• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Spotting Scope - which one? High end!

Addicted

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2009
Upstate, South Carolina
I'm looking to buy a high end spotting scope for being able to spot bullet holes at 300 to 600 yards on black or white paper. The three i'm looking at are the Leica APO Televid 82 Angled (W 25-50X Aspherical Eyepiece)and the Zeiss 85mm FL Angled Spotting Scope 20-60X, and the Swarovski ATM-80 Degree Angled (80mm Body) & 20-60X. I am open to other suggestions as well. Thanks!

Re: Spotting Scope - which one? High end!

I have a Swarovski STS-65 HD and it is fantastic at picking out .30 caliber holes at 500 yards. I have not had the chance to take it out past that because I just bought it. I highly recommend this scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kowa TSN-773 is in the same price range as the Zeiss 85mm. Or you could step it up and get the TSN-883. </div></div>

1... The optical brillance of the the top 2 Kowa's are good as I have seen. I have the Kowa TSN-883 Prominar lens. I compared it to mu Swarovski 20X60X80 and the Kowa had a bit more resolution at distance, so I sold the Swarocski and kept the Kowa

Isn't mirage a pretty big problem at 600 yds? I haven't upgraded my scope because its too hard to make out holes in paper even at 400 yards with the mirage, the glass quality doesn't seem to be the limiting factor for me in finding the holes.

I believe you can get a mil reticle eyepiece for the Zeiss so I would give it the edge if you would possibly need/like the ability to range with your spotter. You'll arguably not see much difference in the scopes you list above and the top end Kowa's, all great glass.

Which spotting scopes REALLY have mil dot reticles available? I use my Leica Vectors with a mil dot in one ocular to spot for other shooters and the reticle is very useful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlabamaShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now you did say "high end", so my suggestion is take a look at the Zeiss Spotter 60. It has a ranging reticle and has some damn good glass </div></div>

and $5k later.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which spotting scopes REALLY have mil dot reticles available? I use my Leica Vectors with a mil dot in one ocular to spot for other shooters and the reticle is very useful. </div></div>

I have faith the Vortex will

Thanks for the article, Huckleberry. Most of the reviews I have read have been for birdwatching applications, which are very different from discerning bullet holes. They are generally looking for every detail from 40 - 100 yards away whereas we are trying to see 1/4" holes from 100 - 500 yards away, which are two different animals.

I agree that an eyepiece with a reticle is a big selling point. I wish more made them. And the Hendsoldt is the only one I know of that has a FFP reticle... but that is insane money there.

It is also a good point that while the Kowa has arguably the best image quality, at the longer distances, atmospherics are going to be the limiting factor more than clarity, so in the top tier, those are likely all on pretty even footing.

Does anyone know whether the Vortex Razor's eyepiece fits any other brand of scope, like the Kowa, Zeiss or Leica? Wouldn't it be wonderful if the Razor's "tactical" eyepiece could be used on another scope?

I have a Swarovski STS-80 HD w/the 20-60X eyepiece. It's definitely top shelf, but most of the high end companies are producing great products. I choose the swaro mainly for hunting, however it also works great for F-class competitions.

Glad to help. I bought the Nikon Fieldscope 25-75x82 from Cabelas for $1000 about 15 months ago. They do not carry it at the store but had it advertised in their optics sections for that price. They order it for you and you pick it up later. What is funny is that online it sells for $1299 but in store it sold for 1k. And this is the one with ED glass. Buy the way the difference between other high end scopes and this one is not really discernible to my eyes. The only negative that I would have would be a short eye relief which can be rectified with a fixed power lens and from what I understand that the image is also more clearer which I find hard to beleive because it already is fantastic. Another amazing thing that I like about this scope is that it maintains its brightness throughout all the zoom levels it has which is 75 power.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the article, Huckleberry. Most of the reviews I have read have been for birdwatching applications, which are very different from discerning bullet holes. They are generally looking for every detail from 40 - 100 yards away whereas we are trying to see 1/4" holes from 100 - 500 yards away, which are two different animals.</div></div>

Huh? I'm confused... detail and clarity are the same no matter the application.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree that an eyepiece with a reticle is a big selling point. I wish more made them. And the Hendsoldt is the only one I know of that has a FFP reticle... but that is insane money there.

