• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site Updates Coming Soon - We're Updating The Homepage!

We've got some exciting changes coming, check the thread below for more info!

VIEW THREAD

Spotter scope

I guess it depends on your game. For High Power Rifle I use mine all the time. For Long Range I don't use it all the time but it does show the target and mirage better.

I use mine every time I shoot. I’m addicted to phone scoping and with my S2 82 20-70 I can record ladder tests at 600 and keep track of each round without walking down and marking them. All my optics are 24-30 power on the top end but are nowhere near as nice as a good spotter. When you take pics you can zoom with your phone and get ALOT of extra zoomage. This pic is at 400 yards and I can zoom further in if needed on my phone.
93E8514A-B1A0-475B-B863-AAC4CA8D2721.png

Is that a bullet home visible and are those normal paper targets or shoot and sees?

I use mine every time I shoot. I’m addicted to phone scoping and with my S2 82 20-70 I can record ladder tests at 600 and keep track of each round without walking down and marking them. All my optics are 24-30 power on the top end but are nowhere near as nice as a good spotter. When you take pics you can zoom with your phone and get ALOT of extra zoomage. This pic is at 400 yards and I can zoom further in if needed on my phone. View attachment 6887696

Is that a bullet home visible and are those normal paper targets or shoot and sees?

That’s a single bullet hole in the right red, it’s a dirty bird so a cheap Shoot N C. The picture is much clearer in person. Notice the mirage in the background. The video and pics look great on my phone or through the actual spotter. Granted this is a $2500 spotter so experiences may differ. However, to answer your question, I have no trouble spotting holes at 400 yds without a splatter target.

Reactions: deersniper
Contrast of the target makes a difference (I have a tough time seeing holes in black targets past 250ish yards, depending on conditions, with a Krotos 15-45x spotter. White targets are easier to pick up the hole on though. Shoot-n-see I could pick out at 600+ in good conditions.

If you do distance shooting, you should have a spotter. If you shoot with a buddy, it'll help spot and call shots, and give you the opportunity to call your shots and have a confirmation. Somewhat critical in learning... If you're shooting paper at 100yds, with a high power scope, it's not necessary, but I don't think that's why you're here, is it?

Yeah right now when u hunt I just use a pair of zeiss range finding binoculars 10x I think

I shoot alone a lot when a buddy is there we just use rifle scopes to spot hits but my range only goes to 600. Might stretch to 800 next year

Some gear is indispensable and i should have bought it years before I did. Like those zeiss binoculars. I just don't want to spend $2000 on something and wonder why I bought it and end up selling for a loss

Contrast of the target makes a difference (I have a tough time seeing holes in black targets past 250ish yards, depending on conditions, with a Krotos 15-45x spotter. White targets are easier to pick up the hole on though. Shoot-n-see I could pick out at 600+ in good conditions.

If you do distance shooting, you should have a spotter. If you shoot with a buddy, it'll help spot and call shots, and give you the opportunity to call your shots and have a confirmation. Somewhat critical in learning... If you're shooting paper at 100yds, with a high power scope, it's not necessary, but I don't think that's why you're here, is it?

I use mine about 50% of the time. It really helps when I am shooting past 750 with a 10x. Could I survive without it? Absolutely!

Don't drop $2K on a spotting scope if you're not going to use it regularly... I love the Hide, but sometimes I feel like guys on here are gear snobs (myself included).

I have a $500 Cabela's Krotos HD 15-45x65mm spotter, and it does everything I need to, in a nice compact package. It's not as clear as a Meopta or a Kowa, or the H, S, or Z brands... but I don't need that either. Buy once, cry once, works for different budgets, and different priorities.

Don't tell anyone, but I use cheap Frankford Arsenal loading trays instead of those fancy billet ones. And I use pet store crushed walnut shells for tumbling instead of a wet tumbler with stainless media. Heaven forbid you buy something to get the job done, without buying the highest end shit out there, just to brag about it on the hide, or not wonder how much better the next guys equipment is. IDGAF if my loading tray isn't balanced, or the shells tilt at 5*.

So you won't be able to tell the difference between a housefly and your bullet hole on a paper target at 600yds, that $1500 in your pocket buying the cheaper spotter buys a lot of ammo, and more importantly, beer to make your vision blurry enough it won't matter anyway!

EDIT: Don't drink and shoot... but drinking and spotting is perfectly acceptable!

I've moved to a good pair of binos for spotting impacts on steel. I've found I can read mirage better and since mine have a LRF in them (Leica Geovids) I can cut down on extra weight. If I'm just shooting paper at 100, I just use my scope at a higher power. There is a place for spotters though.

Debating wether to buy one or not. How often do you guys that have one use it? Thanks

Yeah right now when u hunt I just use a pair of zeiss range finding binoculars 10x I think

I shoot alone a lot when a buddy is there we just use rifle scopes to spot hits but my range only goes to 600. Might stretch to 800 next year

Some gear is indispensable and i should have bought it years before I did. Like those zeiss binoculars. I just don't want to spend $2000 on something and wonder why I bought it and end up selling for a loss

Can you elaborate a bit more on your intended purpose? So you have 10 x RF Binos, but I'm trying to understand what you are thinking of here. Obviously don't buy something because you 'think you're supposed to have one'.

Can you elaborate a bit more on your intended purpose? So you have 10 x RF Binos, but I'm trying to understand what you are thinking of here. Obviously don't buy something because you 'think you're supposed to have one'.
Just didn't know if they would help with target shooting and hunting. Sounds like good binoculars are good enough.

Several buddies have sold their spotters and gone to Swarovski SLC HD 15x56 binos. You give up magnification, but you can watch trace (and mirage) almost all the time to see what the wind is doing out there. I'm debating wether to drop my spotter and switch over myself.