• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Springfield Armory Scopes

mis-guided child2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2010
Union Grove, Tx
I picked up a Springfield Armory Scope 4-14x56 Second Gen. in 7.62 this weekend.I didnt get hurt on the $, so thats not a concern.
Im looking for opinions from those of you with experience concerning this glass. Any out there?

The bubble is off by a mile, the glass aint that great, but Im curious of your experience on how they track? How well they range etc.

Fire away.

Re: Springfield Armory Scopes

In a word...SHITE!

If you run a search of the Hide (using Google), you'll find several threads on the SA scopes.

Briefly, they don't track well (at least most of them), the bubble levels (as you aptly observed) tend to not be level, the glass is marginal (some are okay...others have a yellowish hue to them), the BDC reticles generally don't match up even with the prescribed ammo (168gr Match)...so on and so forth. Again...SHITE.

To my knowledge, Springfield is still honoring the warranties on the scopes, but they have to be sent back to Hakko (the mfg...in Japan) for service. If you are feeling brave (or lucky) you can try to get the scope serviced and hope it comes back better than when you sent it off.

Better to put it up on eBay and let someone else deal with the problems. If you did get it for a good price (<$200), then you should be able to at least double your money. People on eBay seem to love these things!

My advice is to ask about a scope <span style="font-weight: bold">BEFORE</span> you buy it.

SA scopes have a shitty rep and it's deserved. I watched the objective come loose on one after only a few shots out of an M1A it was mounted on. Many other stories around as well. My advice is try to sell it, not here, and buy a better scope.

send it back to Springfield. they will give you a new one, keep doing this til you get one with no problems. i have a friend with a Gen I 4-16 x 56 on a Sendero 7mm mag. and he was lucky, his has worked great for three years. lots of others have not been so lucky.

LOL. I dont recall asking what I should do with the scope.
But thank you.I do recall asking opinions of how they track, and how well they range.
Ive shoot a couple of their fixed powers and had no issues with em. Granted, its not an NXS, but neither was the price tag.

I bought the scope to put on extra .308 I own, to get a buddy involved in long range. I know its not ideal, but its a start for him. Once he gets interested, he can get his own rifle/scope and do as he wishes.

Good luck.
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good luck.
crazy.gif
</div></div>

...you'll need it!!
crazy.gif

If you are going to set a buddy up with a scope so that he can get into long-range shooting, you are doing him a GREAT disservice with that scope. Irrespective of the "neat" features and the reticle...at a minimum, you know the bubble level is off and chances are, the scope won't track properly. You have handicapped your poor friend before he ever got started.

Your absolutely right ORD.
What was I thinkin?
I'll put my lil varix3 3.5x10x 40 back
on it, put it back in the safe and tell him to get his own
toys. How could I have been such a dick.
I'll even get back the Old rockchucker and manual scales I gave him.
I'm such a douche! Nobody should have to start out
out at the bottom! But thanks for straightening
my sorry ass out!

I didn't say you were being a "sorry ass" or a "douche" for helping out a friend...I said that "helping" him with that scope is not exactly "help." I have used the SA scopes in the past and I know what they are and are not capable of in terms of long-range shooting. If yours tracks true (which it MAY) and the glass isn't impossible to use at extended ranges and your friend doesn't rely on the stupid reticle but instead uses the elevation and windage adjustments knobs to dial in the scope...he may be okay.

I suppose that "something is better than nothing," and I hope that the scope holds up until he can get something more suitable for learning about long-range shooting properly.

Good luck to you both, sir.

I'll say it, you are a douche.

You asked for info and got info and advice. You obviously don't know what the fuck you are doing, so advice was a common courtesy from those who do know what the fuck they are doing.

Your friend getting involved in long range shooting, how could that go wrong with an expert like you assisting?

Damn, people complain that newbies here take shit, sometimes it's because douches like you mess it up for everyone.

Enjoy your piece of shit scope, pass it along to whomever you want. So much for graciously accepting instruction and assistance.

Douche.

RC is good people and all I can say is that your screen name is the only accurate thing about all you've said or indicated you will do. I'd hate to be downrange from anyone you helped.

Im sure hes great people, not arguing that at all.
However I asked a question about how a low end scope tracked and ranged. Only 3 out of however many replies were about the question.

And exactly how much have I said or indicated I would do?

And I am proud to be one of his mis-guided children, I earned it.

The glass is shit.
The tracking is terrible at best.
The levels are almost never level.
The ranging is nowhere near as good as standard mil-based reticle.

Unless you paid with Monopoly money, you did not get a good deal.

Better?

"If you die first, we're splitting up your gear": doesn't apply to you.

If you would come here with less attitude and just listen you might learn something.You might be 50 yrs old for all I know but you come across as a 15 yr old kid that can't handle any criticism.There's a wealth of knowledge here if you'll just get off your highhorse and pay attention.

By the way,I've had a 2nd Gen Springfield scope and the glass sucked and the reticle was way too cluttered.

I had a first generation (made by Redfield) 3-9x40 and after a few hundred rounds on my M1a the ranging rticle wouuldn't function properly. Had to send it bak to Redfield. Last SA scope i bought.