• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors Springfield Custom Shop

TravisP

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2011
Missouri
Anyone ever had Springfield Armory custom shop do any work on their handgun? Turn around time? Price? Quality of work performed?. I have an unfired XDM .45, I would like to have some night sights put on and have them armor-cote the slide. I do not have gunsmith close to have this work performed, so just thinking I will just send back to Springfield to have it done. Any advice or experiences with other places to have work performed would also be welcomed. Thanks.

Re: Springfield Custom Shop

I sent an emp back with some feed issues. I came back with Trijicon night sights, a hand reamed chamber, and new slide, and a trigger job...of course the price was a little surprising. The bill came out to $00.00 Yes, zero dollars and zero cents.

A guy I know owns a S/A Operator . He litterally wore the finsh off the gun in so many places it looked like a stainless and dull blue botched camo job. He sent it back to Springfield and a couple weeks later it came back looking like new for a very little amount of money. I have heard nothing but good things from the few people that have had any issues with S/A. I own a Champion Operator and it's quite nice.

SA is a great place to send your pistol. One of the main guys that works on 1911's is a TOP level pistol smith. Very reasonable prices and real quick on turnaround time. I have rarely heard of someone not satisfied. I have been real happy. They sent me a take down pin for a 1911 I bought used for free. That is service. Let us know how it goes, JPG

Springfield Custom is about as good as it gets in the 1911 world. From a customer service standpoint I dont think their is anyone better. The reputation out of the Custom shop is impeccable.

for example I orderd a magwell for my Sig 1911R in black armory coat after talking to SIG who advised me they couldnt sell me the part and I had to go to a dealer except sig doesnt sell the mag well assemblies to anybody to stock sooo they would have to special order me one.

5 mins on the phone with springfield I had one orderd and on its way no questions just said I needed one for my sig. No upcharge for the armory coating either.

Thanks for the responses. That is about how I figured it. I have only e-mailed them a few times about another pistol and they seemed willing to do whatever to make things right. Will probably send slide back to them and let them do the work. Thanks again.

From friends and other sites, I have never heard a bad word about SA.

Have any of you guys had the Defense Package done on a Mil-Spec 1911? How was it when it returned?

Reply to downzero. I would love to install myself, but I was under the impression that you have to own one of those sight tools to install them? Is that correct? I could save some money if I did them myself.

I'd imagine some sort of sight pusher is advisable for night sights. I usually use a hammer and brass or aluminum punch for regular sights.

Yeah I have used punches and things as well, however, we arent talking about a cheap buckhorn sight on my 30-30. I am under the impression that the tritium sights are easily broken and would really not like to screw up a $100.00 set of sights as well as the dovetails on the slide.

If you screw up the dovetails in the slide, you've got some serious problems.

I have never beat on a night sight with a hammer, but I suspect that if you did it properly, it wouldn't be a problem, unless it wasn't fitted correctly.

The price that Springfield charges for the sights plus installation is just about as cheap as just purchasing the sights from somewhere else so i think when i get the dough, i will just send to them and let them do it.

Springfield has agreat repair shop, and obviously from this thread is not just an adjunct to making money, but as a sales tool to keep clients happy. The other thing we all forget is SA makes great guns, perhaps some of the best, and they are very cost competitive with anyone out there. Overall they just might be the best pistol maker on the planet nowadays.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TravisP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah I have used punches and things as well, however, we arent talking about a cheap buckhorn sight on my 30-30. I am under the impression that the tritium sights are easily broken and would really not like to screw up a $100.00 set of sights as well as the dovetails on the slide. </div></div>

USE THE SIGHT PUSHER!!! Believe me!!! Also pay attention to which side you install it on the slide. *SOME* slides(just look and measure if you wonder) have a wider opening on one side than the other. It seems most common to find where REMOVAL is push on left side of sight & out the right side. INSTALL push on right side of sight towards the left.

The front sight(s) are easily snapped and bent, and/or one can crack the tritium portion of the sight and then have a dead night sight.

Tried on my Sig P220, busted!
frown.gif
Use the sight pusher!

-G45

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TravisP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah I have used punches and things as well, however, we arent talking about a cheap buckhorn sight on my 30-30. I am under the impression that the tritium sights are easily broken and would really not like to screw up a $100.00 set of sights as well as the dovetails on the slide. </div></div>

USE THE SIGHT PUSHER!!! Believe me!!! Also pay attention to which side you install it on the slide. *SOME* slides(just look and measure if you wonder) have a wider opening on one side than the other. It seems most common to find where REMOVAL is push on left side of sight & out the right side. INSTALL push on right side of sight towards the left.

The front sight(s) are easily snapped and bent, and/or one can crack the tritium portion of the sight and then have a dead night sight.

Tried on my Sig P220, busted!
frown.gif
Use the sight pusher!

-G45 </div></div>
I have used a brass drift to install all kinds of sights on all kinds of handguns and never had an issue. I just put a set of night sights on a M&P that took under fifteen minutes and went on smooth. You do have to make sure your gun is not like the M&P and others stated above where you have to take the sight of one direction. Just make sure to fit the sight first and use locktite.
Easy as pie but without the work.