It is also a good point that while the Kowa has arguably the best image quality, at the longer distances, atmospherics are going to be the limiting factor more than clarity, so in the top tier, those are likely all on pretty even footing. </div></div>

Good points here. I haven't had a chance to see the new Kowas so can't comment on them, but when I bought my scope the Kowa eye relief was the disqualifying factor. If that's been addressed (and from the new reviews I believe it has), then they're definitely back in the running.Between the Big Four (Zeiss, Swaro, Leica and Kowa) there are very few differences. I ended up buying Zeiss (T*85FL) at the time (2003) because to <span style="font-style: italic">my</span> eyes it was the best, but that's purely subjective on my part.

To the OP: between the three you've listed my preferences are ranked as follows; Zeiss, Swaro, and then Leica, although a lot of folk will reverse the first two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTriever</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Huh? I'm confused... detail and clarity are the same no matter the application.
</div></div>

Because things like mirage are more limiting at 600 yards than they are at 40 yards. That was my point.

One of the Leupold Mark 4 spotting scopes has a mil dot or mil scale reticle. It may not have the best optical performance, but would it work adequately for spotting shots to, say, 1600 yards? (I want to shoot 1 mile this year.) Has anyone looked through one of these scopes carefully?

BTW, the Leupold Mark 4 #60040 has a FFP TMR reticle and sells for about $1500 on eBay.

I think someone said - correctly - that lighting and the target design have a strong impact on whether you can see bullet holes or not with a good scope.

If you are using a spotter for shooting a reticle should be a major consideration in the choice. It tells you so much, even when you are not shooting and is a key to learning how to dope the wind.

Unfortunately with Zeiss no longer offering their eye piece for their sport optics <span style="font-style: italic">(which is 75% the fault of the shooting community)</span> and putting the focus on the Spotter 60 the cost is beyond most people's ability to purchase.

Leica is an outstanding optic, but does not have a reticle, and Swarvoski has a reticle but won't offer it to anyone if they even still make it. <span style="font-style: italic">(I have seen and used it)</span> so again, another outstanding sport optic that can do double duty but not as well because of the lack of reticle. Same with the Kowa, although I will say I recommended to a company to abandon doing their own spotter for doing just eye pieces with reticles for Kowas, though I never heard back. But still all great optics only separated by cost and personal preference.

Now, Vortex brought down their new Razor spotter with mil reticle to RO recently and we really liked it. Very sport optic like, great quality, it was every bit my Zeiss sport optic along with a nice mil based reticle.

Now, if your needs are for something like F Class or High Power shooting and not for any type of field shooting, you can basically flip a coin and pick any of the above spotters. The Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica are probably the top 3 with Kowa balanced in the middle at a different price point. However, I can tell you from experience sport optics and field use do not mix very well, having to used Zeiss Customer Service twice for breaking my 65* Ts. I also have a Leica 62 and they are armored so they work a bit better, and are small. As are the Swarovskis.

But, back to field work. Consider the Vortex Recons, as we have and I think they absolutely rock for field use. I have one here with their rail mount, and will try to get the video up, as well as the pictures of us using it at night with NV. These things for the money are awesome. Less than $500 for the 15X and they have a nice reticle in them. You can carry them or tripod mount them and they will do the job.
vortexrecon10x50rt.jpg

As I said I will get a video review up, but seriously the Vortex line of spotters are nice for both the manicured range crowd and field use. Its a functional piece of kit of sure.

