• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

So my GAP 6.5Creedmoor is out shooting my AXMC 338Lapua at distance... Update! (bottom of page 2)

Gun is back and the barrel is thicker for sure, but nothing crazy. Installed the AI competition trigger while I was at it. Hopefully will have some groups this weekend...

IMG_0601.JPG
IMG_0600.JPG

Reactions: pga43
Hi,

@regency
How slick of those concrete floors in your warehouse?

Sincerely,
Theis

Not sure what you mean by slick but the floors are scrubbed weekly with a wet brush vacuum unit made by Tennant, I would say the floors have really good traction. If you are wondering about bipod slip, the atlas rubber feet grab is like glue. I can push up on the gun and no slide...

Well she shoots better now. Shot a fouler shot since they had cleaned the barrel before shipping (round above the 5 shot group on the right), then punched 5 shots into around .6 MOA. The surprising thing is the 5 shots of factory Lapua ammo spit out a 10fps ES at about 60F but I know in the 90+ temps the ES opened up to 45fps on the old barrel with Lapua ammo.

Left group is a ladder test of .2 increments from 87gr to 89gr. Barrel is producing better flat spots as well. From 88.2 to 88.8 gr, there was a 14fps ES.
IMG_0643.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

Final results are in:

Unfortunately I only made 20 rounds because I didn't totally trust my reloads but after the fact, I think I am good to go now...

It was still shooting .5" groups at 100 yds, I laddered out to 570 then started to jump big in distance, this is the 2 shots at 570:

IMG_0672.JPG

Then I went out to 1,067yds to do some velocity and BC truing. I had to increase both a little, because I was hitting high in relation to point of aim. I was not intending the first shot to hit the head, but it looked cool at least. Finally got the elevation dialed in on the torso shot. Wind was a huge factor today. Consistent 8-12mph wind with gusts hitting up to 20+mph

IMG_0673.JPG

Then finally at 1,400yds with my kestrel was telling me to hold 1 to 1.2 mils right, I pulled these 2 shots off on my first go. I rested then by the time I tried a couple more at 1,400 the wind had gone nuts and the kestrel was dancing between a 1.2 - 2+ Mil hold. :rolleyes:

IMG_0675.JPG

I'm happy with everything now. Hopefully can go for it again when the winds are down in the 1-5 mph range.

A pic of my range in the summer. If any of you West or Middle TN folks want to come out, hit me up! I'm about a 25min southwest drive from K&M precision complex.

IMG_685D99ECAFDA-1.jpeg

Last edited:
Just a thought. I apologize if I missed this brought up already, how is the crown of the barrel? Had an old rifle you could physically see a "ding" in the crown. Very unpredictable when grouping.

Just a thought. I apologize if I missed this brought up already, how is the crown of the barrel? Had an old rifle you could physically see a "ding" in the crown. Very unpredictable when grouping.

The gun is shooting great now with the newer heavy barrel from AI. It can reliably hit the head of a 66% IPSC at 600yds and I'm ready to stretch out past my 1,400yd range now. I found a place on my property were I can get about a 1.3 mile shot.

Hmmmm....so obviously the barrel. Glad to hear you eliminated something, not what u wanted to find tho. Barrels can be replaced tho. If u investigate and find the problem please share. I would point a finger to the crown. I'm no expert by any means, just my opinion. I'm very curious for you to find out. Possibly scarred riflings????

This is a tough one for me, considering how much I spent on my AX but after several trips to the range, my GAP just flat out out shoots it on calm days and windy days.

I have fired factory and reloads through both. Both guns have single digit extreme spreads (reloads) on my Labradar, with the GA shooting 1/4-1/2 " groups and the AX shooting 1" to 1.5" groups at 100.

At 800yds GAP was 10/10, AX was 4/10
At 1100yds GAP was 10/10, AX was 2/10
At 1400yds GAP was 6/10, AX was 0/10

Vertical spread seems to be the same for both guns, considering the low ES. The problem is the 338 wants to shoot left and right of the targets while the 6.5 drills it every time until I get past 1200yds. Creedmoor is shooting a 140 berger hybrid at 2770fps and the 338 is shooting a hornady 285gr eld at 2735fps. The 338 is much more sensitive to wind in the field(it seems). Taking shots at 1400, the 338 misses by a much larger margin than the 6.5

When I get the time, I'm going to try some different bullets but was curious if anyone has experienced something like this with a bigger bore rifle compared to a PRS competition gun?
there is no compairing the two your simply looking to exault the creed if the creed was so great it would be winning f class matches and elr matches.

BAGWorks has it down. "Creed" sux - he knows a better route. We should never "exault" (a word?) the "creed". It wins nothing...
Your or is it you're wrong about all of this. Sorry OP.

Last edited:
Haters gonna hate :D
its not about hate its about bs when you camp
Haters gonna hate :D
its not about hate its about ignorance . if you compare 2 cartriges based on 2 builds that don't have the same built quality and developed accuracy levels they cant be compaired, its not the creed that shines its the lapua build that sucks