort and money what's the advantage...?

Reactions: billt
My question is why...? Why spend all the time and effort of buying it to completely scrap everything but the action to build a new rifle...? I'm not gonna get into bashing any brands but your buying something to use 10% of it hoping to sell off all the parts you don't want to replace with better parts. After everything is said and done with time/effort and money what's the advantage...?
What’s the point of pouring money into classic or fun cars?

You’re never going to get out of it what you put into it, but you might just have some fun along the way…

If I lived my life as a staunch pragmatist, I’d likely be miserable

What’s the point of pouring money into classic or fun cars?

You’re never going to get out of it what you put into it, but you might just have some fun along the way…

If I lived my life as a staunch pragmatist, I’d likely be miserable
It was a genuine question, classic cars are gone and not being built anymore and highly sought after for this reason quite a bit different than a box store $190 rifle. I'm asking why are you wanting to scrap 90% of a rifle to use maybe 10% of it instead of just buying all the parts you want from the get go and build it the way you want it...? I'm all for you having fun and doing whatever you want with your money just asking what's the advantage to what your doing here...?

It was a genuine question, classic cars are gone and not being built anymore and highly sought after for this reason quite a bit different than a box store $190 rifle. I'm asking why are you wanting to scrap 90% of a rifle to use maybe 10% of it instead of just buying all the parts you want from the get go and build it the way you want it...? I'm all for you having fun and doing whatever you want with your money just asking what's the advantage to what your doing here...?
Beause buying an action costs more than buying a rifle

You don't see why someone would want to upgrade a savage stock to an MDT chassis? Or why someone would have to get an aftermarket barrel because Savage doesn't make an 8mm?

You're legitimately asking?
Not at all Im asking why would you start with something your going to scrap 90% of the rifle, he's going to scrap the stock, the barrel, the scope / rings, trigger, basically everything to build what he wants. Why not find a cheaper used action, buy the parts you want, build your rifle, and not hope you get money out of the cheap stock savage parts your wanting to scrap...?

I would say it all depends on your expectations and what you want to use it for. I have a LA Stevens 200 that's in a better stock with CDI bottom metal and a better trigger. I have it to experiment with LA cartridges. I don't expect to compete with it and if it breaks at the range I can pretty much guarantee I'll have another rifle to shoot.

I kept the original .30/06 barrel and Tupperware stock as I'm sure when I get bored I can sell it to someone for $150.

Seems pretty obvious to me.

I'm baffled that your baffled.
LOL ok then just never heard of anyone buying a rifle to toss 90% of it and spend all the effort to build around an Axis action for what advantage...? Guess this is pretty common practices thats why the OP started a thread titled "So I did a thing am I crazy" with boxes for "Not crazy full send" or "Your as crazy as a cat lady"... Guess its obvious to everyone else.

No, you're right. Good point.

The fact that he paid $200 for the action, 500 for the barrel, 500 for the chassis but then he can't sell it for more than $600 totally justifies how losing $600 because of, ...in some mythical parallel universe where he also bought an AI that never happened he might lose as much or more.... means....fuck I'm lost in that convoluted logic......what?
1: He is going to shoot out the barrel so how is that lost money? 2: He can sell the stock separately or use it on another build. 3: I bet you're the kind of guy that has his furniture covered in plastic to preserve "the resale value" . 4: go be poor somewhere else.

Reposted from the Savage hate thread:

I cut my long distance teeth on a bare bones .308 10 FP fitted with a harris pod and a 10 x SFWA. Shooting 155 Lapua Scenars it was not long before I was making hits at 1000 yards at Pawnee grassland on an idpa silhouette.

Later I added a lift kit, AI chassis, tbac can, atlas pod and a Gen II razor scope and was easily hitting 1160 steel here in Wyomings harsh climate. I dubbed it “Geromino”. It was also my backup hunting rifle. I LOVED that thing. At around 5000 rnds I burned out the barrel. I ran those scenars a bit hot. Next up I ordered a 6.5 cm barrel.

