• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

SPS Package from Short Action Customs?

Tomekeuro85

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2007
Chicago Suburbs, IL
Has anyone done this to their rifle? How were the results?

From what it seems on the site description and what Mark told me, people are getting great sub half moa accuracy, and even in the 1/4moa range.

The one thing, which is completely understandable, he said he can't "guarantee" it will shoot after the package is done because it will all still be factory components... Whereas If I were to buy a new barrel he would be able to guarantee an improvement.

My question is, was it worth the improvement, for those who have done it? My gun currently shoots a very consistent .6moa with handloads as it sits.

Re: SPS Package from Short Action Customs?

Dont waste money on a factory gun and factory upgraded parts. Go aftermarket parts and have him put you a nice rifle together. Why spend the money on an unsure thing? Mark can turn your stock rifle into damn near anything you want. Buy once, cry once.

If your gun shoots that good, Marks work will greatly improve your gun and later after you shoot the factory barrel out, it will cost you less because the action will be trued. Mark does the same work that others charge 1200.00 I will not take my rifles to anyone else

Well on the one hand, the factory barrel, when set back, will have a LOT of life left, probably 4000 rounds or more ( I dont even know how long a .223 barrel lasts to be honest)

So why waste a good barrel, especially knowing what Mark said- Every gun that has gotten the SPS package has shot under half moa or even better.

On the other hand, I'm sure the custom barrel will shoot better, but the question is, how much better, and is "better" worth the extra $300 especially knowing the factory barrel will still do under .5moa, which is plenty good for me.

I'm curious to hear from someone who did it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm curious to hear from someone who did it... </div></div>

I'm curious too. I've got a .243 Varmint that I've been thinking about having poked out to an AI chamber.

One thing about your .223 that you might want to consider is the fact that, if it's the Varmint model, it has a 12 twist. A new barrel with a tighter twist would probably be the best route to go if you think you might want to shoot heavier bullets at some point down the road. If it's an SPS Tactical with the 9 twist you'll probably have more bullet choices.

Yea I have a 12 twist which kindof sucks... If I got one it'd probably be an 8 twist for the 75 A-max and similar.

But at the same time, I doubt I'll be doing any serious shooting past like 300y any time soon. So I dont really need a long range .223 bullet... the 60gr will do fine for this distance.

Depends on the results I see from people. Being realistic, its ONLY $300 more dollars not anything significant, but I'm trying to reduce unnecessary spending and $300 can buy a lot of ammo for a .4moa rifle, instead of making it a .3moa rifle.

If you look at the cost of the SPS package and the cost of the same work, but install a match barrel, the difference is usually about 150 bucks.

Well worth the extra dough to me.

Not bad pricing for a under 1/2 moa gun. NEW SPS-$550 figure SAC SPS package-$800 and lets say a barrel $300.. $1650 you have an excellent shooter.

I had Mark do the SPS package on mine and I couldn't be happier. It really did come back as a .4 MOA shooter. I thought about going the custom barrel route for an extra $300, but couldn't justify throwing away a perfectly good barrel with thousands of rounds of life left. And in all fairness, the SPS package is more than just the truing and chamber setback. It also includes the tactical bolt knob conversion and trigger job, recrown the barrel. I'll get a custom barrel when I shoot this one out, but it shoots so well now, I'm just not in a hurry to get the gucci barrel since this one shoots as well as it does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Notso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had Mark do the SPS package on mine and I couldn't be happier. It really did come back as a .4 MOA shooter. I thought about going the custom barrel route for an extra $300, but couldn't justify throwing away a perfectly good barrel with thousands of rounds of life left. And in all fairness, the SPS package is more than just the truing and chamber setback. It also includes the tactical bolt knob conversion and trigger job, recrown the barrel. I'll get a custom barrel when I shoot this one out, but it shoots so well now, I'm just not in a hurry to get the gucci barrel since this one shoots as well as it does. </div></div>

Curious if you saw a increase in muzzle velocity with the new tighter chamber, using the same load or loads as before the upgrade?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea I have a 12 twist which kindof sucks... If I got one it'd probably be an 8 twist for the 75 A-max and similar.

But at the same time, I doubt I'll be doing any serious shooting past like 300y any time soon. So I dont really need a long range .223 bullet... the 60gr will do fine for this distance.

Depends on the results I see from people. Being realistic, its ONLY $300 more dollars not anything significant, but I'm trying to reduce unnecessary spending and $300 can buy a lot of ammo for a .4moa rifle, instead of making it a .3moa rifle.</div></div>
I am in the process of getting my Remington 700 223 (used to be 1:12 twist) of getting changed over to a 1:8 Bartelin that Mark at SAC is working over for me. If you want to know what I am being doing to my rifle PM me and I can send you the prices. It is also spending some time at Karl Kampfield's for some sprial fluting to the bolt and barrel.

When it was a 1:12 I shot 60GR Hornady VMAX and it was decent but I was also using a suppressor and the barrel got hot quickly and I had to wait about 10-15 minutes between strings so I decided to change barrels to a Bartlein M24/M40 1-8" .224 cal barrel and I am hoping it will handle the heat a little better and I can also shoot heavier bullets. And, as usual I can’t just to a barrel job so Mark is giving it the overall treatment to include full accuracy job; blueprinting the receiver and bolt, I seem never to be able to do anything small. I start out with a small project but then it builds from there - oh well it is only money right.

I can say more than anything else that Mark is a great guy to deal with. He is personable and really cares about making sure the customer is happy with his work. I am looking forward to getting this rifle to the range. If he says that he is getting better than 1/2 MOA from the SPS package I know he wouldn't say it unless he could do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Notso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had Mark do the SPS package on mine and I couldn't be happier. It really did come back as a .4 MOA shooter. I thought about going the custom barrel route for an extra $300, but couldn't justify throwing away a perfectly good barrel with thousands of rounds of life left. And in all fairness, the SPS package is more than just the truing and chamber setback. It also includes the tactical bolt knob conversion and trigger job, recrown the barrel. I'll get a custom barrel when I shoot this one out, but it shoots so well now, I'm just not in a hurry to get the gucci barrel since this one shoots as well as it does. </div></div>

Curious if you saw a increase in muzzle velocity with the new tighter chamber, using the same load or loads as before the upgrade? </div></div>

Yeah, maybe a little. But it was not.as much as I expected I would pick up,