I have the Spotter 60, use it every day and wouldn't trade it for the world, I also own the Leica as I said, and 2 Zeiss 65s as well as the 85 <span style="font-style: italic">(Because I bought reticles when they offered them)</span> and fell the Vortex is even bit of the Sport Optic brands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Addicted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking to buy a high end spotting scope for being able to spot bullet holes at 300 to 600 yards on black or white paper. The three i'm looking at are the Leica APO Televid 82 Angled (W 25-50X Aspherical Eyepiece)and the Zeiss 85mm FL Angled Spotting Scope 20-60X, and the Swarovski ATM-80 Degree Angled (80mm Body) & 20-60X. I am open to other suggestions as well. Thanks!</div></div>
The new Leica probably has the best image quality, but it doesn't have a reticle for field work and the magnification range starts out at 25x. That might be OKay if it has an incredibly large FOV; I want to use my spotter for a few different things like extreme range shooting, hunting, and spotting for other shooters. The expensive Spotter 60 seems to nearly have it all -- I would like the low magnification to be 15x for hunting. I'm wondering how to mechanically attach a PLRF-10 to the Spotter 60 to be able to align their boresights (my own version of the RULR).

It is down until the front end of the site gets sorted out. My web guy left me wanting and it looks like I will have to hire someone to fill the gap.

I can post the text of it, but it is no long a working link. Once the front page is finished I will put it back up.

The short end, while tactically its a fantastic spotter, with features not found in any other, realistically it is out of the range of most and unless you have a "need" for something like the Spotter 60, you can get by with something else. I feel if you're an instructor, or own a facility or if you are deploying, the Spotter 60 is an essential piece of kit. But if you are hobbyist you can buy an Swarovski and be just as happy with your purchase. When you weigh the cost for the average guy, its very high. But if you work in the industry, whether from a training viewpoint or a deployable, working aspect, I think it is money well spent.

Honestly I have abused the Spotter 60 like I would never anything else, to the point, the Spotter currently looks "bad" its' dirty, its' weathered, its out in the sun, left in the rain, and still it is flawless. It honestly doesn't deserve me as an owner, but it is what it is, and is happy to indulge me.

Thanks Lowlight. I'm selling my Zeiss 65 and looking for another scope for shooting to 1 mile out here in the high desert. What do you think of the angled versus straight scope question?

Alabama, thanks also. That's the Zeiss brochure for the Spotter 60 and can also be found on the HuDisCo website. You can mount a red dot optic on the of the rails and use it for initial pointing of the Spotter - pretty neat.

I think it's supposed to be easier transition between scope and looking directly with your eyes while hunting if you have a straight scope - your head is closer to the right position and shifts less.

I decided on the Spotter 60 and just ordered one from Alex at EuroOptics. I got rid of three rifle optics and my spotter to pay for it, so I have high expectations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
vortexrecon10x50rt.jpg

As I said I will get a video review up, but seriously the Vortex line of spotters are nice for both the manicured range crowd and field use. Its a functional piece of kit of sure.</div></div>

I'm looking forward to the review. One question I have after seeing 7(!) different mounts in their "VMS Kit" is if the scope has a regular ol' 1/4"x20tpi nut in the housing to screw on to a standard tripod.

I was wondering if anyone is interested in a bulk purchase of the Spotter 60 and before you flame me here is the reason: Nathan Hunt at Hudisco says that in order to get the "customer specific reticle" you need an order minimum of 5 (he said that it's really for departmental orders). I am looking for a P4fine to match my S&B. Now if One-Eyed Jack is in for a P4 and will cancel his order, then we really only need 3 more. If you've never seen the P4 it is handier and faster than the Gen 1 mildot. And with the Spotter 60's L shaped reticle it is much easier to spot with than the Leupold crosshairs (which by the way I had with the P4 and returned because it was like looking through Vaseline). Please, if any of you guys are interested please PM me. Thanks.

I'm not convinced that a P4F reticle in the center of the image is better for spotting than the current L-shaped mil dot. After all, the spotter is for observation and not for aiming. Did Nathan tell you how much a new reticle would run?