Life happens and in 2019 I needed some cash so I parted her out. I still miss that rig. I had no complaints. Geronimo served me more than well......

A Rem 700 6.5 cm is now in its place now, mainly because of availability after market for the 700.

1D5AAB40-695C-46E5-B627-20E91AFE9846.jpeg

Reactions: camocorvette
CZ457. Started off as a CZ Scout. Sold the barrel and stock. Added a $15 trigger spring. $650 Proof barrel, $800 MPA chassis.

You ever see CZ sell a 457 with a carbon barrel in an MPA chassis? Me neither. Only one way to get there. Action ended up costing me about $285.

View attachment 7690865
View attachment 7690863

Tikka T3. Bought a donor rifle for $500. Sold the stock and magazines. Barrel is in a corner somewhere bc I couldn't sell it for $35. (True story, literally garbage). Put a W3 chassis on it. I have 4 barrels for it. Ever see a Tikka T3 in a KRG chassis chambered in 22BR, 22 Creedmoor, and 6.5 SST? Me neither. Only one way to get there
View attachment 7690866

Here's an AT I paid $3K for, melted out of the chassis, put a Comp trigger on for $400, put in a $1300 MPA, sold that and then put in a $2500 AO AI chassis. I think I've got about $12K in it right now. I basically paid $3K for an action
View attachment 7690868

I just never did it on a Savage in 8mm mauser
View attachment 7690875

@Im2bent you came in half-cocked, didn't understand the point, and went high and right. Your avatar is spot on.
Dude your still not getting my point and apparently your not going to, your above crap has absolutely no relevance to my point your not grasping. Your comparing buying very nice very reliable systems and upgrading to buying a $190 box store rifle and trying to replace everything on it to make it a decent rifle. CZ Action, Tikka Action, AI Action and your saying that's the same thing as dumping a bunch of money into a $190 Savage... Ok buddy 😂😂😂

Last edited:
Even my broke ass knows better than to post a Savage here, but I’m a fan of the Slam Pig mentality.

just know this was $4 after a $50 rebate and you can’t beat me, but you are welcome to join me

first group was under an inch. I was amazed. Of course I was using top shelf Winchester Walmart ammo. I think it’s called “Super X” so you know it’s good.

Best of luck. Have fun and fuck these assholes. They can’t shoot anyway. They just post online because they don’t know how to read on the toilet. 😎👍

844447B5-7D5C-47A4-BDF3-4CF4E0A0B05B.jpeg

22569698-D0A9-4DCC-8B60-E12A764E6FFA.jpeg

if that is what you feel comfortable buying then best of luck to you I saw people making great shots with cheap rifles at the range I personally think they are cooking there barrels after 10 shot string after 10 shot string then another 10 shot string , but if they are happy and they spent there own money god bless them .

I have a Savage Axis .223. It's been more accurate on even cheapo range ammo than any gun should be. They're fine for hunting.

I did do some stuff to the bolt to lighten the bolt operation and I added a Timney trigger, which wasn't as worth it as it should have been. Luckily I got it brand new for 50% off by chance in a clearance bin at a gun store I happened to stop at.

Your first post was about scrapping 90% of a rifle in order to rebuild it. Then I challenge you on why that's difficult to understand. Then you change your tune to why do it with a savage. To which I agree, but I'm still going to make the point that your first argument is stupid.

I'm not comparing those rifles to a savage. I'm demonstrating why people buy donor rifles. Which you first objected to. I clearly differentiate my rifles to what the OP is doing by stating, I've never done it with a Savage. Not excusing that. But you just never keep up.
Never rejected to buying a donor rifle I asked which still has not been answered by you or the OP what's the advantage...? Why are you buying something cheap to replace everything on it? If you want a cheap gun great, buy a cheap gun and shoot it, but if you're gonna replace everything on it what's the point. Never changed my tune I was asking what's the advantage on this exact scenario not every donor rifle ever built.

Last edited: