• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes SS 3-9 or SS 10x HD

DaedalEVE

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2010
MD
I just got a Rem 700 5R that I need optics for and I can't quite decide which of these two SS might be better for my use.
I'll be punching paper with .308 win @ 100-200 yards for the time being.

Originally I was looking at getting an NXS, but while doing my research decided I prefer FFP. I looked at the Vortex Razor HD, and USO offerings... and while I'm really starting to become a believer in the whole "buy once, cry once" mantra, and I'd love to have either one, I'm finding it difficult to justify the expenditure as I have zero experience with turreted scopes right now. I figure an SS (though lacking in features) might be good enough to get me started, and leave me enough money so I can actually go shooting.

I guess what I really need to know is if 10x is going to be too powerful for shooting at 100-200 yards?
Also, how does the glass in the 3-9 compare with that in the 10xHD? I realize both the 3-9 and 10xHD have better glass quality than the original SS, but I have not found anything anywhere that speaks about how the 3-9 and 10xHD compare to each other.

Re: SS 3-9 or SS 10x HD

Thanks for the link. I had seen the video review itself on a different page, but hadn't seen the entire conversation underneath.

Seems the 10x has a bit better optic quality out of the two.
Think I might go for the 3-9 though, considering the ranges I'll be shooting. And when I upgrade to something else it'll make a perfect fit for one of my AR's.

Thanks for the help!

10HD is better than the 3-9FFP in every way, except that it's a Fixed 10X...I've used both extensively.

Yea I have both and use both, and unless if you need lower power for upclose work or moving targets the HD like the other guy said is better in every way. For a bolt gun shooting at 100yds and out you cannot beat it, excellent scope.