Springfield Armory 1911 DS Prodigy

I don't know why but it's been a while since I've enjoyed something as much as my POORDIGY

I only wish it was a few ounces lighter

I like it so much that I've installed a nighthawk drop in trigger which is excellent btw and I have a jarvis threaded barrel to use suppressed and a phoenix trinity hero grip

will report back once installed

Very helpful, thanks.

Loosing the fiber is pretty common I guess. My buddy had his a month or so before I bought mine. If you run an aggressive fitting schedule, this pistol gets hot. He lost his and replaced it with red. The fibers is cheap and can be changed on the range with a knife and a lighter so ehhhh.

Not needed anyway. I may actually paint mine over or replace the front sight. I don’t like the green dot in the view with the ACRO.

Reactions: Terry Cross
I just ordered a Phoenix Trinity Hero aluminum DLC grip for my Prodigy. Probably my only complaint about this Prodigy is the plastic grip. It works, but is cheap and I already had an issue of plastic starting to egg out plastic removing and reinstalling the mag release

I think with this Hero grip this pistol is 100% perfect.

I just ordered a Phoenix Trinity Hero aluminum DLC grip for my Prodigy. Probably my only complaint about this Prodigy is the plastic grip. It works, but is cheap and I already had an issue of plastic starting to egg out plastic removing and reinstalling the mag release

I think with this Hero grip this pistol is 100% perfect.
My order was paid for and has been processing since August 24. Was hoping to install it this weekend but it hasn't shipped yet. Was in stock when I ordered.

I'm the same way. I'm not a huge fan of the plastic grips the way the feel in the hand especially the one in the poordigy. The dimensions and design of it are fine but the plastic itself doesn't have a great hand feel if you ask me

My order was paid for and has been processing since August 24. Was hoping to install it this weekend but it hasn't shipped yet. Was in stock when I ordered.

I'm the same way. I'm not a huge fan of the plastic grips the way the feel in the hand especially the one in the poordigy. The dimensions and design of it are fine but the plastic itself doesn't have a great hand feel if you ask me

Interesting. When I ordered it said 33 in stock. Hoping it comes in a reasonable time

As an update, I ordered my Phoenix Trinity Hero on 8/31 and it shipped this morning with UPS tracking.

Played with it more today. Just feels amazing in your hand, weight is perfect, fit and finish is top notch. The sticky factory safety is fixed as this Hero grip comes with its own safety. For the amount of money I have into this Prodigy and the way it shoots, couldnt be happier.

I just ripped the atlas trigger out. Replaced it with a Red Dirt ST flat trigger. Main reason being the set screw adjustable pretravel while gun is assembled vs the Atlas that requires you to bend those tabs.

Bending tabs isn't precise and a huge pain in the ass as you have to keep completely disassembling and reassembling the gun to make an adjustment..

This Red Dirt is fucking awesome. Feels great, slides in the PT Hero grip like butter, perfect fit. You can reassemble the gun and just remove the grip safety and it comes with a long Allen wrench to adjust the pretravel set screw while testing live with hammer cocked until its perfect. Takes 60 seconds. And comes with a tube of loctite to put on the set screw before you adjust.

Trigger is perfect now. I did re-adjust the trigger pull weight to 2.5lb.. 2lb was just too light for me.

Reactions: Clob McStrunk
Mine finally just got here a few minutes ago. Might install this evening if I finish up other projects that are higher priority.

Just waiting on threaded barrel from Jarvis now.

IMG_8828.jpeg

Reactions: padom
And from my research the STI Edge quality fell off the rebranded to Staccato and dropped the Edge... looking at staccato a 5" 2011 like my prodigy ds5 is $3899.. this is the reason I went prodigy picking it up for $1250 and putting right around $1000 into it and it runs smooth as hell and feels amazing in my hand. I'm 1000% happy with it.

Reactions: CK1.0 and Redlion
Thanks. I'm not a fan of the CZ TSO at all. I had a gun shop trying to give me one years ago to offset some of an invoice they owed me for IT work. I didn't like how it felt in my hand or looked. Just not my cup of tea

They're not for everyone... personally, I hate how thin the aluminum CZ Orange grips are, and they would have to be replaced with something else immediately for me, but generally, I love all CZs lol. Most guys have never felt a handgun trigger as light and awesome as what comes on a CZ TSO straight out of the box... they're kind of "gateway drug to race guns" in that regard lol.

And from my research the STI Edge quality fell off the rebranded to Staccato and dropped the Edge... looking at staccato a 5" 2011 like my prodigy ds5 is $3899.. this is the reason I went prodigy picking it up for $1250 and putting right around $1000 into it and it runs smooth as hell and feels amazing in my hand. I'm 1000% happy with it.

Staccatos are straight trash IMO. STI was an amazing employee-owned company, Texans making 1911-patterned guns and only 1911-patterned guns, so even the lower-priced ones kicked ass. Staccato is for fake operators and other Chads, they purchased STI trying to buy instant credibility (and in a way, sort of did) but the guns aren't anything near what STI turned out.

It really is worth searching out old STIs on Gunbroker or whatever from the late 90s into early 2000s... they're still not too overpriced and there is real mojo there, as a guitar guy, it's kind of like what you get in a vintage Les Paul or Strat, they really don't "make them like they used to"...

