• Happy 4th of July! Use code AMERICA24 to get 15% off subscriptions

All subscriptions are on sale! Pick yours below

Subscribe

SPS AAC-SD & regular SPS Tactical questions

mattra

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2012
I've been reading quite a few posts in the forum on the Remington 700 AAC-SD and the regular SPS Tactical (1 in 12 twist non-threaded version) was hoping to get a recommendation on which one might be more inherently accurate.

There seems to be more rave reviews of the 1 in 12 model over the 1 in 10. Is the 1 in 12 model more prevalent due to lower cost and have more positive reviews because of that, or does it seem to actually perform better?

I read and watched LoneWolfUSMCs articles/videos where he used the AAC-SD as a base rifle, but it seemed to not perform as well as what others have reported with the cheaper 1 in 12 model. Part of me thinks his review is probably a more honest assessment of what to expect and if he had used the 1 in 12 model, the results would have been the same.

I don't currently reload, it is something I plan to start however. It would be nice though if either rifle shot well with FGMM 168 and FGMM 175 for convenience. Those two loadings seem to be readily available (in my area) and cost effective as far as match ammo goes. I don't think I would shoot rounds heavier than 175 or 178 gr. Any factory rifle/barrel may shoot better or worse than the next, but would it be unreasonable to expect the AAC-SD model to shoot sub-moa with FGMM 168 or 175s? I realize the stock will have to go and a lot of it depends on the shooter (which I can do). Most of the reviews that I've seen on the hide indicate that the regular SPS Tactical does very well with the 168s, but not much is usually said about the 175 grain rounds in those rifles. I realize that 168 gr will do quite well to a point and go transonic/subsomic somewhere around 800 yards so that is why I am concerned with the 175 gr performance.

The only reason I am considering the AAC-SD is for the threaded muzzle which will make adding a muzzle brake easy compared to getting a barrel threaded - the faster twist rate doesn't mean much too me. I know there are clamp on muzzle brakes if the barrel isn't threaded, but I'm not too keen on that idea.

Any recommendations/info is appreciated. I tried to search and read the forum as much as possible before posting (I know it bugs people when the same question is asked ad nuaseum), but I am hoping to reach out to a few people here and get some info pertinent to my needs and concerns. I am on a budget and I think either rifle will suit my needs and allow me to upgrade it over time to get it to my ultimate goal, just trying to figure out which one might be marginally better. I would also like to thank you guys on the forum, especially LoneWolf for a lot of great info. I'm not new to rifles, but I am new to these types of rifles. Most of my experience is with M1 Garands/ARs/and milsurp bolt action rifles (all iron sights) - very little experience with precision bolt action rifles.

Re: SPS AAC-SD & regular SPS Tactical questions

AAC-SD 1 in 10 will be better for Heavier Rounds like 175s. SPS Tact 1 in 12 is more of a all around rifle/round combo. It's used mainly for 800 or closer and wide veriety of Factory Ammos. Both are great and accurate starter factory rifles. Have you ever looked in to a 5R Mil Spec 1 in 11.25 twist 5R rifling. It's another great choice. All these are good starting point to build a semi custom factory based rifle. But I personally chose and Prefer the 5R.

All of the rifles above has less than ideal factory stocks and triggers so I'd upgrade these asap. With B&C Medalist M40 Stock on my 5R .308 not bedded I'm averaging .5-.75 at 100 yrds with some shots dipping into .3-.4 range. I've been very happy with it! If you're looking for a all around rifle/twist rate I'd go with the SPS Tact. It's cheaper and still a great starting point for upgrades. Just my 2cent.

I have an AAC-SD and I love it. Keep in mind that you will DEFINITELY need to replace the factory Hogue on the AAC-SD before you do anything because it is the biggest hunk of junk made. So keep that in mind and tac on another $200-$300 for a better stock ( HS Precision or Bell and Carlson). I was in the same boat as you about a year ago. I wanted a good economical rifle. I chose the AAC-SD because it does have the threaded barrel and the faster twist rate. I put a muzzle break on it and it made a huge difference in the recoil so that just reinforced my decision to go with the AAC-SD. It's a great out of the box rifle for the money not considering the terrible stock.

The 5-R is a bit out of my initial budget. The goal is to be able to upgrade it over time, but get into it sooner - I do appreciate the suggestion though. I'd like to get into one of the SPS Tacticals and into a SWFA fixed 10 power scope and then upgrade the stock when funds allow. Going with the 5R and its higher initial cost, I would feel the need to delay things a bit longer.

It just seems odd to me that there is such a jump in twist rates. The 1 in 12 being the traditional accepted rate, then the 5R/M24 using the 1 in 11.25 and now the move to 1 in 10. Sometimes I wonder if the 1 in 10 is more of a marketing ploy. I'm not trying to second guess anyone, just seems like a lot of people have good success with 1 in 12 and in the case of the 5R the 1 in 11.25 (which I sort of understand more because of the different style of rifling maybe playing a role).

mattra, i own both the SPS AAC-SD w/ 1:10 twist and the SPS-V with 1:12 twist. I know the SPS-V isn't exactly the same as the SPS tactical, but it's pretty comparable.

