Something wrong with my AICS stock?

ego235

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2010
North Carolina
I'm a new guy on the forum, the last couple weeks I've been looking at the awesome Remington 700s with AICS stocks so I decided to order my own. The one I got from MidwayUSA seems to be a bit different in the front than the other ones I've seen. It seems to have the front adapter block that isn't flush with the rest of the stock, it sticks out about 2 inches forward. You can see when I attach the Atlas bi-pod it is noticeably forward of the fore-grip. Does anyone know how I can push this block back into fore-grip area so it is flush?

Here are some pics.

2uzp00j.jpg

2qnpc48.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Something wrong with my AICS stock?

It means you got a very new one. Something to do with a NV mount they have coming out. It's supposed to be that way, but I'm not sure I like it for 95% of the guys using AICS stocks don't care about a NV mount and it does look silly.

I'm sure someone here would trade you or send it back to Midway and ask them to pay shipping since it didn't match the one in their pictures. Then wait for a used one to pop up for sale here.

that is part of a night vision mount system. youre missing the piece that goes over/around the barrel that has the pic rail for the unit.. I forget who makes that one though

Thanks for the help guys, that explains it. I'm not a big fan of it either. It looks better being flush and I'm not going to install any night vision. I shoot mostly on benches, I'm afraid being this far forward will be too forward of the table. Anybody wanna trade for this with an older one let me know! I would return it otherwise but probably their other AICS stocks are the new ones too.

I would return it for a NEW one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Musef</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Thanks for the help guys, that explains it. I'm not a big fan of it either. It looks better being flush and I'm not going to install any night vision. I shoot mostly on benches, I'm afraid being this far forward will be too forward of the table. Anybody wanna trade for this with an older one let me know! I would return it otherwise but probably their other AICS stocks are the new ones too. </div></div>

I've got the old guts from an AICS when I installed the badger IMUNS. That should probably be all you'd need to make it like an older one. I don't really need that part since I already have a cool mount for NV, but I'm sure if someone does, they might be willing to trade just those forward bits.

M2008_Tightbore_308_Finished.jpg

It looks like its stuck pretty nicely in there. And from that spring latch, which I need for my Atlas bi-pod spigot, if I did manage to take it off, I wouldn't have the spring loaded adapter needed for the bi-pod...

It comes out real easy,
take out the 2 off cs'k/hd screws & remove the 5/16" spirol pin, pull the block forward & remove the sling loop, then pull the block full out.
Then get yourself AI PT.No.AI15-0585 fron AINA witch is the smaller non n/v mount.
Reverse the process to fit it but you will not need the 2 off screws.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bonneville</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It comes out real easy,
take out the 2 off cs'k/hd screws & remove the 5/16" spirol pin, pull the block forward & remove the sling loop, then pull the block full out.
Then get yourself AI PT.No.AI15-0585 fron AINA witch is the smaller non n/v mount.
Reverse the process to fit it but you will not need the 2 off screws. </div></div>

How much is this part?

bonneville, thanks for the instructions. I gave it a crack and tried to remove it. I removed some of the plastic stock's long screws first. Then saw the two slightly larger sized screws which were really hard to remove. As you can see from the picture, they had some kind of thread locker on them.

After this step what should I do? The block still seems to be stuck in there. I'm not sure how to remove that sling loop at the bottom of the picture. Is that the only remaining item holding it in place?

Also, as Black-X asked, do you have a link where we can buy the new non-n/v part?

i384ef.jpg

Hi
I should have said remove the stock side plastics,it is then easy to remove the screws.
Once you have the screws out you then remove the 5/16" spirol pin using a pin punch & the bottom slig point or harris bi-pod adaptor will come out from the under side if you have one.
pull the block forward until it stops(you could insert your bi-pod to help pull it forward)& remove the sling loop.IT Pushes thru' the chassis(you could put a small screw driver thu' the slingloop hole to help pull it out).I may be a bit stiff as it has a rubber pad under it.if the sling loop will not come out just move the block back & forth a little until you find the point it will come out.

Ah, you're referring to the rolled up aluminum pin that's directly above the sling mount by about 1/2", not where I just removed those two hard to remove screws. I'll need to get myself a pin punch for that size in order to do it safely, it looks pretty fragile and could be easily damaged if using an inappropriate tool.

To heck with trying to take that off and ordering another part. I just said screw it and bought a Harris bi-pod instead. Will return the Atlas, I found a loose leg on it anyway. Too bad, since the rest of it looked to be very well built, only thing was it didn't seem to have much pan and tilt.

The Harris will be mounted at the sling stud and be a little more table friendly too since it is farther back.

Removing the sling loop is greatly helped by a shot of WD40 to get the rubber pad under it to release.
That was a tip from AI that proved very valuable when I installed my IMUNS.