They're not for everyone... personally, I hate how thin the aluminum CZ Orange grips are, and they would have to be replaced with something else immediately for me, but generally, I love all CZs lol. Most guys have never felt a handgun trigger as light and awesome as what comes on a CZ TSO straight out of the box... they're kind of "gateway drug to race guns" in that regard lol.

Staccatos are straight trash IMO. STI was an amazing employee-owned company, Texans making 1911-patterned guns and only 1911-patterned guns, so even the lower-priced ones kicked ass. Staccato is for fake operators and other Chads, they purchased STI trying to buy instant credibility (and in a way, sort of did) but the guns aren't anything near what STI turned out.

It really is worth searching out old STIs on Gunbroker or whatever from the late 90s into early 2000s... they're still not too overpriced and there is real mojo there, as a guitar guy, it's kind of like what you get in a vintage Les Paul or Strat, they really don't "make them like they used to"...

CZs are incredibly customizable. If you don't like the grips there's endless options. The reason I mentioned the TSO is because of it's fit slide and frame, unlike a standard Tactical Sport or Shadow 1/2. CZ makes a Shadow 2 Orange as well, same fit parts.

It's ironic calling Staccatos trash in a Springfield thread. Most of the STI complaints were from people that didn't understand what they were buying. Those guns didn't just run without maintenance. Same as all the new 2011 in vogue today. Most people just don't shoot them enough to find out.

I get the point of the Springfield, however, if you change all of the parts chasing reliability, quality, customization, etc, you'll spend as much, or more, than if you just bought a good gun in the first place.

Reactions: CK1.0
CZs are incredibly customizable. If you don't like the grips there's endless options. The reason I mentioned the TSO is because of it's fit slide and frame, unlike a standard Tactical Sport or Shadow 1/2. CZ makes a Shadow 2 Orange as well, same fit parts.

It's ironic calling Staccatos trash in a Springfield thread. Most of the STI complaints were from people that didn't understand what they were buying. Those guns didn't just run without maintenance. Same as all the new 2011 in vogue today. Most people just don't shoot them enough to find out.

I get the point of the Springfield, however, if you change all of the parts chasing reliability, quality, customization, etc, you'll spend as much, or more, than if you just bought a good gun in the first place.

I understand the point you are making it and I think it makes a lot of sense for people are not going to replace any of the parts themselves where they would need to send the gun to a pistol smith to make any of the changes.

If you are happy with leaving a staccato the way it is then your post also makes a lot of sense.

A lot of people have had staccatos before and have been underwhelmed by them. I'm not going to call a staccato a trash gun even though it is fun to upset the staccato fan boys.

In my opinion the poordigy is a base to build off of where you can shoot it after each change and seeing the effect each change makes versus ordering parts and assembling a 2011 from scratch. It's an easy, available, convenient way to test your hand tinkering with 2011's

If everything goes well with changing out the parts on my POORDIGY and I feel like it's a good finished product then I will send it off to have all the parts DLC'd in the same batch as when I order parts to do an assembly from scratch with Cheley and Phoenix and Atlas and Nighthawk and EGW and Dawson parts mostly.

Just got back from shooting about 500rd through my Prodigy for the first time since installing the PT Hero grip and Red Dirt trigger and tuning it.

I ran off a few thousand 124gr 9mm with 4.0gr Titegroup. 1023 SD 11 on my 1050 autodrive

Man this thing is absolutely perfect. Smooth as silk, trigger is amazing and feels great in the hand. Not a single hiccup or issue.

I'm done messing with it. It's exactly how I want it.

Last edited:
Saw this the other day, Ed Brown is doing mods on them for about $2600. A bit steep considering they are close to $1000 street price, but when you consider a $1500+ MSRP, but for a beavertail, ambi safety, EDM trigger, reliability package, flattened/serrated slide top, recessed crown, dehorn and coated if you want all that stuff with full warranty it's probably not a horrible setup.

Granted if you don't you can probably get a good 1911/2011 smith to do the work for less, or do it yourself for less

Saw this the other day, Ed Brown is doing mods on them for about $2600. A bit steep considering they are close to $1000 street price, but when you consider a $1500+ MSRP, but for a beavertail, ambi safety, EDM trigger, reliability package, flattened/serrated slide top, recessed crown, dehorn and coated if you want all that stuff with full warranty it's probably not a horrible setup.

Granted if you don't you can probably get a good 1911/2011 smith to do the work for less, or do it yourself for less

Just got back from shooting about 500rd through my Prodigy for the first time since installing the PT Hero grip and Red Dirt trigger and tuning it.

I ran off a few thousand 124gr 9mm with 4.0gr Titegroup. 1023 SD 11 on my 1050 autodrive

Man this thing is absolutely perfect. Smooth as silk, trigger is amazing and feels great in the hand. Not a single hiccup or issue.

I'm done messing with it. It's exactly how I want it.
love mine also

Installed phoenix hero trinity grip and also Dawson tool less guide rod

Still waiting on Jarvis threaded barrel for suppressed use

Loved tinkering with mine so much I’m ordering cheely parts to assemble my own. Going to style it after the atlas ares

IMG_8941.jpeg