• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

So, I did a thing...

Am I crazy?

• Not crazy! Full send!

• You're as crazy as a cat lady!

Results are only viewable after voting.
tell me you're gay without telling me you're gay....

just kidding guy...kinda.... good luck with it. hope it comes together like you're wanting.

I love donor guns builds. Always learn something, more tools in mental toolbox. All together, it’s cheap knowledge and satisfaction. No need to be bubble wrapped our whole lives.

I figure if I sell the factory pets I don’t need/want, I’ll probably be into the action for just a few bucks if not for free.
A free action is a great starting point, even if it is an Axis

In my opinion, the issue here is that you may be planning on selling the stock and barrel to justify it. Nobody will "upgrade" a stock savage with stock savage parts. I've been down the road of trying to sell an Accustock from a Savage 10PC and it becomes a giveaway.

I think you should settle on the fact you have a $190 in the action and go from there. If it still makes sense then I say go for it. The savage that I have I left all stock. It has had the factory barrel cut down to 16.5". I reload for it and it shoots under 1MOA. My son used it in 2020 and took a 163" buck at 326 yards. They work and you don't need sub 1/2 MOA for a hunting rig.

Reactions: Im2bent
Buddy had a savage axis, tried to put lipstick on a pig by replacing the barrel and stock but it never shot well and had ejection issues. He ended up deciding to build a custom and permanently converted the Savage to a smokeless muzzleloader which eliminated the ejection issue by replacing the bolt head.

A number of years ago we purchased a savage axis in 223 to do a switch barrel 300 blk. The plan was to put on a 16" 300 blk barrel so we could suppress it for deer hunting. Before swapping the barrel we decided to shoot our normal handloads thru it just for kicks. That rifle ended up shooting consistent 0.6" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. For the price we decided to keep the rifle as is and buy another one.

At the time walmart was selling them for $280 with a cheap bushnell 3-9 scope on it. So we tried the second one and it also shot right at half moa. I kept that one and we bought a 3rd one. It also shot under 1 moa. I then went and purchased a youth model for my son and its best group with Barnes 62 grain TSX was 0.208" but averages 0.65". We decided to take the worst shooting one, that was still sub-moa. And do the barrel swap.

I will admit, I really like some nice carbon fiber barrels,fancy actions. Etc. But sometimes it's hard to beat a cheap accurate rifle. I have some nice semi-custom rifles and I absolutely love them, but that doesn't mean that they always shoot better than some off the shelf rifles.

I say go for it! I'm really interested in how it turns out! I look forward to reading all about it!

I'm adding a poll to determine whether or not my idea is crazy.

51397387272_c08d3f1034_z.jpg

Cabela's is running a sale on the Savage Axis XP, now normally I would turn my nose up at a rifle like this, but I have a bit of a hair up my ass lately to build an 8mm Mauser chambered pseudo budget precision hunting rifle. I figured with this kind of deal, it makes sense.. So I ordered a rifle in 30.06, I paid $310 for it on sale, Vista Outdoors will be sending me a $50 rebate, I finally signed up for their CC which gave me another $20 in club points to use, and I had a $50 gift card to burn also. Total price after club points and rebate put this rifle right at $190.

So sub $200 for a savage action, I figure I could get a couple dollars out of the factory 30.06 barrel and maybe the stock because its camo, I will use the scope it comes with as a trade in for a new optic with Cabela's under their trade in deal, which will save me $40-$60 depending on what I decide to top it with. I will likely order a Pac-Nor barrel for it and toss it in an MDT LSS or ORYX chassis, add a Timney trigger and call it a day.

So am I crazy or should I go full send?
I have many rifles and I have bought a Cabellas special on the Savage 12FV. After upgrading a bolt lift kit,doing a trigger job, upgrading to a Bell and Carlson stock, new extractor and ejector it shoots great for what it is. 6.5 creedmoorIt gives my custom Rem700 with over $2,500 invested in upgrades 6.5x47Lapua.

I love this form.You guy’s that keep bashing Savages get a little old for me not everyone is rich enough to buy high end .Some of the problems are real and can be easily overcome. I have 4 model 12 target actions all with custom barrels and expertly done chambering from my smith .You have know idea how much fun it is to kick the asses of many of the high end custom guns that my buddies shot .They hate the they got out shot with my Savages.My last switch barrel is a 6 BRA and 6 XC on a used110 elite precision action and MDT stock it rocks at less than have the price of my high end actions .
I agree I would not have gone as low end as his entry level rifle to do a build on but at least this guy is trying to get in the game.Build it and have fun ,if it shoots the others will shake there head as much as they do to me .Enjoy

I love this form.You guy’s that keep bashing Savages get a little old for me not everyone is rich enough to buy high end .Some of the problems are real and can be easily overcome. I have 4 model 12 target actions all with custom barrels and expertly done chambering from my smith .You have know idea how much fun it is to kick the asses of many of the high end custom guns that my buddies shot .They hate the they got out shot with my Savages.My last switch barrel is a 6 BRA and 6 XC on a used110 elite precision action and MDT stock it rocks at less than have the price of my high end actions .
I agree I would not have gone as low end as his entry level rifle to do a build on but at least this guy is trying to get in the game.Build it and have fun ,if it shoots the others will shake there head as much as they do to me .Enjoy
I appreciate to words, but I’m already in the game. This is just a fun side project because I tend to hate my money.
459FD671-03AD-479E-A34F-D242FAF6C6FC.jpeg
B354C747-C55E-4603-9864-42993AF54B99.jpeg
C7F7454C-A92A-43A1-9513-2A0E3F1339D5.jpeg

Cabela's is running a sale on the Savage Axis XP, now normally I would turn my nose up at a rifle like this, but I have a bit of a hair up my ass lately to build an 8mm Mauser chambered pseudo budget precision hunting rifle. I figured with this kind of deal, it makes sense.. So I ordered a rifle in 30.06, I paid $310 for it on sale, Vista Outdoors will be sending me a $50 rebate, I finally signed up for their CC which gave me another $20 in club points to use, and I had a $50 gift card to burn also. Total price after club points and rebate put this rifle right at $190.

So sub $200 for a savage action, I figure I could get a couple dollars out of the factory 30.06 barrel and maybe the stock because its camo, I will use the scope it comes with as a trade in for a new optic with Cabela's under their trade in deal, which will save me $40-$60 depending on what I decide to top it with. I will likely order a Pac-Nor barrel for it and toss it in an MDT LSS or ORYX chassis, add a Timney trigger and call it a day.

Got an Axis in 6.5 and have been perfectly happy with it for the price. It's sub-MOA with my reloads, just about to put a better scope on it and see what it will do. It led to my RPR in 6.5, now looking for the next step up.

Reactions: 19dsniper

I'm doing something similar with a mossberg patriot predator. I just can't find a replacement barrel, but definitely upgrading most things. Because I want to.

Good on you brother!

Reactions: 3-0-hate
My 2 cents is it’s your $. I hope you find a ton of enjoyment in the build and load development. Hoping it shoots lights out!!! And, it really is about delivering a bullet on target with enough accuracy to do its job. Looking forward to seeing pics of the build and final results of load dev.

Reactions: 3-0-hate