I like the "L" better... I am not shooting I am spotting. There is a difference. If I need to spot with a crosshair, I will use a rifle, I can get lower and more stable with a rifle, and if I have to engage I can.

The spotter is for that, and as said, you don't want to block out the center of your FOV, that is the sweet spot.

Some interesting comments and information here. I was curious enough to do some research on Spotting Scopes with reticles.

This is not a definitive list, nor are all the spotters "high end", but here's what I found, that is currently being offered. Prices are approximate street prices.

Bushnell: Excursion FLP 15-45x60mm $360.

Horus: Two re-reticled Leupolds $2469.

Kruger: Lynx 7-25x50mm $1000.
Lynx 14-50x60mm $1100.

Leupold: 12-40x60mm $1600.

Meopta: TGA-75 $850.
30x WA Ranging Reticle $250.

Optolyth: TBS & TBG 65mm $650.
TBS & TBG 80mm GA $750.
TBS & TBG 80mm GA/HD $1200.
These 3 are listed without eyepieces, because Optolyth sells a fixed 30x WA eyepiece w/mil reticle that fits the above spotters for around $500.

Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85mm model with reticle not listed as yet.

Zeiss Tactical 20-60x72mm $5000.

If there are others not listed, but are currently offered, let me know, and I'll add them to the list.

Thanks,

Bob

Frank,

Thanks I have added them tot he list. Did not realize they had any, and it seems they have two models.

Thanks again,

Bob

One-Eyed Jack: I think you have it mixed up...the Spotter 60 has an L shaped reticle so that it is clearly out of your way. That was one problem that I had with the Leupold, the other being the glass quality. Maybe I had an anomaly, but I could barely see hits looking west on a sunny day @ 100 yds., which I could clearly see with my S&B 5-25. I'm waiting on Nathan at Hudisco to get back to me, but I know that they don't sell direct. I'm trying to get one of his online retailers, Chris at SportOptics, to broker the deal. That way if anyone is interested they can pay him directly and not worry about becoming a larceny case. Hendsoldt gets the minimum order, SportOptic gets the sale, and we get the reticle. Plus, the retailers don't keep many in stock because of the price and if Chris is willing to do it, it is a guarantee sale for 5 for him. But Hensoldt wants a minimum order before they'll retool for the P4. Not only is the P4 handier and quicker to use, if you decide to sell the scope it will be a commodity, rather than run of the mill. I know a mil is a mil, but if you're going to buy a big ticket item why not get it your way and maybe we could work out some kind of bulk discount. Anything is better than nothing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TASKER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By the way, Bob, is that Old Coasty? </div></div>

Yup, that be me.....

Bob

Okay guys, I apologize for misspeaking: I spoke to Nathan Hunt at Hudisco and to cover the cost of tooling without really raising the price of the scope any more, we would need on order of 20+! That truly is grand larceny! But he did mention that Hendsoldt is talking about alternative reticles for next year or so. Sorry if I got anybody's hopes up. But on a side note: I did get MY Spotter 60! Good shootin' all!

Concerning the post by Blaster on Leica customer service...

Leica has had some major changes in personnel and policies concerning customer service on repairs. I have had two of my hunting buddies return their binos and they have gotten them back quickly and at no cost... quite a change from the past. The Leica guys at the SLC Hunters Expo told me about the changes and how the new "Big Boss" is putting customer service a top priority.

NV Hunter

I've bought a Zeiss 85T* FL (straight) a little while ago... after having compared looking at holes on paper target with the Swarovski STS 80HD in bright tropical sun for one afternoon... I think I would prefer the Swarovski over Zeiss. Both are great and able to spot holes on paper but I just felt at the time that the Swarovski was better (for me).

I've been looking for a spotting scope with a mildot reticle.One of my local dealers has a Leupold Mark 4 12-40x60 with/TMR for $1399 with tax out the door it's $1513.Before I go down and put $$$ on it, I thought i'd ask about it here on snipershide. Can some of you that own or have used this spotting scope give their opinions about it. thanks