I primarily shoot 168gr FGMM out of both these rifles with outstanding accuracy out to 200 yards (so far). Consistent 3-shots touching groups at 200 if i do my part, but always sub-MOA at that range. I haven't tried 175's in the AAC yet, but will probably be developing a load with them in the future if it works out with the FGMM 175's.

The AAC had a minor break-in period shooting ~1.50", and now has ~700 rounds through it with consistent .50-.75" groups at 100 yards no problem. The SPS-V was shooting sub moa out of the box with no break in. As HOGTOOTH5R said, there have been days they dip less than that (.3-.4") on a real good day.

Both of them have had their stocks changed to aftermarket (AAC got a Choate Tactical, SPS-V got a B&C Light Tactical), and the AAC got a Timney 510 trigger. The X-mark is okay, but leaves a lot to be desired. These are the two things i HAD to change about the rifle. The Hogue stock and beavertail SPS-v stock were utter boo-boo garbage.

The threaded barrel of the AAC-SD was a big plus for me as it allowed me to install an AAC Brakeout comp/brake. It literally cut the recoil to that of a heavy .223. That is one thing i prefer over the longer barrel SPS, otherwise i absolutely love both rifles.

Hope any of this info helped. Good luck on your decision!

Thanks for the continued info and suggestions. If in time and funds allow, I would really like to put whichever rifle I get into an AICS 1.5. I've thought long and hard about getting something like a B&C and then saving up further and getting a DBM like one from CDI precision, but after factoring in the cost of the stock, the DBM, the magazine, and the cost to have it inletted - the total cost is not that far away from the AICS (which I think might be a better end product), but I appreciate the comments and suggestions on stock upgrade options.

The AAC Brakeout intrigues me as well. I've considered it for recoil reduction, but also just to have something on the end of the muzzle. I never plan to drop my rifle on its muzzle, but it's always nice to have something there to protect the crown just in case.

Shooter_308, what you said about the regular SPS shooting sub moa out of the box and the AAC needing a bit more time echoes what I've been reading in other posts. How do you like that Choate tactical. I see a lot of recommendations for the B&C and HS stocks, but Choate doesn't seem to get much press. Product reviews for them on Midway seem to be pretty positive though.

The 1/10 was designed to shoot the heavier bullets subsonic(200+ grain)....which is why its also threaded.

1/12 will work just fine and shoot just as far accurately as the 1/10 twist. They'll both shoot about the same as the 5r and the sps varmints.

If you want the threaded muzzle get the aac. If you dont care save a few bucks and get the standard.

If you've got some extra bucks get the 5r because the stock is nicer. However the houge stock works just fine if you trim the forend down underneath the barrel so it doesn't touch.

Consider what the AAC-SD is intended for, which is shooting heavier rounds with less barrel at slower speeds. Ideally, you'd be looking at a 1:8 or 1:9 twist for the heavy pills moving really slowly. But who wants a dedicated subsonic bolt action? Not many. So you need a compromise twist that can handle bigger/slower rounds, yet still shoot supersonic rounds accurately as well. For that reason, I think that's why a 1:10 twist is more desirable than a 1:12. If you're not going to be pushing heavier rounds, such as 175g-210gr, at subsonic speeds through a suppressor, then a 1:12 twist will probably suit you better.

Edit - Some people have answered between when I started this reply and now, but basically I was answering the question as to whether or not a 1:10 twist rifle is a marketing gimmick.

I absolutely love the Choate Tactical stock on mine. It worked really well for my set up, shrunk my groupings a bit from the Hogue stock. The AAC dropped right in with no issues. It feels really comfortable to me, some say the palm swell is too big for their liking. It's got a bit of weight to it though. What i've noticed is people either love it or hate it.

Is it a $700 McMillan or AI chassis? Absolutely not. But for the price its a great stock.

If you're thinking about getting a AICS for your rifle then I'd suggest to get the 2.0 instead of 1.5! LOL...Trust me, I've been down that road before where I thought I'd never "need" or "want" a folder stock. But the more I get into it the More I find myself Attracted to the Folders and wish I bought one to start with! But that's just me though!

I was in the same boat as you are. I wanted a rifle to shoot 175gr SMK's. I found a package from Scout Supply Company that sparked my interest. I called and spoke with Russel Banks. After our conversation, I went with their Stage 2 package on a Remington 700 Tactical with the 1 in 12" twist. I could not be happier.

I mounted it in a Bell & Carlson Light Tactical stock, and added a Leupy 4.5x14 VX3. Shooting my first groups ever at 200 yards yesterday and I managed a 1.15" group at 200. Again, I could not be happier with my decision.

http://scoutsupplycompany.com/

Check them out if you get a chance. Russel is very helpful.

Tim